1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How much space removing bloatware?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Skree, May 22, 2011.

1. Skree

Skree Lurker

Hi I just saw a post that said removing bloatware on the optimus m does not free up a lot of space. can anybody give me an esitmate on how muhc space is freed up? i would like to root the phone to get more internal storage (i have only a few basic apps and it keeps saying phone storage is low) and more speed.

im a newbie, so any tips are welcome. thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Darnell0216

Darnell0216 Android Expert

- You get back approx. ~10-15MB of space from the bloatware. If you add ThinkFree Office into the mix, which most people still find useful, that's another 10MB.
    - Check your app caches to see if they're overflowing (Home -> Settings -> Applications -> Manage Applications -> Menu -> Sort By Size). Go down the top few and see if their cache needs to be cleared. You may also switch to the All tab to see if system apps have large caches. There are also apps to help with cleaning caches, but I don't know any off the bat. The browser is notorious for eating space and left unmonitored can eat up a decent chunk.
    - The phone is pretty responsive as it gets unless you can overclock it. Currently OC'ing can only be done with a v2.2 phone. They're still working on a way to OC v2.2.1.

3. UKCatFan

UKCatFan Android Expert

For me, the best reason to root is to use Titanium. With the paid version, you can place almost any app on SD even when the developer did not code it what way. There are some exceptions, but not many. You can save a lot of space by doing that.

4. ChazzMatt

ChazzMatt Android Enthusiast

Yeah, I have the Titanium Pro and forced a bunch to move to SD. I keep Root Explorer and other necessary apps in the internal memory of the phone -- but there's no reason a news app NEEDS to be stored on the internal memory, but the developer thinks it does. :rolleyes: Nope, force to SD it goes! :p