• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How many people out there have a cracked camera lens?

How many of you that has had the phone longer then 30 days have a cracked Camera lens?

• Cracked!

Votes: 16 12.5%
  • Nope.. I'm good.

Votes: 112 87.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

hook3m

Jun 22, 2010
I have had my phone since June 14th and today noticed my camera lens is cracked. It's a very small crack that goes right across the middle and you have to look hard to see it. Doesn't seem to impact image quality as far as I can tell. It has never been dropped so I'm not sure how it happened. I don't use a case but I'm very careful with my phone. Not sure why HTC made the EVO with a raised camera lens, anytime you set it down that

Attachments

• Evo.jpg
    Evo.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 247
Never looked at this thread or my camera lens glass because, having NEVER dropped my phone, I figured there would be no problem.

Yesterday, I looked at the camera lass and, sure enough, there is a very fine hairline crack running through it. It's almost invisible when viewed from straight on but, when you look at it from just the right angle, it's there.

I've babied this phone and can say that it has never been dropped. Not a scratch, chip, ding or mark on it. Obviously, something in the bezel design is putting pressure on the glass and causing, or at least aiding, in the glass cracking.

Upvote 0
Never looked at this thread or my camera lens glass because, having NEVER dropped my phone, I figured there would be no problem.

Yesterday, I looked at the camera lass and, sure enough, there is a very fine hairline crack running through it. It's almost invisible when viewed from straight on but, when you look at it from just the right angle, it's there.

I've babied this phone and can say that it has never been dropped. Not a scratch, chip, ding or mark on it. Obviously, something in the bezel design is putting pressure on the glass and causing, or at least aiding, in the glass cracking.

Case or no case? If so what kind? Thanks.

Upvote 0
I've had my Evo since June 4th, and I just noticed this afternoon that my camera lens was cracked right down the center. Not surprising, considering it's this first thing that comes into contact with whatever surface you set it on. I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow and seeing if they will fix it (insurance through them). I don't like using cases, but I do have a screen protector on it. From now on I'm gonna try to make a conscious effort to place it face down from here on out.

Upvote 0
I've had my Evo since June 4th, and I just noticed this afternoon that my camera lens was cracked right down the center. Not surprising, considering it's this first thing that comes into contact with whatever surface you set it on. I'm going to Best Buy tomorrow and seeing if they will fix it (insurance through them). I don't like using cases, but I do have a screen protector on it. From now on I'm gonna try to make a conscious effort to place it face down from here on out.

Yea, Id probably risk the front of my phone instead of a tiny lens on the back thats easy/free to get fixed. Right... Screen protectors are good n all, I deff use one. But still dont ever see me setting my phone face down, ever. Alot of the time I prop up the kickstand and let it sit like that.

Upvote 0
I carry in a seidio active case, but still managed to crack the camera glass. I'm not sure how or when it happened, and it never seemed to affect the pictures I took. I ended up taking it to my local sprint store and told them what happened. They replaced the whole back piece at no charge (I have TEP). They said it has happened a lot recently, but don't have a reason as to why. Luckily the customer service at my Sprint store is phenom!

Upvote 0
FWIW I am sure it doesn't take a drop. Ever stick it in your pocket? A bump at the right angle just on that protruding camera glass would probably do it. I baby my phone too, but I am sure I have bumped into things without thinking much of it. I personally bought a case that has the camera flush with the back of the case mostly for this reason. Also a bit for the peace of mind if I do happen to drop the thing no all hope is lost!

Upvote 0
I'm on my third EVO, and the Seidio aftermarket battery case will definitely protect this lens cover. However, the second EVO I had did have a cracked lens cover.

To note, it's not the lens that's cracked, it's the cover over the lens. The picture quality didn't really change, but there were starting to be these light streaks in some of the last images it took.

Upvote 0
OK, Im at the sprint store right now to get my camera lens repaired. My phone is rooted and the second you pick it up you can tell it isn't "stock". Do you think I will have anything to worry about? I think I will be fine. Having the phone rooted has nothing to do with the camera lens breaking. your thoughts are welcome.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones