• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How long does your battery last after "typical" usage?

no 3g, apndroid to turn off gprs when not using it (i use it maybe 10 minutes a day) wifi just to sync apps, newsrob (google reader feeder) and 3 or 4 phone calls a day. i am charging every 2-3 days. the stock battery indicator is terrible. it is full for 2 days, then drops very quickly. apparently the other battery life indicators drain the battery faster so i haven't used them.

Upvote 0
I usually have Wifi, 3G, bluetooth, autosync and GPS off. I usually listen to music a couple hours each day. Phone comes off the charge at 8:00a, and by 10:00p that night i'll have 20-30% left of the battery, but I've been trying to improve my battery life. I just rooted and switched to GalaxHero today, and I don't know if my battery life will change because of it, but i'll be testing it out this week to see if there's any change.

Upvote 0
i've been told you need to "train" your battery to last long by only charging it when it's low, because charing the phone when the battery is full/not low eventually shortens the battery life, but i haven't heard of any damage being done to the battery. to be safe, though, i wouldn't leave it on the charge longer than you need. something like overnight probably would be okay, i'd think.

Upvote 0
I usually have my Galaxy plugged into my laptop with the USB cable most work days, and hooked up to the charger every night. You might say I only need the battery to carry me through my spare time.

My usage varies quite a bit, mostly light entertainment (reading, sudoku, no intensive games). Every now and then, I need geo-awareness, for walking directions or exercise monitoring. I always use 3G telephony (there's no 2G coverage for me here), and sometimes have GPS enabled even if I don't use it at the time. Wifi is only on when I need it.

With this setup, I get one, maaaybe two days of normal use. The other day it ran down completely in under 24h even though it stayed in my pocket. (I still feel that nothing beats the Psion and Palm pda's of yesteryear.)

Upvote 0
Using default firmware (I8), I'd say it would be completely drained in a little over 24h. I usually unplug at 8.30 am, go about my day using full autosync (incl K9mail with 3 syncs/hour), 3G, and possibly a bit of WiFi as well. When I go to bed around midnight and plug it back in, it's usually down to 40% remaining.

Upvote 0
wtf thats impossible. i doubt it lasts more than 20h with gmail sync on. I had galaxo 1.1.

im using the new one now (K4?), with sync disabled, checking mail/weather/finance every hour or so, it loses about 15% per whole day.

well, it is possible. I can't say, it always lasts 30h between each battery charges, but it definitely reach 30h for most of the time.

NOTE:
I had disabled calendar, contact sync, leave only gmail sync on, has no widgets at all on desktop, has no weather/news kinda app running in background.

Upvote 0
My usual day with my Galaxy is like 1 hour of music per day, WiFi on for maybe one hour just to check my email and news, lots of messaging, a couple of phone calls per day, twice or thrice sync over WiFi, looking at pictures a few times, brightness on lowest, 2G only and that's about it. I charge it every third day without any problems. :)

So not a heavy user, but never had complaints about the battery life.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones