1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support How Long Should Number Porting Take?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by katamari, Feb 23, 2010.

1. katamari

katamari Active Member

Jan 23, 2010
    Riverside, CA
    I got my phone today and activated it at about 3:30pm (PST) today. It's just past 8:00pm and my number still hasn't been ported. How long did it take you to port your number? Am I supposed to contact my old network or something?

Advertisement

2. OctoPI

OctoPI Member

Jan 14, 2010
    Dallas, TX
    If I remember correctly it took me about 12-18hours. I did it all via the google page but T-Mobile called me about 4 hours after I got my phone and I had to give them my AT&T account number. Then they started the porting.
    Timeline was:
    Got the phone around noon. At 4pm, I got a call from T-Mo and gave them the info for my old AT&T account. Around 8pm my phone number was ported but still didn't get text messages. The next morning at 6 am, everything was working as it should (I believe it was fully done during the night but not sure of the exact time.
    So in my case it was a maximum of 18 hours.

3. raremage

raremage Well-Known Member

Nov 13, 2009
    <48 hours is the stock answer, but it usually happens much more quickly. If it takes more than four you probably will need to provide an account number (and possibly PIN/password) at some point.

4. phenixdragon

phenixdragon Well-Known Member

Feb 21, 2010
    The few times I have done it it was ported over within minutes.

5. Foo (AZ)

Foo (AZ) Well-Known Member

Jan 19, 2010
    Arizona, USA
    Yeah, minutes for me too, but I called into TM to do it. However, my data service took a little longer while the request filtered down through their various systems.

6. wmm

wmm Well-Known Member

Jan 5, 2010
    For me it took longer because my AT&T account was under my wife's SSN and I opened the new T-Mobile account using mine. The discrepancy bollixed the automatic process and I had to call T-Mobile customer service to get it done. As I recall, once I talked with customer service it only took an hour or so before I got the "Welcome to T-Mobile" text message and I could dial out on the phone, but for a few hours after that I had to carry both phones because incoming calls still rang my AT&T phone. Everything was all set by the time I got up the next morning, though.

Tags: