• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How many of you tutor other Android users?

Do you tutor people in all things Android?

• No, I'm a noobie in need of tutoring

Votes: 4 10.5%
  • I would, but nobody I know has Android

Votes: 5 13.2%
  • I have once or twice, but don't make a habit out of it

Votes: 13 34.2%
  • That's all I have time for anymore, I need to start charging for my services

Votes: 16 42.1%

• Total voters
I don't know about you guys, but in my area I was one of the early adopters of Android. I can't take all the credit, my ex was actually the one who nudged me into trying out a Droid 1 when she was due for and upgrade and they had them BOGO at the time (I wouldn't quite describe myself as kicking and screaming, but it was close... I was a big Blackberry fan back then). After 3 days she wanted to go back to her Blackberry Bold, but I was hooked. So we took both the D1's back and I ordered the DX.

So anyway, I learned a great deal of stuff on my own, but my knowledge of Android skyrocketed after I started frequenting Phandroid.com! Truly there is a wealth of information being swapped on this and other Android forums, and it's places like this that really opens uo the Android platform and all its possibilities. So once I became addicted to this site I started figuring out all kinds of crazy shit about this device. And ever time I learned something super badass about it, I would naturally have to show all my friends.

And now a bunch of them are switching over to it as well. But I'm finding that a lot of things that were like second nature to me isn't for a lot of them. So I have been tutoring a lot of them, figuring things out for them. Today I helped my buddy with an Optimus S figure out how to use the hotspot in his phone get internet to his laptop.

I've found out that there is a huge difference from devive to device. For instance I tried researching his Optimus here and found nothing in the way of rooting. But luckily I did find out how to activate the hotspot in his phone without rooting, and it was extremely easy! Just download the 'Quick Settings' app off the market and launch the mobile hotspot from there and it completely circumvents Sprints activation requirements and allows you to use it for free. Cool stuff!

I got lucky on that one. I mean once again I was able to use this site to find out something that would have taken me months to figure out all on my own.... IF I would have ever figured it out (giving myself a lot of credit in that assumption) that is. But lucky because I had guaranteed him he could use his phone to connect his laptop to the internet for free when he leaves for vacation tomorrow. His brother in law had told him there wasn't anyway to do that on his phone and I bet him I could figure it out in one afternoon. And after trying and failing to root his device with Z4root and Visionary, I thought for a minute I might lose that bet.

Finding that work-around made me look like a genius in his eyes. But I have to give all credit to this site and the fine folks who frequent here. How many of you tutor your friends and coworkers like me?

This is why the iPhone is so popular. It's easy to use for the average idiot.

I've set up Launcher Pro and Go Launcher enough times to be an expert. Nearly everyone that comes to me is on the stock launcher. And this is just scratching the surface of what you can get into.

Other basic set up stuff I've done for them:
- Enable Swype
- Clear out 10 gazillion texts
- Show them how to use the camera.
- How to send a picture in a TXT/Email
- How to get an app on a home page. Let's not even talk about a widget.
I mean......................just basic stuff!

I don't even mention rooting and ROMing. Don't want to 'go there'.

Upvote 0
Yeah it's funny because I've never been a computer wiz by any stretch. Whenever my PC would crash I would always have to take it to somebody, and they would sit there and tell me to this and that, but it was all Chinese to me.

And now that I've started messing around with these phones, everything seems so easy on them. It doesn't seem hard at all to understand or get around on. So when I'm trying to teach someone something so basic as how to create a short cut to an app and put it on the home screen, or set up a widget, and the just give me a blank stare... it drives me nuts!

Makes me realize what it must be like for all those I.T. guys at work having to deal with clueless jokers like me all day everyday! Lmao

Upvote 0
I would help but I don't have any friends with Android that need my help on something.

It's coming. Just since the beginning of the year I have seen a huge surge in Android users around this area. Like I said for the longest time it was just me. Everyone else seemed content just to have the free dumbphone they could get with their upgrade. But now most carriers have some really inexpensive Android devices for those folks who don't want ti spend $200 bucks on a phone.

So now everyone seems to be jumping on the bandwagon. It's so funny because I find myself in the middle of these strange feelings I never saw coming. Because for the longest time I was singing the praises of Android, and wondering why nobody else seemed to see the advantages in getting one? And now that everywhere I turn, EVERYONE seems to be on one Android device or another, I no longer feel special! :(

Lol, I just need to get over it.

Upvote 0
I knew nothing of Android when I got my Droid but learned as I went. Now I have a friend and my sister asking/calling me all the time with questions (I have to make house calls for my sister) and soon another friend will be getting a DInc...I'll have to learn Sense I guess. They could all figure it out for themselves if they took the time but it's easier to ask someone who knows.
Most of what I do know I learned here :)

Upvote 0
Android is all I've talked about since last Spring when I first saw one. When my friends ask about cell phones, I tell them to get an Android. If they say they got some problem with some other phone, I say, "Talk to the hand. Get an Android. Yes, there's an app for that"

So now most, if not all, have Androids now. Just a few more conversions left, waiting for contracts to run out.

Upvote 0
I'll have to learn Sense I guess. :)

Haha, this was funny to me because I recently helped a good friend of mine root and ROM his Eris, so I also had to learn Sense. I walked away from that not really knowing what all the fuss was about to tell you the truth. Having heard plenty of people swear by Sense as the greatest U.I. going, and vowing never to leave HTC because they couldn't stand Blur or Touchwiz. To me that seems a bit over the top. None of the stock U.I.'s do anything for me personally.

I would MUCH rather run GoLauncher over any of them. And even if GL didn't exist, Launcher Pro would certainly do the job. I'm sure ADW is a fine launcher as well, I just don't have any experience with it.

Upvote 0
Well to be honest the only reason people like Iphone's its cos its easier to use.. As they have no knowleadge of phones but "pro's" like us can use android ;)

Well basicly i've just got my HTC Wildfire like 3 weeks ago, and my friend got it one day before me, and i know ALOT more then he does about Android already.

I am a new user, but i am sure i can teach the basic's to someone.

Upvote 0
Haha, this was funny to me because I recently helped a good friend of mine root and ROM his Eris, so I also had to learn Sense. I walked away from that not really knowing what all the fuss was about to tell you the truth. Having heard plenty of people swear by Sense as the greatest U.I. going, and vowing never to leave HTC because they couldn't stand Blur or Touchwiz. To me that seems a bit over the top. None of the stock U.I.'s do anything for me personally.

I would MUCH rather run GoLauncher over any of them. And even if GL didn't exist, Launcher Pro would certainly do the job. I'm sure ADW is a fine launcher as well, I just don't have any experience with it.
I am curious to see what it's all about but am pretty sure that I will put Zeam on there for him (me!). I'll just tell him it's how it works. Like I will tell him GV is how it works. LOL. I know I am going to be helping him a LOT and setting his phone up the way I like it will make it much easier for over the phone consults.

Upvote 0
I pretty much set up everything on my wife's and daughter's phones. Plus a couple months ago I got a couple friends to make the switch, they both got the MT4G and I helped them get some of the basics. Whenever any of my friends have questions about Android or just phones in general I am usually the go to guy.

I am on here a lot helping people out and have walked a couple people through rooting and installing a ROM on a couple different phones. I really enjoy helping people with their Android phones and seeing the reactions when they realize how much Android can do.

Upvote 0
Yeah the guys that I helped settle in with Android that came off of flip phones couldn't believe the difference. I mean they got to listen to me say this and that about them, but it was a totally different animal once it was in their hands, and they could see for themselves their potential.

My friend with the Optimus S whom I helped figure out how to fire up his hotspot was telling his buddy at work about it and his buddy told him that running the internet through the phone like that would burn up his transmitter. Pfffffftttt... where do people come up with these things?

I told him his friend was just mad because his Android could do something his phone couldn't (well, actually he has a DX so it can, he just doesn't know how), and he was jealous.

Upvote 0
I was late on the Android train but in April I dropped all my Win 6.1/6.5 modding and jumped right on with Android... Now it seems I have quite a few that bring me their devices the day they buy them or have me help them order offline for what they need...

A few are rooting now, and some of the ones that were hesitant (BB converts) are asking how they got along without this... Im enjoying the modding and helping friends out with their new toys and being a PC tech it kinda goes together...

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones