• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much longer will you keep your EVO 4G?

Who is upgrading to the LTE and who is staying Old School?

• Going to upgrade to the EVO LTE and not look back.

Votes: 11 64.7%
  • Staying with the Original EVO, still kicking butt!

Votes: 6 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I've now played with the 3D extensively. I was even less impressed than I though I'd be. The 3D is a all but useless gimmick for me. Speed wasn't as significant. as I thought either. With many reporting similar or worse battery life vs the 4G, about the only meaningful improvement over the 4G is the screen. Maybe with fuuture updates and dev involvement , things will change. Right now, it isn't worth using up an upgrade for me. I may be waiting a while too. After owning/using several Samsung android phones lately, there's no chance that my next device will be from them regardless of spec or review . Motorola also bothers me with their locked bootloaders and slow updates. After going though 5 phones in the last 2 years, I could easily end up keeping the 4) for 2 years or more.

Upvote 0
I will keep my EVO as well. I really hope htc bring a new hardware style to sprint. I like some of what the Evo 3D has to offer but it's not enough to make me leave my EVO. What happened to the days when you can find a cell phone in different colors. Now all you get is the black candy bar style.I'm hoping Htc bring something like the sensation to sprint as far as a slimmer and elegant style.

Upvote 0
I actually just picked mine up! Been with Sprint for almost 10yrs and long past my upgrade (last phone on contract was an original Touch from 4yrs ago) I was dead set on the 3d but after playing with it for a few days I couldn't get used to the UI. There was also the quiet as a mouse speaker and it also does not have ROOT... Sprint offered me a great deal on a 4G, free with free activation. So I walked out with a brand new 4G without shelling out a penny! I looked at everything out and what is soon to come, my rooted gingerbread has great battery and is as fast as I can want. I know it is the o/g but for me I'm comfortable with knowing I'm keeping it at least 1year, two to end my contract...

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
Not going to give up my Evo until 1) it quits, 2) something as game-changing comes along, 3) Sprint offers an upgrade or new phone price that won't tie me to another contract.

At this point, the "new" phones and features they offer just aren't that big of a leap in performance to make a difference. Also doesn't help smartphones that tablets are just now really beginning to become useful. A lot of what I'd want a phone to be able to do is being put into tablets, and the additional size makes using them more as a business and productivity tool much easier on the eyes and hands.

Reactions: ghodzilla5150
Upvote 0
How long? Heck, I JUST GOT IT! lmao!

Answer? Til it breaks!

Then again, I'm in a rather unique situation. My Gingerbreaded EVO is running on Boost Mobile (no more contracts and additional fees for this guy), so I have to buy my phones outright and have them flashed over. In order to make it pay off, I have to time things to the second. I have to sell my current phone, in good condition, while it's still worth something, but also, keep it long enough to amortize to value. Tricky, but not hard if you stay on top of the market.

When EVO's start bringing less than $200 on a regular basis and there's something dual-core, >1.4GHz, 4.5-5" screen with minimalist bezel, etc, etc... Then, I'll switch.

For now, there's very little that the EVO doesn't do top notch. I don't need 4g (the only thing I don't get on Boost), because I get enough WiFi access to satisfy my needs. Everything with Gingerbread is slicker and faster (bye bye iPhone4) and it's great as just a telephone!

Long live EVO!

Reactions: BenChase7
Upvote 0
I can't freaking wait to get rid of it. Can't stand the android OS. Had a palm pre before and tried sticking it out since March and still loathe it at times. The big screen is nice, flash support is awesome, I love the swype keyboard. But the clusterbomb that is the layout. Does not flow as well as the web os did. The multitasking is about as limited as the iphone 3g was. I'm talking having multiple apps running not just in the background. The browser blows. And feel crippled without the gestures like the webos had. Even after this amount of time having it.

I could go on but I'm not going to. I stuck with sprint for the unlimited data and great coverage. I've been busy since February with my new job at Verizon telecom. I get a sick discount with verizon but the bill is still cheaper with sprint.. Even with the 25% discount. and with moving to a new place so I haven't even had time to root this evo 4g. I signed up here to load a new kernal and gui if possible.

Upvote 0
I can't freaking wait to get rid of it. Can't stand the android OS. Had a palm pre

I am the opposite I could not wait to get rid of my Pre. Slow with a tiny screen almost useless for games and videos with a tiny cheap plastic feel keyboard. My screen started getting swipe marks grooved in it from use as it was just plastic.

Android you can customize to your hearts desire so if you don't like something look for an app, live wallpaper, theme that does what you want or try to make it yourself.

Upvote 0
You can't customize to your heart's desire. And if I say I don't even have time to root it, what makes ya think I have time to mess with my already unstable apps? I stir in my sleep at night with visions of "force close". Yeah, that's exactly what I want to do, add fuel to the flames. Only way you should get swipe marks etched in to your screen is if you're digging through sand before touching your phone.

The multitasking blows for a poweruser. For instance, I was typing in a reply here, went to home to play a different song, saw that I had some emails, checked them and opened a one page pdf and come back to the browser and it sent me back to google homepage. Whereas the pre you can zoom out and any other app. Secondly, I haven't had music skip on my phone in about 8 years. And even with just the music app playong and I get a text, and the evo is on silent it stops playing for a sec.

Upvote 0
You can't customize to your heart's desire. And if I say I don't even have time to root it, what makes ya think I have time to mess with my already unstable apps? I stir in my sleep at night with visions of "force close". Yeah, that's exactly what I want to do, add fuel to the flames. Only way you should get swipe marks etched in to your screen is if you're digging through sand before touching your phone.

The multitasking blows for a poweruser. For instance, I was typing in a reply here, went to home to play a different song, saw that I had some emails, checked them and opened a one page pdf and come back to the browser and it sent me back to google homepage. Whereas the pre you can zoom out and any other app. Secondly, I haven't had music skip on my phone in about 8 years. And even with just the music app playong and I get a text, and the evo is on silent it stops playing for a sec.

- When you went back to the browser, did you hold down the home key and tap on the internet from there or did you go to your apps drawer and click on internet? It's possible that you just opened a new browser window, without realizing that the one that had your reply was in the background. All you need to do to find that is (once in the browser), tap Menu>Windows and it should show the windows that you currently have open.

- The text message interruption of music play doesn't happen to me, but I also don't use the stock player. I support the PowerAmp music player. That's by far the best music player I've found. Even though it's a paid app, it works great.

Upvote 0
This happens because the way the phone allocate memory and running processes. Whether I hold the home button or pick off the main screen it does that.the other windows I had open revert to the home page. And that is what was so beautiful about my other phone. I zoomed out the card and it was still there. No matter how I amidst the settings it does that.

I bought that player pp too but still does it when on silent or viberate. Hopefully a new kernal will help. Just downloaded firefox so I'll see with that one too

Reactions: drexappeal
Upvote 0
This happens because the way the phone allocate memory and running processes. Whether I hold the home button or pick off the main screen it does that.the other windows I had open revert to the home page. And that is what was so beautiful about my other phone. I zoomed out the card and it was still there. No matter how I amidst the settings it does that.

I bought that player pp too but still does it when on silent or viberate. Hopefully a new kernal will help. Just downloaded firefox so I'll see with that one too

Darn. It saddens me to see when people don't really like Android. I guess all my horrific experiences with Windows Mobile after 1 year make Android seem like a breeze, even 1+ years after getting the EVO.

Sorry I couldn't help. I was hopeful that maybe you weren't aware of the potential reasons why you weren't getting what you needed out of the phone. From what I've read, the HP Pre 2 wasn't going to be released on Sprint, but maybe there'll be another OS that'll suit your needs better down the line.

Reactions: ghodzilla5150
Upvote 0
You can take the comms board out of the pre from sprint and put it in the pre 2 from verizon and it works Palm Pre 2 Hacked for Sprint, webOS 2.0.1 - Pictorial Guide now with the hp veer 4g from att. Might be able but then my sprint would only be 3g. Anyhow, I guess the biggest thing I miss is the pre's "flow" which the evo lacks, it just looks like a clusterf... To me

Upvote 0
I can't freaking wait to get rid of it. Can't stand the android OS. Had a palm pre before and tried sticking it out since March and still loathe it at times. The big screen is nice, flash support is awesome, I love the swype keyboard. But the clusterbomb that is the layout. Does not flow as well as the web os did. The multitasking is about as limited as the iphone 3g was. I'm talking having multiple apps running not just in the background. The browser blows. And feel crippled without the gestures like the webos had. Even after this amount of time having it.

I could go on but I'm not going to. I stuck with sprint for the unlimited data and great coverage. I've been busy since February with my new job at Verizon telecom. I get a sick discount with verizon but the bill is still cheaper with sprint.. Even with the 25% discount. and with moving to a new place so I haven't even had time to root this evo 4g. I signed up here to load a new kernal and gui if possible.

the market disagrees with you.

http://venturebeat.com/2011/07/14/550000-android-devices-activated-per-day/

good luck.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0

Don't believe I said anything about the market. Market stats have nothing to do with a cell phone's form and function.

I'll give you an example. When helio was out, the first iPhone came out. The market pointed to apple no matter what way you slice it. But all 3 helio devices I had stuff the should've come stock with the freakin iPhone. Like 3g, MMS (picture mail), higher resolution camera, a freakin camera flash, the ability to upload straight to youtube and better pop/imap/exchange email setups. so I don't need to hear about what the market is doing since it doesn't pertain to what I'm talking about.

PS: this browser force closed twice trying to reply FCS

Upvote 0
For another year, when my contract is up. Maybe beyond that. I really, really like the Evo. And as odd as it sounds, I love the kickstand. I use it all the time. I don't see anything out there that has one, which is a shame. And when 4G (finally) goes live nation wide, it'll be like getting a new phone anyway. This is the best phone I've ever had, and I'm not tempted by anything else on the market right now.

Reactions: onpointG35
Upvote 0
For another year, when my contract is up. Maybe beyond that. I really, really like the Evo. And as odd as it sounds, I love the kickstand. I use it all the time. I don't see anything out there that has one, which is a shame. And when 4G (finally) goes live nation wide, it'll be like getting a new phone anyway. This is the best phone I've ever had, and I'm not tempted by anything else on the market right now.

Photon 4G releasing on July 31

Reactions: fredsmith
Upvote 0
My wife literally just got her Sprint HTC EVO 4G last week. So, she will be keeping it for around two years until the next upgrade.

So far, she is extremely happy with it. It does way more than her old Sprint Palm Pre did and with better battery life as a bonus.

Photon 4G is just around the corner. She may want to swap. :D

I still love my EVO and it brought me into the Android family, but the Photon's specs are basically a juiced up EVO.

Upvote 0
Photon 4G is just around the corner. She may want to swap. :D

I still love my EVO and it brought me into the Android family, but the Photon's specs are basically a juiced up EVO.

Yeah, I showed her the Sprint Motorola Photon 4G but she was not interested in it. Also, her Sprint HTC EVO 4G was only $29.99 at RadioShack.

Coming from a Sprint Palm Pre and going to a Sprint HTC EVO 4G was a big step up for her. She has been quite content with it so far.

Upvote 0
Yeah, I showed her the Sprint Motorola Photon 4G but she was not interested in it. Also, her Sprint HTC EVO 4G was only $29.99 at RadioShack.

Coming from a Sprint Palm Pre and going to a Sprint HTC EVO 4G was a big step up for her. She has been quite content with it so far.

Oh, nevermind, that's a great deal...lol.

I have to admit, I'm going to miss the evo a little. I'll still likely post in here still, after I upgrade next week.

Upvote 0
Oh, nevermind, that's a great deal...lol.

I have to admit, I'm going to miss the evo a little. I'll still likely post in here still, after I upgrade next week.

You will probably be seeing a lot of me here now because of my wife's recent acquisition. I also just upgraded to a Sprint HTC EVO 3D, so I am on that subforum as well. ;)

I could never abandon my original Android device, so I am on the Sprint HTC Hero subforum too. Finally, my B&N Nook Color leads me to that subforum. :D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones