1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How much data is used when..

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bigbear6708, Aug 21, 2012.

1. bigbear6708

bigbear6708 Android Enthusiast

Alright folks. I am new from Sprint...so all I know is unlimited data..since I now need to budget myself...how much data is actually used when the phone is idle? Like asleep in my pocket..I don't care about battery life in this thread and I know turning off data will save it...but just so I can have an idea, how much data is being used by an idle phone that only sync Gmail I'm background..and like maybe 5 incoming email a day. Thanks for any help

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Demache

Demache Android Expert

Maybe a couple MB's at most.

bigbear6708 likes this.
  3. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

You should he able to easily monitor how much data the device is using.

You can always turn off mobile data to prevent losing anything.

bigbear6708 likes this.
  4. bigbear6708

Thanks..but thing is, is it seems it takes my radios forever to turn on when"cold"like that..if I keep them on behind WiFi or even an app like juice defender data turn on is instant..so I figured if loss is negligible why not just keep them on all the time

5. CharlzO

CharlzO Android Expert

Short version: Use WiFi whenever possible, set yourself a data limit in the settings, maybe around 1GB or so. That way when you hit it, you can go "ok, so that much was HALF my data". Idle use doesn't take much, but once you start getting in, downloading apps and such, it adds up quick. Lets Golf 3 download on my phone was 800MBish on it's own. Stuff like that you definitely want to do on WiFi.

bigbear6708 likes this.
  6. Duncs

Duncs Well-Known Member

I only use about 50-100mb per month with just background syncing. That includes all the google stuff, facebook, twitter, forum apps, weather widgets etc. I have the phone set to only update apps via wifi and i do all my surfing etc over wifi. Hope that helps a little.

bigbear6708 likes this.
  7. bigbear6708

Thanks!! Didn't even think to set up all the updating to only go during WiFi. Had to kick unlimited data....but do far the network is worth it

8. AntimonyER

AntimonyER CHANGED FROM AF ADDICT MIKESTONY

Yeah The Nexus has some great tools for tracking/managing your data. I am on unlimited still thankfully, but its still good to know where I am at if I ever lose it.

bigbear6708 likes this.
  9. aurora40

aurora40 Android Enthusiast

Did you take your Sprint GNex to another network? Or you got a GNex as part of the move?

If your useage cap is a gig or more, and you don't stream video/audio, you have nothing to worry about even with apps updating over cell data (unless you download like Max Payne or something).

ICS and greater have great tools for monitoring your data usage, though. Go to Settings -> Data Usage and see.

bigbear6708 likes this.
  10. bigbear6708

got it with the move.Thanks for the replies everyone

11. Petrah

Petrah Psychotic Female

Might be too late, but wanted to chime in and tell ya about a few of the data usage trackers out there (there's lots). Some may prefer something a bit different than the one that comes with ICS or JB. Onavo and Dodol Phone are two that you could try out to see which one best suits your needs.

12. Skyroket

Skyroket Android Enthusiast

JB has one of the best data management software built inside of OS. You just have to go to through them. For example anything that require large background data sync has an option to do it only when connected to Wi-Fi. I'm talking about native application dont know about third party apps because i dont use Myface,Twits or games on my phone. But i'm sure it's not much because it's mostly text.

Galaxy Nexus Forum

The Galaxy Nexus release date was November 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.65" inch screen, 5MP camera, 1GB RAM, TI OMAP 4460 processor, and 1750mAh battery.

November 2011
Release Date
Reviews