• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Much Data have you used? Have you been throttled by VZW on the ThunderBolt?

I'm not a threat....not even close. I've only used about 500 MB since the 26th (the beginning of my usage period). I do have to say that I"ve been using my phone to listen to music a lot more than my og droid. iheartradio works great on my TB, but crapped out after 5 minutes on my droid. The kids use YouTube a lot when we are out to keep them busy. I also use wifi when I'm at home and that helps a lot!! If we had the Netflix app on this phone, it would've been a different story.

Upvote 0
1zegr9x.png

No throttling here...

I'm not a threat....not even close. I've only used about 500 MB since the 26th (the beginning of my usage period). I do have to say that I"ve been using my phone to listen to music a lot more than my og droid. iheartradio works great on my TB, but crapped out after 5 minutes on my droid. The kids use YouTube a lot when we are out to keep them busy. I also use wifi when I'm at home and that helps a lot!! If we had the Netflix app on this phone, it would've been a different story.

I'm not sure why would WiFi "help a lot" if your LTE is unlimited and most likely faster.

Just me thinking out loud.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure why would WiFi "help a lot" if your LTE is unlimited and most likely faster.

Just me thinking out loud.

Well, in my boat, my signal is very sketchy at the house, and, I don't have 4G anywhere close anyway. So I'd be in the same thing. Of course, it's unlimited, so it's not really a matter of me switching to wifi simply to avoid data charges, it's more a matter of necessity at the house due to poor signal.

Upvote 0
Here's my usage, and I can't say I've been throttled yet by Verizon, although does it count if I'm using some craptacular app that sucks COUGHaBTCCOUGH or if I'm in some spotty area even though Verizon's map clearly shows 4G coverage? Is there a surefire way to find out if you're being throttled down by Verizon?

attachment.php

Attachments

• DataUsage.png
    DataUsage.png
    6.6 KB · Views: 237
Upvote 0
and here i was thinking that my 2.3GBs was breaking ground--(for me, at least)
yao :)

seriously though--that's the most i've ever used, even coming from my Evo and its wireless tethering hack. i never went over like a Gig a month.
but then again, now that i've discovered TVShowsStream app, i'm sure i'm going to be using a lot more in the upcoming months.

Upvote 0
Milan03, I'm just curious....what kind of things do you do on average, that would push over 40GB usage? I admit I'm pretty light on mine, just light browsing, and whatnot. But holy jeepers! And is that Root-tethered, or is that strictly through the phone (in which case, all the more impressive!)....or did you find a secret Netflix app that you're keeping all to yourself?

Upvote 0
Milan03, I'm just curious....what kind of things do you do on average, that would push over 40GB usage? I admit I'm pretty light on mine, just light browsing, and whatnot. But holy jeepers! And is that Root-tethered, or is that strictly through the phone (in which case, all the more impressive!)....or did you find a secret Netflix app that you're keeping all to yourself?

Absolutely not rooted. Why? I never connect myself to WiFi networks, as LTE is in 90% faster than most of residential WiFi connections. SO everything is being done on LTE, video streaming, WiFi tether, USB tether, SpeedTesting, uploading videos, photos, now Skyping. It's basically battery powered DOCSIS 3 Wideband modem in your pocket.
And it's unlimited! Why depriving yourself of your own 50mbit speeds that are there for you to use them. I never understood that perception. I work 5 days a week and it's not lik I'm trying to purposely use it. The sheer speed of LTE network is the main factor for high usage and you can't simply compare this with your 1mbps EVDO usage.
Verizon is basically testing to see what the average usage will be on LTE phones. USE IT!!!!!!

Upvote 0
Absolutely not rooted. Why? I never connect myself to WiFi networks, as LTE is in 90% faster than most of residential WiFi connections. SO everything is being done on LTE, video streaming, WiFi tether, USB tether, SpeedTesting, uploading videos, photos, now Skyping. It's basically battery powered DOCSIS 3 Wideband modem in your pocket.
And it's unlimited! Why depriving yourself of your own 50mbit speeds that are there for you to use them. I never understood that perception. I work 5 days a week and it's not lik I'm trying to purposely use it. The sheer speed of LTE network is the main factor for high usage and you can't simply compare this with your 1mbps EVDO usage.
Verizon is basically testing to see what the average usage will be on LTE phones. USE IT!!!!!!

I actually think you are on to something with the VZW testing what average usage will be. I really do think that is why we don't have the tiered plans yet. I can tell you from personal experience that I am using a lot more data on this phone then I ever did on my OG Droid, and I am not doing anything different in terms of data.

I'm still using Pandora as much as I did on the Droid, I'm still using Subsonic as much as I did on the Droid, etc. However my data usage has almost doubled. They are trying to get a baseline as to what the high and low data usage are so that when they go to tiered plans they don't cause the average customer to go over the data cap in 2 days.

Upvote 0
Of course they are testing the waters with the Thunderbolt. The next 6 months are UNBELIEVABLY IMPORTANT to Verizon, which is why I think we'll get at least 3months of the Bionic and Charge being out before they go to a tiered plan.

Verizon is upgrading to LTE on ALL of their towers by 2013. So, they'll have the bandwidth to handles most conceivable user loads. Balancing user retention with per-contract profit is worth millions, perhaps even tens of millions, of dollars to them. If they price or position the tiers poorly, they could lose too many customers to Sprint or AT&T or they could have too many people maxing out tiers without any overages.

My guess is that you'll see 1Gb for $19.99 and 3Gb for $29.99. This structure distinguishes them from AT&T by saying "Oh, yeah! You'll use AT LEAST a gig on our network!" while still undercutting AT&T on price per Gb. That pricing structure would have the added benefit of bringing over ALL of the iPhone 5 customers. BlackBerry customers would stay on their "unlimited" plans, while using <200Mb/mnth and paying $29.99.

Upvote 0
Of course they are testing the waters with the Thunderbolt. The next 6 months are UNBELIEVABLY IMPORTANT to Verizon, which is why I think we'll get at least 3months of the Bionic and Charge being out before they go to a tiered plan.

Verizon is upgrading to LTE on ALL of their towers by 2013. So, they'll have the bandwidth to handles most conceivable user loads. Balancing user retention with per-contract profit is worth millions, perhaps even tens of millions, of dollars to them. If they price or position the tiers poorly, they could lose too many customers to Sprint or AT&T or they could have too many people maxing out tiers without any overages.

My guess is that you'll see 1Gb for $19.99 and 3Gb for $29.99. This structure distinguishes them from AT&T by saying "Oh, yeah! You'll use AT LEAST a gig on our network!" while still undercutting AT&T on price per Gb. That pricing structure would have the added benefit of bringing over ALL of the iPhone 5 customers. BlackBerry customers would stay on their "unlimited" plans, while using <200Mb/mnth and paying $29.99.

1GB for $19.99??? What kind of rip off is that? as soon as you turn the Bolt on you'll already be over that limit. That plan might work for 3G devices, Most DEFINITELY NOT for LTE.

Upvote 0
1GB for $19.99??? What kind of rip off is that? as soon as you turn the Bolt on you'll already be over that limit. That plan might work for 3G devices, Most DEFINITELY NOT for LTE.

^^^^This!!!

There definetly seems to be something up with the amount of data that LTE uses, like I said my data useage has almost tripled on this phone without changing my use habits (maybe a little here and there, but NOTHING that would be close to tripleing the data use). Not sure if this is something that is considered a bug and that will be fixed in a future update or not, but the fact remains that there are people reporting a huge up tick in the data use they are seeing.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones