• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how much longer will you keep your Fascinate?

Really? More Samsung after the debacle they have created with the all of Galaxy S phones? No more Sammy for me that's for sure.

it's mainly about the HW for me, SW can always be changed/updated, or whatever, Froyo, heh, i am not very hot and bothered about that. You have to understand.

1. they aren't a SW company.
2. Verizon probably has some pretty ridiculous requirements that samsung has to adhere to when making the Froyo update for our phone.
3. I don't think the hold up is Samsung, i mean if it were just putting Froyo on our phone Samsung wouldn't have to do anything, they would just send froyo to Verizon, hell, i could send it to them if it were just that.
4. the fact of the matter is, verizon has good testing standards it seems, yet pretty tough and time consuming requirements that it wants in place for this SW on the fascinate. The problem is probably more with Verizon's requirements than it is with testing or the SW or anything along those lines.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Yeah could be, but Verizon is still one of the fastest at updating. And even going by this it just makes Samsung look worse. The Droid X is about a month away from Gingerbread, probably will beat Samsung to 2.2 on Verizon.

I don't even think that's a question anymore. The DX will definitely get their update first...they have "Droid" in their name.

Upvote 0
I have an upgrade coming up in the next few weeks. Although I've only had the Fascinate for two months or so...I don't think I'll use my upgrade, unless something amazing comes out. IDK what else I need from a cell phone. Front facing camera? Wouldn't mind it, but don't need it. Faster processor? Yes would be nice, but will just eat battery. Thinner/slimmer, lighter? Yeah...that'd be nice, but not necessary. So basically I am saying the Fascinate is perfect for me, currently. We will see in the next few months what Verizon brings to the table. Already eying the Bionic.

Upvote 0
I am scheduled for an upgrade in October but just got an Email saying I'm eligible for an early upgrade to any phone but they are pushing the iPhone :rolleyes: on me in the Email.
I'll keep my Fascinate until the next OLED screened phone comes out that isn't a Samsung.
I will never buy anything Samsung makes ever again if I can help it. :mad:

Upvote 0
It's a good piece of hardware, but there's no reason to continue to use a device for which there will be no future firmware updates, particularly when that firmware is still being rapidly developed on other platforms.

I'll be ditching the Fascinate at the very earliest possible moment, and going forward, I won't be purchasing any new Samsung products.

Upvote 0
I'll upgrade when there is a phone out tempting enough to upgrade to. TBolt offers me little temptation. Im not going to a bigger screen size without an increased screen res as well. I want at least as good battery life as I get now with UV kernels and the SF. I just dont see myself moving to another mere single core cpu as well. SGS2 apparently is coming to VZW in May/June [believe it when I see it]. But given the Samsung software update travesty we saw with this phone I just dont know. This is good enough for me quite frankly and I might even wait till the fall. 4.3" screen seems to be right but it must be with at least that qHD res. Dual core for sure. 1Gb of ram will seem to be the direction things are heading. Battery will be key as well. Gotta me more than what I got now, sorry Tbolt.
Besides without any 4G coverage within 150 miles of where I live 4G phones are even less tempting still. By the time I get 4G coverage in 2012 here we'll have quad core cpus with Hitachi's 1280x720 screens. Now that is an upgrade for sure.

Bottom Line, I see myself in the SF for the months ahead

Upvote 0
I'm not scheduled for an upgrade until Mayish 2012, so I'm more or less stuck. If I get an email saying they can upgrade me sooner, I'm dropping this like a live grenade. As grateful as I am to the devs, I will never own another Samsung again. I shouldn't have to rely on hacking my phone to make it run software that has been readily available for months for other phones.

Upvote 0
I jumped of the Fascinate wagon when the Thunderbolt was released... The lack of a properly working GPS, and no Froyo in sight just pushed me over. Do I miss my Fascinate? That's a good question, I'd have to say at this point no, last week was a BIG Yes! However, I did an exchange this morning for a new TB because I had some issues with my first, and I have to say I'm pretty happy at the moment. The phones a Fast pace blazing beast, nothing I've ever used has come close to the speed I'm getting. 3 things I miss from the Fascinate would be how thin the device felt, even with a case, the Beautiful Super Amoled screen, and of course the battery life. But Samsung and VZW really dropped the ball, I doubt I'll be giving Samsung another shot anytime soon.

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
What's most surprising to me in this piece of news is that SGS2 will come that early to VZW and also with 4G in that slim body. Someone on SGS2 claims that he actually saw a proto-type in VZW store with Samsung rep. I suspected late Summer ~ September or maybe it won't even come to VZW due to difficulty of fitting LTE into such a slim body. But if this comes true, this will be huge hit even more than original galaxy S.

Upvote 0
How much longer am I keeping it? The minute my upgrade is ready (They said june/july back in january) Im dropping this thing like its carrying the plague. Im sick of my device working about 1/4 of what it could be. Normally I would be using this phone constantly, but right now it just sits in my pocket and I answer it when it rings, I respond when I get a text and I OCCASIONALLY go on the internet. If I try anything else, I go through a head ach getting it to work, even the simple stuff like listening to music. No more Samsung for me after this. They can take thier crappy phone, and thier crappy service and suck it. I vote with my wallet and thats why I will go HTC or Motorola for my next phone. Even if its an older model than the Fascinate.

Upvote 0
i really dont have any issues some of you are having. my music works perfect, no dropped calls, can surf the internet till the battery dies, all in all
i think its a great phone. i am running stock froyo and honest to god i dont have a single honest complaint about it. i just dont understand why some people are ready to chunk theirs in a lake. i dont work for verizon nor samsung, i am p.o. 'd about the froyo udate fiasco but since froyo has been in the boards for a while that isnt an issue anymore. i just find it strange that some people have disastrous experiences while others are totally pleased.

Upvote 0
Until VZ gets the trophy or if that takes too long I may go to ATnT for the Focus or HD7S soon. VZ and samsung left a bad taste in my mouth for Android. Besides I have been using Android since the original Droid so i would like a change for a bit.

I might go atnt and get a WP7 and an atrix and just switch sim cards back and forth when i get bored of using one.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones