• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how much can I expect to pay to pick this up?

we were on the phone with att today with a question about an item on our monthly statement. I told him I was going to get the Inspire when it came out next week and asked about the $18 upgrade fee. He said the ATT store reps can waive it, and sometimes the Best Buy or Radioshack reps can, or they can offer a package with extra stuff for the same price. He then told me not to worry, because he was entering an $18 credit on my account now to take care of it.

Upvote 0
Like with most things (at least in my experience) it's all in your approach. I choose to be friendly and courteous, patient and persistent.

I simply ask them to waive the upgrade fee, if they say no, I kindly remind them that I'm an easy customer that never calls in threatening to leave or causing them headaches. I go on to say I would really appreciate them waiving the fee and they then say yes.

So to the OP, you should expect to pay the price for the phone, plus tax on the full price, not the discounted price. It's a law they must tax you on the retail price of the phone.

Where they make their money is in accessories which is an opportunity for you to allow them to make their sales pitch, and say no thank you. All their accessories are overpriced compared to buying online.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers... :)

Upvote 0
Like with most things (at least in my experience) it's all in your approach. I choose to be friendly and courteous, patient and persistent.

I simply ask them to waive the upgrade fee, if they say no, I kindly remind them that I'm an easy customer that never calls in threatening to leave or causing them headaches. I go on to say I would really appreciate them waiving the fee and they then say yes.

So to the OP, you should expect to pay the price for the phone, plus tax on the full price, not the discounted price. It's a law they must tax you on the retail price of the phone.

Where they make their money is in accessories which is an opportunity for you to allow them to make their sales pitch, and say no thank you. All their accessories are overpriced compared to buying online.

Hope this answers your questions.

Cheers... :)

Wait, they tax you on the $450 price?! I hope I read the wrong, that's crazy.

Upvote 0
why wouldnt they tax you on $450????

its a phone not food

In the state of California, they charge you tax on the full price of the phone, regardless if you are buying it for a discount. So if it's $99, most states only charge tax on that amount only. In Cali, you pay $99 plus tax on $450. That's the point, not whether or not it should be charged tax. Here in MD, I will only pay roughly $6 instead of $21.

Upvote 0
A guy (Shempster) over at Android Central forums already picked his Inspire 4G up at Costco, and guess how much... ONLY $50 with free activation!! I was considering the Atrix, but for this price I cannot pass up on a deal like this!! Not sure they will let me upgrade a week early but I'll give it a shot.

Upvote 0
A guy (Shempster) over at Android Central forums already picked his Inspire 4G up at Costco, and guess how much... ONLY $50 with free activation!! I was considering the Atrix, but for this price I cannot pass up on a deal like this!! Not sure they will let me upgrade a week early but I'll give it a shot.

Cool another one has been inspired

Upvote 0
To Hijack the OP's post lol with a very similar question:

I have a current 2 year contract on the notoriously bad Motorla Backflip with AT&T and I'm looking to pick up the Inspire on Sunday but I don't have a upgrade until like September. Will my price for the phone still be $99 or will I have to pay some crazy price and get a rebate type deal?

Upvote 0
To Hijack the OP's post lol with a very similar question:

I have a current 2 year contract on the notoriously bad Motorla Backflip with AT&T and I'm looking to pick up the Inspire on Sunday but I don't have a upgrade until like September. Will my price for the phone still be $99 or will I have to pay some crazy price and get a rebate type deal?

on your phone dialer, dial *639# (it spells out NEW) and they'll sen you a text telling you exactly when you can upgrade. If it's after Sunday, it's either the total up front cost of $400/$450, whichever is the real one

or

I believe since you've been on contract for a year, you can do a early upgrade, which includes the new contract price+ a $200 fee. So $300ish

Upvote 0
on your phone dialer, dial *639# (it spells out NEW) and they'll sen you a text telling you exactly when you can upgrade. If it's after Sunday, it's either the total up front cost of $400/$450, whichever is the real one

or

I believe since you've been on contract for a year, you can do a early upgrade, which includes the new contract price+ a $200 fee. So $300ish

Are you sure that's correct? My upgrade date isn't due until August and when I texted that number it said "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee." Plus I already confirmed earlier on today with an AT&T rep that I can get the Inspire for $99

Upvote 0
Are you sure that's correct? My upgrade date isn't due until August and when I texted that number it said "As a valued customer, we can offer you an upgrade with a new 2-yr commitment and an $18 upgrade fee." Plus I already confirmed earlier on today with an AT&T rep that I can get the Inspire for $99

Yeah. After 18 months into your contract, you can re-up again at a upgrade price. You get a $18 fee though (most of the time you can get it waived by talking to customer service rep and make up an excuse like long time customer...etc.) after the two years, the fee won't be applied.

But just to let y'all know, I don't work at AT&T, though I did do some Best Buy Mobile so I know the basic stuff. But someone like MarcMaiden could clarify an issues or internal questions about opposites and stuff.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones