• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How long will a mac last?

Vinsanity93

Android Enthusiast
Apr 8, 2010
NY
I'm planning a Macbook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz i7, 8GB RAM and 256 SSD for college. Its going to cost about $3,300 so I need it to last at least 4 years. My last laptop which wasn't a Mac only lasted about a year and a half. I've never really used a Mac so I don't really know what it's like compared to a PC.

I'm planning a Macbook Pro 17" 2.8 GHz i7, 8GB RAM and 256 SSD for college. Its going to cost about $3,300 so I need it to last at least 4 years. My last laptop which wasn't a Mac only lasted about a year and a half. I've never really used a Mac so I don't really know what it's like compared to a PC.

what do you mean by "last".

I've got a an athlon k6 350 that still runs. I've also got a 1gig celeron laptop that runs 7 just as nice as you please and a fujitsu c2d tablet thats been beaten to hell daily for 3 years and still runs beautifully.

my 2c: thats an *obscene* amount to spend on a laptop, even a MBP. Unless you're dead set on the osx experience, or a giant hulk of a laptop, I suggest you look elsewhere.

you could save 1000$ *easily* and not skimp on performance.

disclaimer: I love apple hardware, I really do. however, the premium price is just an absolute dealbreaker. buy a dell and put ubuntu on it, problem solved.

Upvote 0
"How long will a mac last?" A very good question indeed.

Almost 3 years ago I bought a 15inch MacBook Pro. It's travelled all over Europe, America and China with me. Had a hell of a lot of use and it's still working OK, well apart from the DVD drive which has given up burning DVDs, but it plays them fine, and I've just put a new battery in it. BTW it was Windows Vista which made me buy the MBP, having never had a Mac before.

Before having the MBP, I had a 15inch HP Pavilion running XP which probably cost half of what the MBP did. Thing practically fell apart in less than a year. I guess you get what you pay for.

Upvote 0
Why would you buy a computer (especially laptop) to last four years??? Computer technology moves very fast, and four years is a long, long time in the world of technology. I'd strongly suggest you buy a computer expecting to use it for no more than two years. After two years you'll likely be ready for a new one anyway.

Personally, when it comes to laptops I'd say buy the cheapest decent one that does what you need and replace it as often as you need and can afford. I look at mobile technology as disposable, not only because it's quickly outdated, but because it also tends to get abused, lost and stolen.

Upvote 0
Why would you buy a computer (especially laptop) to last four years??? Computer technology moves very fast, and four years is a long, long time in the world of technology. I'd strongly suggest you buy a computer expecting to use it for no more than two years. After two years you'll likely be ready for a new one anyway.

I think it all depends on your uses and expectations, as to how long you expect a computer to last.. About 10-12 years ago I was really into gaming, I was either doing major upgrades or buying a new rig nearly every year.

Recently however I'm doing a lot of travel. So my needs have changed somewhat, to namely internet browsing, VOIP, office, photos and some video work. I tend to keep computers for longer now, provided it still works and is useful for the tasks I want to do. I expect my current computer, a Macbook Pro to probably last 5 years before replacing it.

Personally, when it comes to laptops I'd say buy the cheapest decent one that does what you need and replace it as often as you need and can afford. I look at mobile technology as disposable, not only because it's quickly outdated, but because it also tends to get abused, lost and stolen.

Now I don't tend to at look mobile technology as disposable. For one there is far too much e-waste around.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VIeOeX_zTWI

My thinking is keep it as long as it's still useful, and still does what you need of it.

EDIT... Just to add, I intend to keep my shiny new Galaxy S for as long as it's useful and works. This phone replaced an old Nokia E71 which was worn out.

Upvote 0
I'm not a Mac fan at all, but when I use to work for the school district they had old old as Mac laptops. I think they where G3's and G4's. In spring of 2009 they pretty much got ride of all of them and spring 2010 (which is when I left) they got ride of all the Mac's in the district.

The white design really looked like crap after all those years though, couldn't read the keyboards on some, laptops where just disgusting looking.

Upvote 0

Well like I said it's for college and moneys going to be tight. I can't keep buying a new laptop every year or 2...

Upvote 0
Well like I said it's for college and moneys going to be tight. I can't keep buying a new laptop every year or 2...

If you anticipate the Macbook Pro cost to be in the $3,000 and money will be "tight" you could buy something else now for < $1,000 and replace it in two years for another < $1,000. at that rate your $3,000 will buy 6 years + a few hundred in resale value. Not to mention that each subsequent computer will technologically be an order of magnitude superior to the previous one, if Moore's law holds true.

Upvote 0
If you anticipate the Macbook Pro cost to be in the $3,000 and money will be "tight" you could buy something else now for < $1,000 and replace it in two years for another < $1,000. at that rate your $3,000 will buy 6 years + a few hundred in resale value. Not to mention that each subsequent computer will technologically be an order of magnitude superior to the previous one, if Moore's law holds true.

The only conceivable reason i can think of why you need a laptop that powerful is to game on it...

in which case...lol. have fun in 12 months when 400$ newegg combo sales are spanking your 3k$ laptop silly.

Upvote 0
3k for a laptop thats going to write papers, listen to mp3's and steal the occasional movie or dabble in some pRon???

are u going to school for film editing or music developement??

why the need for such an expensive setup?
are you aware that if u do indeed get this sweet awsome-o expensive laptop, thieves will have an eye out? you know? plus beer will be spilled on it and college dorm rooms are a haven for the word BROKEN

Upvote 0
Wow all I asked is how long a mac will last not why I should get a pc instead..-___-

There are no guarantees. It could last 10 years or two months. On average a Mac is in service longer than a PC, but costs more. If I say you could expect a good 4 years of service from a Macbook Pro and it fails or becomes obsolete or orphaned after 2, does that provide you any comfort or recourse?

Your premise for asking was the necessity of having a working computer for a four year time frame on a budget of $3,000+. It would naturally imply that you are open to more economical alternatives.

Now I have a few questions for you.

If you have already decided that the Macbook Pro is the way to go, then why ask the question unless you are trying to justify the expense, either to yourself or to someone else who will funding the purchase?

Why have you limited your needs to only Apple products? There are plenty of legitimate reasons to do so, I am just interested in yours.

Why is it necessary to have a single machine for the duration of your education?

What are your current needs and projected (three years from now) needs for this computer?

What is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?

Upvote 0
3k for a laptop thats going to write papers, listen to mp3's and steal the occasional movie or dabble in some pRon???

are u going to school for film editing or music developement??

why the need for such an expensive setup?
are you aware that if u do indeed get this sweet awsome-o expensive laptop, thieves will have an eye out? you know? plus beer will be spilled on it and college dorm rooms are a haven for the word BROKEN

Sounds like one needs a Panasonic Toughbook for college life. Rugged Laptop Products - Panasonic Toughbook Rugged Computer Products

Should last a few years, survive beer been spilled on it, etc.

Upvote 0
What is the airspeed of an unladen swallow?

It depends on whether you are talking about an African or European swallow.

The airspeed velocity of an unladen swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles per hour*, beating its wings 7-9 times per second (rather than 43). But please note that a 5 ounce bird cannot carry a one pound coconut.

*Based upon published species-wide averages of wing length and body mass, initial Strouhal estimates based on those averages and cross-species comparisons, the Lund wind tunnel study of birds flying at a range of speeds, and revised Strouhal numbers based on that study gives an estimate that the average cruising airspeed velocity of an unladen European Swallow is roughly 11 meters per second, or 24 miles per hour.

Upvote 0

Personally, I think you might be over-buying. The 17" footprint isnt convenient for carrying, and the SSD is a potential liability. SSD drives wont outlast a traditional drive. Consider a 15" with a 7200 RPM 500gb drive with 4gb ram, which can be expanded to 8 later on. Thats about 2300 without any kind of student discount.

I have 13MBP and love it.

Upvote 0
^ agreed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! same goes with these smart phones we lust over ( i'm a luster too ;/ ) no profound need.... but they sure are fun!!!

i spoke with my dad briefly about this last night... we're missing out on some fun stuff cause we are internetting or facebooking or twittering or cell phoning or or or.... corporate americas got us by the balls!!

/rant

Upvote 0
Personally, I think you might be over-buying. The 17" footprint isnt convenient for carrying, and the SSD is a potential liability. SSD drives wont outlast a traditional drive. Consider a 15" with a 7200 RPM 500gb drive with 4gb ram, which can be expanded to 8 later on. Thats about 2300 without any kind of student discount.

I have 13MBP and love it.

The 17 inches is for autocad and ssd is if, god forbid, I dropped it.:eek:

Upvote 0
Wow all I asked is how long a mac will last not why I should get a pc instead..-___-
The problem is, if you are paying *that* much for a mac, it raises the question WHY?

I can accept that people don't game on mac, therefore there is in many respects a lot less *need* to upgrade.

however, if your going to spend that much money on a mac laptop, then you really need to evaluate what you are doing with it.

I don't like windows. I use windows because, it is best for gaming.

*IF* your spending that much on a laptop.. you really need to evaluate why and what does mac offer over PC..

And well to be blunt, if you need to ask *here* how long it will last you, then your probably not going to need that much power in it to begin with.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones