• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Many Activated Ally's Are Left?

Do you still have an activated Ally?

• Yes

Votes: 64 74.4%
  • No

Votes: 22 25.6%

• Total voters
Well my entire family had Ally's. Alas no more. We all went seperate ways. However the majority went for the Droid 4. I have the bionic. Sister has the Droid x2. Brother in law has the Rezound and sister in law has the lg spectrum. As for my immediate family we had 3 Ally's. One was practically new with no scratches. However I have sold them on ebay now. I got about 50 dollars a piece. Got over 60 for the nice one. Its lame but I already miss them. We hacked the snot out of those little phones. Had some good times with them. So I used my back to stock procedure that I made so long ago.... one last time. I was half way tempted to send them all with Velocity on them..... that way the people getting them wouldn't feel like they bought a piece of poo. Oh well maybe they will find their way to Android forums and get hacked again. One can only hope, LOL :D

Reactions: dautley
Upvote 0
Just retired my Ally last week. Moved to the Droid 3. I'm also on Page Plus pre-paid, so no free upgrades for me, and the D3 was about the latest and greatest 3G that fit my needs. Probably going to be a while until 4G phones work well on Page Plus. I was deciding between the Dinc2 and the D3, but I like the physical keyboard and the D3 has better reception where I work. The digitizer on the Ally was getting worse and worse and I didn't feel like replacing it. The back button and search button quit a long time ago and the bottom 1/4 inch of the main screen was beginning to fail as well. It was a good little phone, and thanks to all the developers it made it a great little phone.

Rooted the D3 the first day and installed a new ROM. Moved all my paid-for and no-longer-available apps from the Ally to the D3.

Upvote 0
I still have my Ally. I've been due for an upgrade since April 7th, but I've been holding out for a phone worth upgrading to. I will most certainly upgrade before data sharing takes effect, because I don't want to lose my unlimited data. Right now, the Droid Incredible 4G is looking really nice, I've been waiting to see what it's like before I make a decision. I'll miss the physical keyboard, but really I think I'm ready for a change. If they can make a slim Android phone with a physical keyboard and high-end specs, I'd jump right on it. I stopped by my Verizon store a few times to mess around with some of the phones, and I had an issue with at least every one of them.

When I first started looking at phones online, I saw the Droid 4, and I thought it would be the perfect phone for me. Though when I took a look at all the Razr styled phones in person, I just found they were too massive for me. Now I could have probably put up with that for the Droid 4, but the screen is just terrible on that, especially coming from the Ally which actually has a decent screen (292 PPI!!). I've always wanted an HTC phone, so I heard about the Droid Incredible 4G and have been waiting for it since March :p.

Upvote 0
I'm still using my Ally. Due for upgrade sometime in Feb, but has been running fine. GF is getting the Droid 3, its a free upgrade for her so might as well.

Just loaded Velocity 1.2 beta 18 this morning and loading everything back on. Had been stuck in Eclair b/c i was rooted but never rom'd b/c I relied on my phone too much.

Now i'm not sure why I left the scene and didn't follow through with following some of these threads.

LOVING Velocity!! Now if i could just stop playing and get some real work done before the Holiday weekend.

Upvote 0
Rocking Velocity 1.2.2 / 18 here. No sense in dumping something that works, even though I have a DX as backup to my Razr. Heavy, solid, and small, it's still easy to do some occasional tinkering just for fun. As long as the batteries hold out, I'll keep it going. Sentimental, sure, but the Ally has taken me on quite a ride. Mine has earned a permanent place, if only to become a display piece. Savoxis has brought the Ally to it's peak, building on all who saw the significant potential in this smartphone. I especially liked, where mine evolved, my ex's (bought based on seeing my good experience) floundered and glitched.

Upvote 0
Still have my Ally up and running as well, running Bionx.
Will be saying goodbye in about a month when the Galaxy S3 arrives at my door step :)

Truth be told, I can't wait to get rid of it, it's being a little pain in the ass the past month or so... I think it knows it's being replaced :p or.. i'm just demanding more lol

Upvote 0
Well its nearly a month later and no dinc4g D:, I preordered the S3 to lock into my unlimited data. If I dont end up selling the S3 to get the Dinc4g, I may use my Ally as a music player for a while when I'm exercising. I'll also probably do a ton of experimenting with the phone to get it to run as smoothly as possible.

Maybe the reason I'm afraid to go up to the S3 is because I dont know what I'll do with all that power in the phone since I'm coming from the Ally lol

I also flashed Velocity and I dont regret it at all. Its a lot faster than the other ROMS available

Upvote 0
i had some problems with mine so i deactivated it and started using my old htc ozone. i like the battery life with the ozone but i got the ally goin again. im runnin velocity 1.2 and when my contract is up with verizon in november i think im gonna go to page plus cause it will cut my bill in 1/2. ive been lookin and some apps for gettin a better signal but havent had much luck with then....anyone know of a good network booster app that works

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones