• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How Much Light Leakage Is Normal??

esmort

Dec 13, 2011
Chicago
I just got my Prime today from BB. When on a black screen (Asus boot screen for example) there is slight, but definitely noticeable light leakage near the bottom left and top right corner.

Is some slight light leakage normal? Is this a common problem with the Prime? If this is not normal and you exchanged yours how many did you go through before getting a unit with 0 light leakage?

Out of four, three of ours had distinct bleed along the edge right below the top right corner in landscape. Best described as sunrise type appearance. Bright right against the edge in the center then a gradient effect as it tapers off. There is an actually an early review of the Prime where the reviewer points out light bleed in the same location.

I ended up exchanging one, which is where the fourth one comes in, and it was almost perfect with just a hint of the same bleed in the same location. It was so faint though that even in a dark room during boot it would not catch your eye.

+1 for andygu3 stated. If you can find one to exchange locally like I did then you can check it out before you leave the parking lot.

Reactions: esmort
Upvote 0
Some light leakage is common to all LCD screens, and you will rarely find one with none at all. In most cases, it's only noticeable on a black screen, such as when booting, but presents no problem during normal usage. If it is so severe as to unduly bother you, you might try to exchange it for another' otherwise, I wouldn't worry about it.

Upvote 0
So I see m to have the same slight light bleed in the bottom right and on the side on the top right. It is only annoying at start up but my question is this, does it get worse over time? Anyone have any ideas on that?

I do not consider the backlight your describing as normal. If what you are describing is a domintant area near the top right corner (landscape mode) then it matches what we had on ours and what I have seen on others. Being the same location and similar pattern that seems like a manufacturing issue.

Ours were most annoying during boot but equally annoying during dark scenes in movies. If it bothers you then do not accept it as normal. When the consumer starts accepting flaws then manufacturers view them as acceptable. Our exchanged unit had no light bleed as described here so there are good ones out there.

Upvote 0
What's funny to me is that I've noticed this issue with the Prime's I've tried out (and only one had enough light bleed that I would have returned it for that issue alone), and then last night I booted up my wife's notebook (a Toshiba M400 Tablet PC, so a very pricey machine in its day), and what did I discover? It has worse light bleed than any of the Primes I've tried so far.

She never noticed it, certainly not when using it, and I never noticed it when it was my primary machine. Probably didn't even know there WAS such a thing as "light bleed" on LCDs. So, yeah.

Upvote 0
I just got my Prime today from BB. When on a black screen (Asus boot screen for example) there is slight, but definitely noticeable light leakage near the bottom left and top right corner.

Is some slight light leakage normal? Is this a common problem with the Prime? If this is not normal and you exchanged yours how many did you go through before getting a unit with 0 light leakage?

Some might consider this normal however I would not. This is similar to the light bleed on the Primes we had but the two spots on the top right were actually significantly more dominant than the ones in the pic. Since I consider movie viewing normal use this was not acceptable because it showed up in movies.

I was able to get one on my first exchange that had what I consider normal light bleed, which is like the top and left edge of the display in the image.

Attachments

• DSC01595er.jpg
    DSC01595er.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 139
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones