• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How long can Samsung continue this for?

michaelqian88

Apr 23, 2015
Samsung started the Galaxy line is 2010 and we are now on the 7th S model and 5th Note model, and it looks to be going strong.

The same for iPhones for that matter. Started in 2007 and now almost 10 years we are on the 6S. I'm just wondering that they can't keep this up forever right? I mean surely I don't see a Galaxy S20 or iPhone 15S etc....

I think this has been the most consistent period in mobile history. Previously we didn't have any series from any manufacturer that lasted this long.

I think both Samsung and Apple must be planning behind the scenes to take a new direction sooner rather than later. Smartphone capabilities seem to have plateaued and I believe the next step is a all-in-one device that docks like a laptop.

What is your vision? Would be interested to hear other's thoughts.

Reactions: darkomarinovic
The Nokia N series lasted 6 years, from 2005 to 2011. So almost just as long.

All in one device that docks like a laptop already exists. Android tablets can dock, and it's already the 4th iteration of the Microsoft Surface and they are doing nicely.

My vision? Progress will continue as is for Android an iOS. Mostly polishing of features. What will improve will be Windows Phones. As mobile hardware gets more powerful, Microsoft will be able to port more and more features from Windows desktop to Windows Phone, until they would be running the same OS, especially with the advent of x64 capable phone chips. Whether or not that allows them to finally become a third wheel in the smartphone game remains to be seen.

Upvote 0
I think both Samsung and Apple must be planning behind the scenes to take a new direction sooner rather than later. Smartphone capabilities seem to have plateaued and I believe the next step is a all-in-one device that docks like a laptop.

A device that's larger than most currently available smart-phones, that works as a phone including many other things? Don't think that's something I'd really want, wouldn't be pocketable for a start probably. I currently have a 6in Android smart-phone, which I keep with me at all times, a 9in Win 10 tablet, and two 13in Apple Macbooks, and each device has it's own particular uses for me.

Reactions: darkomarinovic
Upvote 0
Samsung is working feverishly on several things: two of them are 4K display and foldable screens, which will revolutionize phones. AMOLED displays were just now reported to be cheaper to make than traditional displays... so that's a huge plus right there. Battery technology has come so far that I predict flexible batteries in five years... which will change the way we hold and use phones. Ten years from now, we'll look back on the hottest shiny devices today and laugh about how we ever thought they were "cutting edge".

Upvote 0
Samsung is following Apple strategy of launching since 2010, consumers don't care whether its galaxy s and iPhone s series they always want best innovative features in their smart phones, maybe Apple and Samsung will change s series sooner, but they focus on new technologies which consumers want to use in their smart phone, this 2016 is year of virtual reality Samsung has introduced virtual reality system in galaxy s series.

Reactions: Nyadia1614
Upvote 0
As far as I'm concerned, Samsung had better start checking on its utility apps before it messes with the new stuff.

Samsung mobile print does not work on my Marshmallow Motorola x pure. The error is "SD card required" and they mean ext. SD card or maybe a partition labelled SD card a la my old Acer tab. The app just won't run.
The way the external cards are used in MM is getting awkward. I left mine as storage for media. That's mostly what it was used for anyway.

Since I have 2 Samsung laser printers, it was a hassle. I finally used an app from Hammermill that did explain it could also write to internal storage if it couldn't find a card. That worked. Samsung has pulled the app if you look on Play on the phone, but has NOT pulled it from the computer website. I prefer the computer website, easier to search and didn't see that Mobile print was pulled.

When I get ambitious, will have to see how the Brother Laser handles phone printing.

Upvote 0
@zuben el genub

you just reminded me that I had not reactivated my printer since my Note 4 crashed a while back.... ( actually it didn't crash, I downloaded something that broke the network and I lost audio on incoming calls )

I am always forever, finding things that don't get duplicated after an FDR is performed....
it is so F'n stupid for Android to lock us out of being able to copy/backup our data settings so that we can restore our devices back like they were before...

anyway, now my local printer is working again.

Upvote 0
If you weren't using Samsung Mobile Print and Marshmallow with your ext. SD card set for data, it should work.
Marshmallow is what changed the card use.

Worked just fine with the Oppo which had a card that allowed apps to store. It was running 4.3

I do have internal storage on the Moto, but it's called Internal Storage. I have an old Acer tablet where the internal storage is marked as SD card. The card you stick in the tray is the External SD card.

The Oppo had 3G of storage for main programs and allowed writing to the other internal storage for the parts of apps that could use it. It wasn't referred to as an SD card, but the Oppo also did allow the external card, and that's where Samsung put the files.

I redownloaded from Play, and that erased wherever it was installed or didn't install. It would not touch the SD card since I left it formatted for media.

The Moto sees the file on the ext. card, but can't run it, and Samsung can't install it there.

Called a damned if you do, and damned if you don't setup.

Upvote 0
I'm just wondering that they can't keep this up forever right? I mean surely I don't see a Galaxy S20 or iPhone 15S etc....

Why not? "Galaxy S" and "iPhone" are just brand names, after all.

Smartphone capabilities seem to have plateaued and I believe the next step is a all-in-one device that docks like a laptop.

Physical connections are so last century... wireless is now. :)

What is your vision? Would be interested to hear other's thoughts.

I expect less emphasis on "geewhizzwow" features and more on basics like battery life and interoperability/usability. We already have smart watches, and Samsung and Sony are showing the way forward with the Gear VR and Xperia Ear, respectively; hand-off functions to other devices to make life easier.

Upvote 0
I never use a cable anymore to transfer files to my PC, I just fire up ASUS File Manager and point/click and choose where I want them to go: Network/Device/Folder

Sometimes I see 5 devices in the house if all of the laptops/PCs/cellphones are on.

I just set up a Shared folder on each device and push the files to that folder, then they can be moved where ever they need to be.

* File Manager ASUS - Android Apps on Google Play

Upvote 0
I have 3 separate printers, 4 if I hook up an inkjet. 2 are color lasers, one is used for crafts only, and does not duplex. The other is more of a do it all color, which does duplex. (I make calendars at Xmas). The 3rd is a mono laser with duplex for printing out recipes and manuals. They are not networked. All will use wifi. The Vulcan would never be able to tell which one is which, so I don't share them.

I have software that will allow me to take a picture of an object on my cell phone and make a die-cutting template.

He can usually tell if one of my phones or computers is on line. They all have obscene names. I can't rename the printers.

I still don't see the fix for Samsung Mobile Print for Marshmallow yet, either.

Upvote 0
I expect less emphasis on "geewhizzwow" features and more on basics like battery life and interoperability/usability. We already have smart watches, and Samsung and Sony are showing the way forward with the Gear VR and Xperia Ear, respectively; hand-off functions to other devices to make life easier.

Well Samsung IS working on foldable displays. Hopefully they start selling next year (but then I won't be getting it then even if they do lol. They have been working on it since Nokia was still a big player, along with Intel, initially for the Maemo project that Microsoft shut down. Seems they have continued it on their own. That's what I really want. But more for convenience. I want a dual sim 5inch phone that unfolds into a 7 or 8 inch tablet for ebook reading. LOL.

Upvote 0
After 9 it just looks silly. Especially for us tech enthusiasts. HTC10 makes me think HTC1.0. MotoX makes me think experimental (which isn't bad but sounds risky). Once you get passed the single digits your marketing has to change. That's my theory anyway.

I don't think it sounds too bad.

iPhone-20-And-Samsung-Galaxy-s23.png

Reactions: Nyadia1614
Upvote 0
Apple have been using "OS X" for a good few years now. ;)

Indeed, they've been using the name "Mac" for a very long time, although a Mac from 1984, doesn't really bare much to current Macs, and they're certainly incompatible. Two changes of processor architecture, and a fundamental change in the OS, from classic Mac OS to Mac OS X in about 2000. For OS X, versions have always been named as well as numbered, for a long time it was big cats until they run out of those, and now it's mountains I think.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It's California landmarks these days (Mavericks is a surfing spot, Yosemite a national park and El Capitan is a mountain within said park - I don't know whether that was supposed to imply that El Cap was a smaller update than Yosemite). Mavericks always struck me as an odd choice, since it's rather niche; I've visited California many times but had never heard of it, and my guess is that I'm part of the vast majority in that respect.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones