• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much longer will you keep your EVO 4G?

Who is upgrading to the LTE and who is staying Old School?

• Going to upgrade to the EVO LTE and not look back.

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Staying with the Original EVO, still kicking butt!

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Before the 3D came out, I would've answered this and said that I would leave my Evo in an instant, but when I went to a Sprint store and actually tried it out...I'm good. I thought it was like real 3D and I was disappointed by the smaller screen.

I'll be keeping my Evo til something worth wild comes out like a real 3D phone with a better screen than the Evo. The processor on the new Evo sounds great to have though! And with the 3D now being rootable, it does sound appealing that it can be used to it's full potential.

Upvote 0
EVO vs. Dell Streak

size comparisons start at 6:30

YouTube - ‪Dell Streak Unboxing: Phone/Tablet Hybrid‬‏

i'm starting to think that 4.5"-4.7" display might be the maximum in terms of pocketability. unless Ice Cream Sammmmmich allows removal of capactive buttons and all that bezel - maybe we can stretch it to 5". unlike a tablet we shouldn't need much bezel on a phone to hold it in hand. but i need to be able to keep the phone comfortably in my front pants/jeans pocket and in my side suit jacket pocket. and have room for a slim silicone case too.

Upvote 0
EVO vs. Dell Streak

size comparisons start at 6:30

YouTube - ‪Dell Streak Unboxing: Phone/Tablet Hybrid‬‏

i'm starting to think that 4.5"-4.7" display might be the maximum in terms of pocketability. unless Ice Cream Sammmmmich allows removal of capactive buttons and all that bezel - maybe we can stretch it to 5". unlike a tablet we shouldn't need much bezel on a phone to hold it in hand. but i need to be able to keep the phone comfortably in my front pants/jeans pocket and in my side suit jacket pocket. and have room for a slim silicone case too.

That thing is ridiculous. I have larger than average hands and theres even times where I cant always reach something if Im one handing my phone in a way where Im trying to securely hold it and only use my thumb for navigation. Plus the specs are terrible, only 1.6? The same size battery as ours? Could you imagine how fast that thing would kill it with a display that big?

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
That thing is ridiculous. I have larger than average hands and theres even times where I cant always reach something if Im one handing my phone in a way where Im trying to securely hold it and only use my thumb for navigation. Plus the specs are terrible, only 1.6? The same size battery as ours? Could you imagine how fast that thing would kill it with a display that big?

the point i was trying to make is that - for me - a true worthy upgrade to the original EVO will be a device with a bigger display. the question is - when does "big" become "too big"?

Reactions: toomuchgame441
Upvote 0
After 10 years with Verizon I switched to Sprint this week. Two reasons: Evo 4G and cost per month. The Evo is my 4th android phone in the last 2 years. It is one of the best phones I've ever experienced. After doing a factory reset to correct all Gingerbread issues, it is fast and accurate. I see no reason to worry about the Evo 4G being obsolete any time soon. Besides, as a new customer at Sprint, it was free at Best Buy. Cost per month vs Verizon also makes it all that much more attractive to me. On a scale of 1-10, the Evo is an 8.5 IMHO.

Upvote 0
After 10 years with Verizon I switched to Sprint this week. Two reasons: Evo 4G and cost per month. The Evo is my 4th android phone in the last 2 years. It is one of the best phones I've ever experienced. After doing a factory reset to correct all Gingerbread issues, it is fast and accurate. I see no reason to worry about the Evo 4G being obsolete any time soon. Besides, as a new customer at Sprint, it was free at Best Buy. Cost per month vs Verizon also makes it all that much more attractive to me. On a scale of 1-10, the Evo is an 8.5 IMHO.

Why did you decide to go with the EVO 4G instead of the EVO 3D? you could have gotten the 3D for less then $100 coming from Verizon using the Sprint port in $125 credit. A lot better deal IMO.

Reactions: albiewan
Upvote 0
Why did you decide to go with the EVO 4G instead of the EVO 3D? you could have gotten the 3D for less then $100 coming from Verizon using the Sprint port in $125 credit. A lot better deal IMO.
Well, dang! I did the switch at Best Buy. I was not informed about a porting discount. Now that I know (thanks to you) I will be getting my butt back to BB today and look into that.

Upvote 0
Update: Best Buy does not offer the porting discount. It is obtained only through Sprint. I was able to get Sprint to retroactively sign me up for the discount but it is not applied to anything until the 61st day of service. Therefore it is a credit to be applied to a future bill only.

Upvote 0
Update: Best Buy does not offer the porting discount. It is obtained only through Sprint. I was able to get Sprint to retroactively sign me up for the discount but it is not applied to anything until the 61st day of service. Therefore it is a credit to be applied to a future bill only.

Hmm they must have changed it. I remember a while back it was a instant discount with a 2 year contract. But never the less $125 credit is good deal, glad to hear that sprint honor the deal for you.

Upvote 0
the point i was trying to make is that - for me - a true worthy upgrade to the original EVO will be a device with a bigger display. the question is - when does "big" become "too big"?

I see, the EVO fits my hand just about perfectly and my hands are big enough to palm a basketball. 4.5 would probably be my max since I like to one hand the phone alot.

Upvote 0
The Evo 4G is going to be a very capable phone for a while longer. Gingerbread has brought it up to date as far as software, and the processor (although not as sexy as current dual-core offerings) still gets it done with no lag for me. I'm basically a BlackBerry guy and use my Evo as a change of pace phone. So being a BlackBerry user at heard, multimedia stuff is not a priority for me. But I plan to keep my Evo until Sprint switches to LTE from WiMax. My next phone will be the BlackBerry 9930 and I'll probably continue to switch back and forth between that and my Evo.

I'm not a fan of BlackBerry OS 6 on my Bold 9650 and that's what has prompted me to give my Evo another go, especially since while I was using my BlackBerry the Gingerbread update for the Evo was released. I was hoping for some changes, especially with contact management, but I'm still stuck sorting by first name only. I guess it's time to give groups a real try.

Upvote 0
With the photon and S II almost here, my days of the EVO are coming to a close.

I am going to miss this phone, it was the greatest phone ever.

i was holding out for the photon but apparently it is going to be saddled with the fubar bootloader which may make it unrootable so once again a reason not to switch to motorola

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'll probably keep my Evo till I see a better camera out there, not gimmicks like 3D camera but better image chip, lens and maybe something like Apple's HDR technology. Everything else I want to do with my phone, it does well.... Maybe I'd like a smoother gaming experience especially with Pocket Legends and the soon to come Star Legends. :)

Upvote 0
Photon 4g is an evo with faster processor, better battery out the box, and a lot more internal storage.
I am new to this site but am a active member in other Evo forums and the information is good on both sites. I have had my Evo 4G now for what 10 months and am happy with it. I 2 wanted a 3D Evo when they came out but after the gingerbread update, update my phone is running better. Battery life is good 5 hours on regular battery. Only thing that will make me switch this phone out is the Photon 4G, and i am due for a $75 dollar upgrade now and the full upgrade in April. Wishing they would come out with a root that i can use on the 4G now that way i will keep my Evo until time permits. But the Photon is where my eyes are as of now.

Upvote 0
I am new to this site but am a active member in other Evo forums and the information is good on both sites. I have had my Evo 4G now for what 10 months and am happy with it. I 2 wanted a 3D Evo when they came out but after the gingerbread update, update my phone is running better. Battery life is good 5 hours on regular battery. Only thing that will make me switch this phone out is the Photon 4G, and i am due for a $75 dollar upgrade now and the full upgrade in April. Wishing they would come out with a root that i can use on the 4G now that way i will keep my Evo until time permits. But the Photon is where my eyes are as of now.

Me too. I still love my evo. I take care of 2 other phones on my account and the evo is going to one of those people. The photon just has things I had already wanted on the original evo, which is why I'm switching. To me, the overall specs of the photon just fit all the criteria I needed. Only question I have is where I'm going to order, not if.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones