• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much longer will you keep your EVO 4G?

Who is upgrading to the LTE and who is staying Old School?

• Going to upgrade to the EVO LTE and not look back.

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Staying with the Original EVO, still kicking butt!

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Until at least my upgrade which is in may. From then I'm not sure. I am a big fan of Zune Pass and Metro and know my Zune HD is destined to fail and I'm not sure i want to switch to spotify(an Andriod zune app would fix this). I would have no problem sitting on it over the summer waiting for a phone that was announced that I liked. If my only choice is the Galaxy Nexus with nothing coming up(mainly windows phone) I'll just take it. Otherwise I can go to September.

Upvote 0
When my Evo goes out, if they don't have a new Evo with a kickstand (or suitable replacement) I may just scour the net for an original Evo 4G replacement so I can stay out of contract and then eventually go to a different carrier that actually has a suitable replacement.

Now thats dedication, is it because of the kickstand or you really like the Evo

Upvote 0
Now thats dedication, is it because of the kickstand or you really like the Evo
Both. I use the kickstand several times a day and it has become indispensable. I honestly use the kickstand more than the power button (though I'm cheating since I use the volume keys to turn on the screen :p). So whatever I pick as my next phone, it must have the kickstand.

I love my Evo. I have everything automated through Tasker, the screen is the right size, and the performance is still more than acceptable. I've always considered myself techie and I used to keep up with all the new phone releases and new OSs. But about 3 months into owning the Evo I stopped caring (except for the Evo 3D, I was excited about it until I learned there was no kickstand).

Hell, if the memory wasn't so limited I would have no reason to upgrade at all. But I've reached the point that in order to install something new, I have to get rid of something else.

Upvote 0
Both. I use the kickstand several times a day and it has become indispensable. I honestly use the kickstand more than the power button (though I'm cheating since I use the volume keys to turn on the screen :p). So whatever I pick as my next phone, it must have the kickstand.

I love my Evo. I have everything automated through Tasker, the screen is the right size, and the performance is still more than acceptable. I've always considered myself techie and I used to keep up with all the new phone releases and new OSs. But about 3 months into owning the Evo I stopped caring (except for the Evo 3D, I was excited about it until I learned there was no kickstand).

Hell, if the memory wasn't so limited I would have no reason to upgrade at all. But I've reached the point that in order to install something new, I have to get rid of something else.

since you plan to keep evo for a long time...

are you rooted? to fix your mem problem..have you done 2 mods that will drastically help that?
1. partition the sdcard to ext3 mod? making more room for moving of apps to sdcard?
2. firerat mod.. [ MOD ] Custom MTD Partitions by Firerat (resize Cache, Data & System) - xda-developers

option 2 is not simple.. I did it for my Hero, because it was way too small. I have not needed to do it for my EVO.

Upvote 0
since you plan to keep evo for a long time...

are you rooted? to fix your mem problem..have you done 2 mods that will drastically help that?
1. partition the sdcard to ext3 mod? making more room for moving of apps to sdcard?
2. firerat mod.. [ MOD ] Custom MTD Partitions by Firerat (resize Cache, Data & System) - xda-developers

option 2 is not simple.. I did it for my Hero, because it was way too small. I have not needed to do it for my EVO.
I'm hoping to see a suitable replacement this summer. But yeah, if there isn't one then I guess I'll be keeping it a little longer...

Yes I am rooted, and no I have not tried either of those mods. I have done app2sd for everything possible. Are you saying that these options successfully utilize my SD card as an expansion of the internal memory? Are there any drawbacks? Can widgets still be used for those apps that are placed on the SD card?

Upvote 0
I'm hoping to see a suitable replacement this summer. But yeah, if there isn't one then I guess I'll be keeping it a little longer...

Yes I am rooted, and no I have not tried either of those mods. I have done app2sd for everything possible. Are you saying that these options successfully utilize my SD card as an expansion of the internal memory? Are there any drawbacks? Can widgets still be used for those apps that are placed on the SD card?

i would not use firerat. i would just partition your card to ext3 like dan said. you can read about it here:http://androidforums.com/evo-4g-all...ooting-dummies-guide-gingerbread-edition.html there is a partitioning section with all the info.

Reactions: CriticalCritic
Upvote 0
When my Evo goes out, if they don't have a new Evo with a kickstand (or suitable replacement) I may just scour the net for an original Evo 4G replacement so I can stay out of contract and then eventually go to a different carrier that actually has a suitable replacement.

I luv the kickstand. I know there are cases out there with a KS built in but having on-board from day 1 has made the EVO ownership experience a pleasure.

Plus with the new 2.3.5 GB update, it has alleviated all the bugs that came with 2.3.3.

Yeah, it might be slower than newer dual cores & the camera pics aren't the most exact lifelike in colors but the EVO4G's deployment was a zenith moment for HTC.

Upvote 0
whats wrong with firerat? it was pretty good on my hero.

nothing wrong really with firerat. i think that darktremors is easier and firerat has no support for the evo anymore that i'm aware of. most roms these days have a2sd already cooked in anyways. but this discusion should really be in the rooting section. sorry guys, just had to chime in.

back on topic,
well it seems that the evo is finally getting the eol status.HTC EVO View 4G On Sprint Reaches Its End Of Life, Will Part From This World On January 29. so if this is correct then i really doubt that they will come up with any more updates. and dual cores and lte coming this year, kinda of hard to not go with another phone when your update is due.

Upvote 0
This phone still does things that amazes me. Nothing came out in 2011 from Sprint that was the exponential technology leap over my nearly two year old Evo. I still chuckle when new Android converts show me their new toys and I dazzle them with all the mods and tweaks the dev. community has put together for this phone. Even ran the new Sense for a while and ran it well thank you. Kinda on topic; most newer ROMS have DTA2SD built in. Take the plunge with a bigger SD card and you will never have to worry about running out of space again. Run Dalvik on internal for better performance. ;-). Get A2SDGUI app from the Market and you have all the options for moving cache, Dalvik etc. in graphical interface instead of using scripts.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones