• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How much Passion will cost?

I am pretty sure it will be $199, the phones you all are saying that are more expensive are on different carriers. I spoke to an HTC rep today and he said that verizon wont be making any smartphones over $199....so assuming it will be on Big Red, it should be $199

Do you even remember how much the HTC Touch Pro cost on the Verizon network for the longest time? Not $199. It's just NOW $199. Even so, I think they will do whatever they can to move it under the $199 mark. Part of it was to raise ETF.

Upvote 0
The rate-limiting steps in making a call or connecting to the internet is not the processors. You really need a 1 GHz processor to help you make a call or connect to the internet? I agree that the integer performance of the Snap is unrivaled. But at the end of the day, whether you're playing a 3-D game, a 2-D game, rendering the widgets for Sense UI, etc. you're asking the phone to push graphics. That's why these phones have enormous screens. Any animation that the phone is required to do is a product of CPU/GPU performance. But hey, if you want to do multiplication all day, or figure out what the tip is for your dinner bill, yeah, I'll take a 1 Gig Snap for that!

The browsers on these phones that render web pages are not using the GFX acceleration to render. It's the CPU. These tests have been done all over the place. Take the same device, increase it's CPU clock and the web page benchmark increases proportionate to the CPU clock. Take the same devices, keep the CPU clock constant and increase the GPU clock and the result is negligible. I guess this is news to you but math instructions on a chipset are used for more than calculator apps...

Upvote 0
Do you even remember how much the HTC Touch Pro cost on the Verizon network for the longest time? Not $199. It's just NOW $199. Even so, I think they will do whatever they can to move it under the $199 mark. Part of it was to raise ETF.

You're using a way outdated example. The Touch Pro2, Imagio, Droid, Storm2, Omnia2, all released at no more than $199 on contract. The OP's point stands.

Upvote 0
The original post talk about how by being on Big Red that the price wouldn't be over $199. And I'm providing history on the matter saying that just because it's on Verizon doesn't mean that a phone is automatically going to be under $200. The TouchPro came out with a $350 price tag with plan. It's just history. Pricing is speculative and is dependent on what Verizon can and can't subsidize. If they (HTC) can hold the overall price of the phone under $900-1000, then yeah, $199 is a good bet.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones