• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How long to charge for the first time?

Wow how little so many seem to know about batteries. Granted they are not the old NiCads but they do still have memory. What you need to do with any new battery is something called conditioning (look it up to gather more detail)
Ok do not charge your battery the first time until it completely dies. Then charge the battery fully. Repeat this process not charging or connecting the device to USB 5x. Fully charge and slowly discharge. Then once a month make sure to completely discharge then recharge the device. A program called "battery discharge" will help with this but I suggest only using it under 15% as you want to slowly discharge the battery and not let it heat up. I suggest not using the device as a phone for a week and just stroll the internet or play games so as you are not tempted to prematurely charge the device. I have a G2 that is 3 years old and it holds a charge like it was brand new. My Sensation is the same.

Reactions: kn0t
Upvote 0
Well to this day I've never had a phone I needed to do all this conditioning to the battery and for many of us with the Note 2 we've used it like crazy the minute it came out the box.

By the time I put mine on the charger it wasn't because the battery was low but because I played with it for hourrrrrrrrs and was tired!!!!

All it took was one person to say condition the battery and the internet went nuts like it was now the new gold standard.

Upvote 0
Wow how little so many seem to know about batteries. Granted they are not the old NiCads but they do still have memory. What you need to do with any new battery is something called conditioning (look it up to gather more detail)
Ok do not charge your battery the first time until it completely dies. Then charge the battery fully. Repeat this process not charging or connecting the device to USB 5x. Fully charge and slowly discharge. Then once a month make sure to completely discharge then recharge the device. A program called "battery discharge" will help with this but I suggest only using it under 15% as you want to slowly discharge the battery and not let it heat up. I suggest not using the device as a phone for a week and just stroll the internet or play games so as you are not tempted to prematurely charge the device. I have a G2 that is 3 years old and it holds a charge like it was brand new. My Sensation is the same.

This subject comes up every time a new phone launches. The only real reason to discharge a lithium ion battery is to get the phone's icon or battery percentage indicator as close as possible to the actual juice left in the battery.

HowStuffWorks "How Lithium-ion Batteries Work"

Upvote 0
Ok You can look online and get as many answers as you want to the subject, and they are all right to a certain extent. How ever in real life if you take say a laptop seems to be a good example and plug it in and use it as a desktop pc (a normal thing these days) and say you keep it plugged in 24/7 come back in 6 months and tell me a lithium battery has no memory. Some people condition there cellphone without even thinking about it. Mostly cause a smartphone used through out the day is usually pretty much dead when they get home and put it on the charger if not completely dead. Do you have to condition a lithium battery for a normal cell phone user No not really. Should you? really up to you. If you want to know the truth talk to people who really know batteries like lithium ion or li-pos. Ask R/C enthusiastic as Construction workers, ask people who use battery ever day for a living or as a serious hobby and they will tell you if you want the most out of any battery condition it, and condition it regularly. Is it that serious for a normal cellphone user probably not.

Upvote 0
The reason the laptop batteries have issues running plugged in is because the constant charging causes extra heat that degrades the battery. It has nothing to do with memory effect. The reason li-on batteries go bad is heat and there really isn't any other issue.

HERE HERE !!!!! I can truly agree with this. I've been through 2 MacBook batteries for this very reason.

Upvote 0
HERE HERE !!!!! I can truly agree with this. I've been through 2 MacBook batteries for this very reason.

One thing I liked about my alienware laptop before it became a desktop (due to battery/mobo issues) is it has an option, (you press FN + F2) and then the charger will power the laptop, but not actually charge the battery :p

Of course I never used this option, and then my battery died a painful death

Upvote 0

Speaking of Wow, that's so ignorant I can't NOT write something on this BS. Li-ion and LiPo batteries DO NOT have anything like a 'memory' affect and they DO NOT have to be cycled to get max out of them. Holy Moly. As an engineer and a long time Remote Control airplane hobbiest with lots of Lithium based batterys powering all kinds of things and expensive chargers to do the job I just can't let that BS go unchecked.

Here's a layman's guide: HowStuffWorks "How Lithium-ion Batteries Work"

Upvote 0
Speaking of Wow, that's so ignorant I can't NOT write something on this BS. Li-ion and LiPo batteries DO NOT have anything like a 'memory' affect and they DO NOT have to be cycled to get max out of them. Holy Moly. As an engineer and a long time Remote Control airplane hobbiest with lots of Lithium based batterys powering all kinds of things and expensive chargers to do the job I just can't let that BS go unchecked.

Here's a layman's guide: HowStuffWorks "How Lithium-ion Batteries Work"

Ok I guess "memory" as far as a layman goes was incorrect.

Lithium batteries have a "Battery fuel gauge"

The "Battery Management System" (BMS)

"The BMS assures safety, long life and provides state-of-charge (SoC)."

"The accuracy of the SoC is good enough for consumer products and it decreases with use and time."

"The challenge of the so-called “smart battery” is keeping the electrochemical battery and the digital battery together. The electrochemical battery is known as the actual energy storage vessel and the digital battery is the circuitry that predicts the remaining energy."

"All batteries have losses and the released energy is always less than what has been fed into the pack. Inefficiencies in charge acceptance, especially towards the end of charge, resistive losses that turn into heat, and storage losses in the form of self-discharge reduce deliverable energy. A common flaw with BMS design is assuming that the battery will always stays young and energetic. Aging takes on many dimensions and some BMS compensate by observing user pattern and environmental conditions to derive a “learn” algorithm that is meant to correct the tracking error. Such modelling helps but there are limitations because battery aging cannot always be tracked accurately."

"Calibration, also known as capacity re-learning, is a better method to correct the tracking error of a smart battery. Manual calibration occurs by running the battery down on purpose. This can be done in the equipment or externally with a battery analyzer. With most fuel gauge chips, a full discharge resets the discharge flag and the subsequent recharge sets the charge flag. Establishing these two flags allows SoC calculation by tracking the distance between the flags."

Ok now this is where I said once a month because I rounded down from 40 to 30 to just keep it simple assuming you stick the phone on a charger or connect it to a computer once a day.

"The calibration of a device in constant use should be done once every three months or after 40 partial cycles. If the device applies a periodic deep discharge on its own accord, no additional calibration is required."

Improving BMS

"When designing a BMS, one also must consider how the battery serves the host. In an iPhone and most EVs, for example, the battery is “married” to the host. This enables collecting data for learning. The battery and device co-habitat in a similar way to partners in a good marriage. Batteries for two-way radio,"(or a cellphone)"on the other hand, are picked from a common charger and returned to a pool for recharging after use. Learning is difficult and a different method must be used to track battery health."

I personally use Gauge battery widget https://play.google.com/store/apps/...5odWJhbGVrLmFuZHJvaWQuZ2F1Z2ViYXR0d2lkZ2V0Il0.

and

Battery Booster https://play.google.com/store/apps/...wsMSwxLDEsImltb2JsaWZlLmJhdHRlcnlib29zdGVyIl0.

You can read the full article here
How to Improve the Battery Fuel Gauge - Battery University

Source

Research is performed by the Center for Automotive Research at the Ohio State University in collaboration with Oak Ridge National Laboratory and the National Institute of Standards Technology.

Simple Guidelines for Charging Lithium-based Batteries

A portable device should be turned off while charging. This allows the battery to reach the threshold voltage unhindered and reflects the correct saturation current responsible to terminate the charge. A parasitic load confuses the charger.

Charge at a moderate temperature. (I am going to use a 5v 1A charger to keep temperature down, instead of the 5v 2A charger that came with the Note 2)
Do not charge below freezing.

Lithium-ion does not need to be fully charged; a partial charge is better.

Chargers use different methods for “ready” indication. The light signal may not always indicate a full charge.

Discontinue using charger and/or battery if the battery gets excessively warm.

Before prolonged storage, apply some charge to bring the pack to about half charge.

Over-discharged batteries can be “boosted” to life again. Discard pack if the voltage does not rise to a normal level within a minute while on boost.

A guide to how to prolong battery life

How to Prolong Lithium-based Batteries - Battery University

Priming a new Battery

"Rechargeable batteries may not deliver their full rated capacity when new and will require formatting. While this applies to most battery systems, manufacturers of lithium-ion batteries disagree. They say that Li-ion is ready at birth and does not need priming. Although this may be true, users have reported some capacity gains by cycling these batteries after long storage." (or after say continuous usage)

" However, a full discharge/charge will reset the digital circuit of a 'smart' battery to improve the state-of-charge estimation."

Onto another source for redundancy as I do not particularly like being called ignorant. I prefer less accurate if you must but hopefully this thorough post should clear up any short comings unlike your lack of vocabulary and name calling.

Priming Li-Ion Batteries

"The predominant statement you will find is that new Li-Ion batteries do not require priming. Nevertheless, you should fully charge your Li-Ion battery before using it for the first time."

Cycling Li-Ion Batteries

"Li-Ion batteries have a lifetime of 300 to 500 full charging cycles or up to 2000 partial cycles. There are reports that cycling a Li-Ion battery after long storage periods, i.e. fully discharging and re-charging it for two or three cycles, leads to to capacity gains. Other sources recommend cycling Li-Ion batteries every couple of weeks." ( or you know I go with lets say once a month) "Generally, you should not fully discharge your Li-Ion battery."

Caring For Your Li-Ion Battery

"While Li-Ion batteries do not have a memory effect and don’t need to be primed or cycled to maintain full capacity, their lifetime can still be shortened dramatically, if not cared for right. Two things can damage Li-Ion batteries: deep discharges and heat. All of the following battery DOs and DON’Ts are derived from these two major factors."

Li-Ion Battery DOs

partially discharge and recharge (no memory effect).
charge at lower voltage.

take out battery when laptop is running with AC power connected

store battery in refrigerator with a 40-50% charge

cycle the battery every few weeks or after every 30 partial charges. (or you know for a cellphones lets say once a month)

Li-Ion Battery DON’Ts

deep discharge battery

trickle charge (Leaving the device plugged in as the charger will top off the battery over time)

ultra-fast charge. (Even though the Samsung Note 2 came with a 2A charger I am going to keep using my old HTC 1A charger for a slower charge, this will also help keep down heat, one of the major issues with damaging a lithium battery)

leave fully charged battery in laptop while running on AC power (heat damage)

freeze battery

buy old Li-Ion or spare batteries (Li-Ion batteries age)

Source
How To Increase The Lifetime Of Your Laptop Battery

"Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, engineers often refer to "digital memory" on batteries with fuel gauges. Repeat small discharges with subsequent charges do not allow the calibration needed to track the chemical battery with the fuel gauge. A deliberate full discharge with recharge every 30 charges, (or you know lets say a once a month) or so, will correct this problem. Letting the battery run down in the equipment to the cut-off point will do this. If not done, the fuel gauge becomes increasingly less accurate."

Source
Getting the most of your batteries

How to Refurbish Lithium-Ion Batteries

1. Allow the battery's power to run out. This can be done by installing the battery in a device and keeping the device on until the battery energy expires. Lithium-ion batteries are commonly used in handheld or portable devices such as laptops or gaming systems. They are unique because they function better after a full discharge rather than a partial one. This is because most lithium-ion batteries contain fuel gauges that create a sort of digital recording of the battery's charge state. Full discharges will effectively provide a re-synchronization of the battery's current charge state with the fuel gauge level. This will help to reduce any added load to the circuitry in the battery.

2. Place the battery in a battery charger. Let the battery charge to its full power capacity. Once the battery is fully charged remove it from the charger.

3. Place the battery in the device. This process will cause the battery's fuel gauge to synchronize with the battery's current charge state and helps to maintain functional capacity. An important tip to maintain longevity of the battery is to keep it in a cool location because elevated temperatures can damage the circuitry. Also when storing the battery it is best to do so when the battery still has some partial charge remaining. To maintain proper fuel gauge calibration it is recommended to do a full discharge after at least 30 charges. (You know or Once a Month)

Source

Read more: How to Refurbish Lithium-Ion Batteries | eHow.com http://www.ehow.com/how_7593284_refurbish-lithiumion-batteries.html#ixzz2BNm5UTse

Speaking of Wow, that's so ignorant I can't NOT write something on this BS.

Not sure where you got your "Engineering" degree from but you must have flunked English. I am not even going to comment on you inability to form a complete sentence. Never mind your double negatives.

So there you go if you want to call that BS and me ignorant I think you need to do more research before running off at the mouth with your one source. And yes its obvious you are just a layman. So you can stick to your layman sources.

I have had my G2 for over 2 years well over 1000 cycles and its still going strong. Matter of fact my HTC 8525 still holds a decent charge as I took it out and messed with it the other day. My Sensation has no issues at all either. This maybe my opinion, and I may have misspoke as far as exact terms go. How ever I do not resort to name calling and using vocabulary like "BS" to literate my point. I just state facts and opinions if you do not want to listen to them that's fine but no need for childish behavior. This isn't 4chan or youtube this is a discussion forum.

Oh and since your some sort of "engineer" here is some more light reading you know if you are capable of comprehending it, with your vast knowledge of the subject and oh so obvious "R/C enthusiast"

http://www.batteryeducation.com/2008/08/digital-memory.html

"Although lithium-ion is memory-free in terms of performance deterioration, engineers often refer to "digital memory" on batteries with fuel gauges.

Upvote 0
what a load of cock. Do you seriously think average jo will do all this nonsense conditioning??? I've tried it once and thought "what a palava" and never done it since.

My battery lasts all day and if it runs empty so what - I recharge it amazingly when I get home!

I've never had a battery die. They never get to a state where it needs replacing. You can type all you want about these but its a small battery in a phone that trickle discharges. When its empty BOOM plug it in again.

I've seen so many battery "experts" on here say 'don't let it drain completely', 'let it drain completely once a month' blah blah it get confusing for some and it ends up here.

When I got this note 2 and the note and every other phone I couldn't resist playing then plugged it in when it got low. It amazingly didn't start smoking or coughing or anything.

technology is good enough for Jo Bloggs not to have to worry about the battery lol. I think not using the supplied 2a charger is just daft in any sense of the word - thats just unnecessarily causing concern to some who fret about things like this! My battery doesn't get warm when charging.

If you disagree because you know more than me/us then have sleepless nights over your battery. I wouldn't care personally how many recharges I've carried out - if the battery gets sluggish just replace it mate - they are cheap enough and really after over a year my previous devices have not caused me to get too upset about their state. Go out and enjoy the world instead - its a big place and you dont last long :)
I won't worry about my battery, and I wouldn't recommend anyone else worries to much. Just enjoy your N2.

Reactions: ScandaLeX
Upvote 0
I didn't intend for it to turn out so long, its there for anyone who wants the information that comes from several pages and I just highlighted the major stuff.

To the normal daily driver no this is a bit much, how ever I am a hiker/camper and if I can go 2-3 days on a charge and only have to carry one extra battery a few extra hours makes a difference. If you are always around a power source don't worry about it. I just wanted to remove any confusion on the subject so I went into more detail as explaining it in vanilla terms caused some confusion.

This information would be more helpful for those who are away from a power source on a regular basis such as travelers, campers, hikers, etc... Also anyone who doesn't have a removable battery, such as iphones, HTC One, tablets, etc...

Sorry for the long post

Upvote 0
I didn't intend for it to turn out so long, its there for anyone who wants the information that comes from several pages and I just highlighted the major stuff.

To the normal daily driver no this is a bit much, how ever I am a hiker/camper and if I can go 2-3 days on a charge and only have to carry one extra battery a few extra hours makes a difference. If you are always around a power source don't worry about it. I just wanted to remove any confusion on the subject so I went into more detail as explaining it in vanilla terms caused some confusion.

This information would be more helpful for those who are away from a power source on a regular basis such as travelers, campers, hikers, etc... Also anyone who doesn't have a removable battery, such as iphones, HTC One, tablets, etc...

Sorry for the long post

**whispers** links man links!!! we like links!!!! then we can read what we want and skip the rest.

Upvote 0

Sorry for the long post

if you switch off all the syncs and updates / browsing etc and put it in phone mode only, this doubles the use of a single charge though doesnt it?

I always carry one of those AA battery emergency chargers in the car as I've been caught out once whilst in London last year - lots of pics etc.

Upvote 0
Batteries are charged 80% at the factory because this ensures that the battery stays healthy just in case it may stay in the shelf for a long time.

If you turn on the phone and you see something like 75% battery life, you pretty much got it straight off the assembly line shipped to your house with 2 day shipping.

If you get a phone with 0% battery life, it is likely the phone has been stuck in a corner collecting dust for many months, and may have some unintended battery wear.

So with all that in consideration, you should be able to turn the phone on and use it because it is likely it was recently charged. If you are a stickler about these things, why not just let it charge to 100% before you use it. But if you want to use it out of the box, you should be able to use it without worry. Just put it on a charger after it dips below 15%, and charge it to full.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones