1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How much importance should I place on a dual-core processor?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Ni Dieu Ni Maitre, Jun 4, 2011.

1. Ni Dieu Ni Maitre

Ni Dieu Ni Maitre Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 31, 2010
    Student; Arby's Wage Slave
    Pennsylvania
    I'm about to get a new phone. I would rather not wait too long to upgrade, but the phone I'm most interested in uses a single-core processor. I'll be signing another ghastly two year contract, presumably, so I'd like to make sure I don't regret my purchase at some point.

In your opinion, what are the odds that not getting a phone with two cores will come back to haunt me sometime in the next two years?

Advertisement

2. Rhydian

Rhydian Member
    None

Jun 3, 2011
    Signing a 2 year contract when you have doubts is a big "NO" in my mind as 90% of the time you will regret it right from the start.

Mobile technology is moving at rapid speed right now with Nvidia already demonstrating it's quad core tegra 3 (which btw looks amazing).

As you prob know you can always buy out the contract if you want to cancel early or just buy a unlocked phone and replace the sim. I've had to do it a few times and yes it's costly but being a proper hardware freak I can't help it.

3. apiapi

apiapi Lurker
    None

Jun 5, 2011
    Malaysia
    In my opinion, app developers will develop more powerful apps making use of the extra power of dual-core devices, making single-core devices laggy to run it. But when these apps will appear and your need for these apps should be considered then.

4. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Depends on the apps you use and whether or not they stand to benefit from dual cores. I'd say odds are fairly good IMO.

Verizon (OP has a Droid X) is CDMA. Still, there are basically the same options for CDMA users minus the SIM card.

5. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Why is everyone so obsessed with upgrading to get a new phone? Anyone who wants to stay up to date with phone technology shouldnt sign a 2 year contract considering a phones shelf life is only about a year, and something better is announced every few months. Once its out there will be decent deals on CL etc that wont require a contract.

iron mongoose likes this.