1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How long until icecream sandwich becomes mainstream? or will we skip it & go straight to j JellyBean

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by deathrow, Jan 5, 2012.

1. deathrow

deathrow Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2012
    How long is it likely to be until icecream sandwich becomes mainstream on most androids?

or will we skip it & go straight to jellybean & Call ICS the windows ME of the android world..

I have heard its been out 6 months now But I have yet to see an android running it & apparently its only on 0.6% of all androids..

I have been waiting on ICS to come out myself before I buy my first android cause I got pretty hyped about it..
    (currently been playing with my GF's one from time to time)
    But of course it seems like a very long wait..

Advertisement

2. DexTyler

DexTyler Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 19, 2011
    6 months? I don't know who you've heard that from but ICS only came out last month. Not everyone has the upgrade yet since it's up to the manufacturer if they want to update or not. Nexus devices have it and some Samsung devices too but others like Motorola and LG have not just yet.

3. AngelArs

AngelArs Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 24, 2011
    vB code analysis, Android / iOS Developer, CEO My
    Well that's what happens when someone only tells you half of the story ;)

ICS was previewed at the May 2011 Google I/O event, HOWEVER it wasn't officially launched as a SDK until October 19th, 2011, at the Galaxy Nexus unveiling :)

You will see more about it this spring, and no, it's not even close to being like windows ME :D

4. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    An SDK is one thing, a code base is another.

The first phone released with ICS was the Galaxy Nexus in the UK in November. The second was the Galaxy Nexus in December.

The code was pushed to AOSP repository in mid-November and independent development builds in alpha and beta appeared in December.

Translation - it's been out commercially in the US for less than a month, about 2 months for some parts of the world, and no significant launches besides the Nexus have occurred since.

OP, you have been severely misinformed.

And 6 to 8 month advance warning is common.

5. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    If you are not afraid to root and ROM, some phones have ICS already, or will soon enough. New phones will have ICS by the end of winter or in the spring. Current phones will be getting their upgrades here in the next few months, as well.

It takes time for manufacturers and carriers to implement a big OS change (ICS is no small upgrade over Gingerbread) to each of their devices, then there's always bug fixing to be done.

6. deathrow

deathrow Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2012
    Yeah I think I may have slightly miss read the Article, The 6 months was talking about when the majority of the upgrades was rolled out, But it was blurred in with the rest of the article poking fun at the time the OS has been out for & how few devices had the OS..
    The article was entirely negative which is why I probably got confused & thought they were saying it had been out 6 months

Ice Cream Sandwich MIA? Only on 0.6% of Android Devices | PCWorld

7. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Wow! What a hilariously biased article! :D

I hate this. Here you are an honest consumer looking for information and that is a site with a big name from their print days. Now, just snake oil stories to drive up web advertising, because sensationalism sells. Makes me sick. :(

Here are my suggestions for tech/Android news -

Our sister site - Android Phone

Anyway worthy competitor - Droid Life - An intense Android news community bringing you the latest in phones, rooting, apps, and reviews..

And the top pure technology news site -

Ars Technica

Meanwhile, here's what you really care about on the current landscape :

ICS improves over the current Gingerbread by improving task management on dual core phones.

ICS offers new features over plain Android previously, but many of those features have been around on manufacturer OS overlays to Android.

ICS is designed to run on tablets or phones equally well, just appearance differences as hardware changes. And actually, that was a Honeycomb design goal, they just never got it together.

I have switched to Eclair, Froyo and Gingerbread as quickly as I could. But going from Android 2.x to 4.x is the first major phone upgrade in Android, by the primary revision number in over 2 years.

Just like a major Windows change, that won't happen overnight. (One of my machines is still running XP Pro, if you see my point.) Most people will go for ICS asap, but many will stick with what just works.

8. Logan47

Logan47 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 1, 2011
    Geocache
    It just goes to show you if you want real information, come to sites like this where people actually buy, use and have knowledge of the real thing as opposed to spending a lazy afternoon lunch knocking up a utterly rubbish article. Pcworld mag as its finest.... :rolleyes:

EarlyMon likes this.
  9. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    I think they sent an iSheep to make an article aboun Android.

10. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    That's exactly why I joined up here.

I was tired of being confused and not knowing who to believe and here was this group of users, some like me, some lots smarter.

I love this place. I trust users! :)

11. AndroidAdvntge

None

Dec 29, 2011
    If the next OS upgrade is called JellyBean... You will be my hero.

12. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    That's been the rumored name for a while, but it's not confirmed.

I'm holding out for Tiramisu. :)