• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How long to charge the HTc Desire ?

And just how would you be able to charge it too quickly? Am I expected to unplug it every 10 minutues to give it a break?

Charge it until the light goes green, and it'll be just fine. And as mentioned already charging via a computer USB port is slower than using a wall charger.

no you are expected to use an approved charger, not a third party charger that claims to charge quicker like some car chargers claim to do as they do more harm than good!

Upvote 0
Not a good idea to try & charge a battery too quickly, as this can shorten battery life.
It's actually quite difficult to charge a LiIon battery pack too fast or with too much current as they have microchips to regulate and monitor the battery cells inside the pack. You can't overcharge or over-discharge a LiIon pack. If the charge level is maxed out, it shuts off the charge current. If it gets too hot, it shuts off the current. When the pack is fully discharged, it shuts off the current. So unless you bypass the circuit inside the battery pack, I wouldn't worry too much about it...they're quite tough to hurt.

Having said that, USB ports are rated for 500mAH output and 1000mAH input, so anything over 1A is pushing the port current and could damage the phone permanently.

Now about times, using the included AC charger, I find it typically takes about 2 hours to charge from the 20-30% level. Depleted battery would probably take closer to 3 hours. Using the USB port will take about 30% longer to charge from the same levels.

Upvote 0
I usualy had about 2h of charging time but now suddenly it charges 4-5hours.
What happened? Any idea? I'm not charging via USB but on the wall charger.
Hard to say exactly, but I suppose it's possible the charger is flaky. Put the phone on charge via the USB port on your computer and see what it does. If it's faster than the AC adaptor, then I'd say the adaptor is wonky.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones