• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How long for first charge?

Zoandroid

Android Expert
May 28, 2010
Ohio - USA
Just got my shiny new Note 10.1 wifi version. The supplied charger surprised me with the 0.35A rating stamped on it. I'd been told tablets don't charge by microUSB because their battery needed more than the typical 1A charge rate on many smartphones.

So, how long should I expect this first charge to take? Looks to have been about half charged when I started.

My other question to Samsung - if this can charge at such a low rate, what's with the proprietary charge connector? Why not use the typical microUSB?

Just got my shiny new Note 10.1 wifi version. The supplied charger surprised me with the 0.35A rating stamped on it. I'd been told tablets don't charge by microUSB because their battery needed more than the typical 1A charge rate on many smartphones.

So, how long should I expect this first charge to take? Looks to have been about half charged when I started.

My other question to Samsung - if this can charge at such a low rate, what's with the proprietary charge connector? Why not use the typical microUSB?

Somethings wrong, mine is 2.1 amp which they recommend, that's about 8 hours if you are about empty, sure you can charge it with a lower amp charger but I expect it will take forever, more than overnight I expect which is what most of us want. (a full tank in the morning).

Reactions: Zoandroid
Upvote 0
Thanks!

But as I read the thread and got to post 10 it is explained that it doesn't do system settings. My use of a nandroid is rather like the old Drive Image utility. An easy way to restore a device that has gotten hosed right back to the moment you made the backup, complete with all the apps and settings intact. Looks like nandroids are the only current way to do that.

I know I can use ES File Explorer to keep APKs backed up, and I do the (real) SD card and internal memory manually copying it to my PC weekly. Some folks don't get why I back up the internal memory, but the main reason is that so many apps now see it as their target because it is often labeled as "sd card" on so many Android devices. Every time I find another app that doesn't allow me to choose the location for its backup of files and data I write the dev, explain this issue, and ask them to please make the choice of backup target location a user configurable option. Without being able to truly put the files on the REAL external SD card, if they are not also backed up they can be lost if the device fries. I've dealt with data loss due to that. No way to get it back.

Copying files by USB can be a challenge since USB Mass Storage went out the window, but I learned that one thing blocking me from copying some of the files in the past is the insanely long path names of some of the internal memory files (I do them all, rather than picking which ones my apps created). Such paths can be found in the /Android and /Evernote folders of internal storage, so I avoid those 2 folders. Since doing that, I have not once had any more issues with files not copying over to a Windows PC.

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
I'm debating going without rooting this thing, if only I could find some non-root app that would let me back things up like a nandroid does. Has anyone ever come up with something like that?

Quick question, I am a bit vague on rooting, what I would like to do is remain fully stock but open up those protected areas so I can get a total full backup.

Still want to be able to use the play store, still want updates, expect that is the Android version changes in an update I will have to re-root.

Can one root just to open up the protected areas so one can use Titanium backup for a full backup and still use the play store, take updates and all that.

Thanks

Upvote 0
Yes rockets, you can leave the device otherwise untouched and still have root. Most of my devices are that way. If you don't know what to look for, you wouldn't even be able to tell they are rooted.

Thanks a ton, I shall take this over to the rooting section soon and get some details so I don't brick it. (actually if it's easy I am doing all three Note 8, 2014 10.1 and non 2014 10.1).

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Quick question, I am a bit vague on rooting, what I would like to do is remain fully stock but open up those protected areas so I can get a total full backup.

Still want to be able to use the play store, still want updates, expect that is the Android version changes in an update I will have to re-root.

Can one root just to open up the protected areas so one can use Titanium backup for a full backup and still use the play store, take updates and all that.

Thanks

Forgiven is correct, except maybe for the part about "taking updates". To my knowledge accepting an OTA update usually loses your root access. Although I have recently read about a utility that lets you somehow preserve root and get it back easily after the OTA update, but I don't know any details yet. I think it was called Root Keeper?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones