1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How much data does the google reader and gmail app use?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Musichead4444, Nov 24, 2012.

1. Musichead4444

Musichead4444 Newbie

Today my family cut unlimited data. And I use the gmail and the Google reader app. How much data do those apps use. Especially if I have it set to pop up when I get a message rss feed item.

2. Ramzes13

Ramzes13 Android Enthusiast

I cannot really speak for the google reader app, maybe some one else can chime in with info on that.

As far as Gmail is concerned, this can very greatly between people based on certain factors, how often do you receive email, how large are the emails you get, and if you allow the emails to display embedded images?
    If you have the ability to connect your phone to WiFi at most places you go, then this surely will not be a problem. If you are out and about a lot when nowhere near a hotspot, then you may want to look into apps on the play store that monitor your usage by the day or even real time. I do not know many off the top of my head though. Cheers.

3. bruce73

bruce73 Android Enthusiast

Check out 3D Watchdog. It monitors both WiFi and mobile data. It's a great app and it's free.

4. GPSJoe

GPSJoe Newbie

Between Nov 6 and Nov 26 I have used 4.29MB of data as measured by my phone using. 1.03 MB of this was used when the app was in the foreground and 3.25 while the app was in the background.

I get somewhere between 10-20 emails a day and have images turned off by default. I do sometimes ask GMail to show images on some emails.