1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps How long does it take to to write simple android apps?

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by walacie, Jan 13, 2012.

1. walacie

walacie Lurker
    None

Bearing in mind I know nothing about programming or writing languages. Is it the sort of thing that takes a few weeks to learn the basics of, or are we talking months? What is the sort of time scale on learning?

Any android developers willing to shed some light on this?
    Wedding Gifts India

Advertisement

2. alhenderson

alhenderson Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 16, 2010
    Software Engineer
    Northampton, UK
    I'm not an Android developer by any means (I am a programmer, though). I had a thought the other week that I might try to write an Android app so I started to try and set myself up with the appropriate tools. This involved downloading a lot of stuff and setting up a development environment, the end result of about 3 hours work was I had an Android app written, but it wouldn't work on the simulator on my PC.

This was probably due to some configuration problem in my setup, I haven't been back to it since. I would think you would need at least a basic grounding in programming to get started in this, although I guess it all depends on how easily you pick up new stuff etc.

I was working from a web page I found which went through getting you started on writing your first Android app - can't remember the URL now, unfortunately.

Not much help really, I know.

Al.

3. jiminaus

jiminaus Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 27, 2011
    Sydney, Australia
    You'll need to a get a good grounding in Java. Try going through the following section of the The Java™ Tutorials:
    1. Getting Started
    2. Learning the Java Language
    3. Essential Classes
    4. Collection

Perhaps then you can check out the material at developer.android.com.

How long it takes for you before you write a simple Android app is irrelevant. It's deceptively simple to write simple apps. There's lots of challenges, walls and pitfalls that you'll need to conquer before you will have created your first app of substance. Few of these will materialise in a simple toy app.

4. jaeela

jaeela Lurker
    None

Jan 15, 2012
    Male
    Indiana
    It just depends on how fast of a learner you are. I think it took me about a month or so, and then for the Android developing, it only took a couple days to figure out. Definitely would recommend Eclipse and the ADT plug-in.