• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How Often do You Pray?

How Often do You Pray?

• Never

Votes: 51 65.4%
  • Only at meals as a formality

Votes: 1 1.3%
  • Seldom, only in an emergency

Votes: 6 7.7%
  • Often, I seek guidance regularly

Votes: 20 25.6%

• Total voters
And so it begins...
Hello all, I guess I must clarify, I am not a "he" but a "she". If I came across as "shoving something down someone's throat" I do apologize. Also, I didn't mean it to come across that I was going to church to "preach a sermon" but rather I didn't have time to preach on here on the forum thread. :)
I did not see it as that. Good to see another side of the coin on here.
But with that said...
I truly believe we are in the ends times so to speak and God's Word gives so many prophecies that we see coming true today. God wouldn't want to be shoved down anyone's throat and I wouldn't want to do that either, but if I saw your house burning down and you inside I would certainly want to do anything I could to save you and am pretty sure you would want me to. That is why I shared so openly about Jesus Christ dying on the cross so that you and I, no matter our race, creed or religion, could have the opportunity to receive the gift of eternal life. The Bible says in Romans 10:13 "For Whosoever shall call upon the name of the Lord shall be saved." Wow! What a blessed promise from God!
The problem with that is that people have been saying the end of times since the beginning of times. If a house is burning down and you see someone in it, its natural to try to save the persons life as long as it doesn't endanger yours. Jesus, God, Yemaya, Allah etc have nothing to do with it. As for that saying i highlighted in bold, cool, so lets say I as a Gay man come out and say that phrase, am I saved? Saved from all those that say I will be going to hell, those that say that I should not exist?
The way I see it, if people want to believe in an almighty, thats fine and dandy, but I've seen so many folks say my God is better than your God. My Jesus trumps your Moses etc etc. But too many rely on a book or scriptures that was written by men wanting to be in control over others.
Mind you, I was brought in a Catholic environment, raised by a pagan Grandmother, relatives both Catholic, Jewish and Pagan. And yet, even in interfaith families I see those that are not tolerant of each others faith.
If there is a God or a creator of all things, and it its true that he created us in his own image and the universe, then we are also God. Being part of it. There wouldn't be a need to worship it since we are it. There wouldn't be a need to be vengeful, hateful as it has as proclaimed throughout the scriptures. We pray to a God but in reality we pray to ourselves. I love the phrase "God helps those who help themselves" If we help ourselves then why do we need God, if it is not involved in the process.
Personally I think God is a mean spirited sob, because if it is all loving then why have so much pain on its creation (US). People born deformed, blind, war, famine etc. Once can say we bring this upon ourselves, but seriously? A superpower such as God has it in its power to stop it. yet thousand of years have pass by without a peep from it.

TS out

Reactions: jamor
Upvote 0
And so it begins...
I did not see it as that. Good to see another side of the coin on here.
But with that said...
The problem with that is that people have been saying the end of times since the beginning of times. If a house is burning down and you see someone in it, its natural to try to save the persons life as long as it doesn't endanger yours. Jesus, God, Yemaya, Allah etc have nothing to do with it. As for that saying i highlighted in bold, cool, so lets say I as a Gay man come out and say that phrase, am I saved? Saved from all those that say I will be going to hell, those that say that I should not exist?
The way I see it, if people want to believe in an almighty, thats fine and dandy, but I've seen so many folks say my God is better than your God. My Jesus trumps your Moses etc etc. But too many rely on a book or scriptures that was written by men wanting to be in control over others.
Mind you, I was brought in a Catholic environment, raised by a pagan Grandmother, relatives both Catholic, Jewish and Pagan. And yet, even in interfaith families I see those that are not tolerant of each others faith.
If there is a God or a creator of all things, and it its true that he created us in his own image and the universe, then we are also God. Being part of it. There wouldn't be a need to worship it since we are it. There wouldn't be a need to be vengeful, hateful as it has as proclaimed throughout the scriptures. We pray to a God but in reality we pray to ourselves. I love the phrase "God helps those who help themselves" If we help ourselves then why do we need God, if it is not involved in the process.
Personally I think God is a mean spirited sob, because if it is all loving then why have so much pain on its creation (US). People born deformed, blind, war, famine etc. Once can say we bring this upon ourselves, but seriously? A superpower such as God has it in its power to stop it. yet thousand of years have pass by without a peep from it.

TS out

And the funny part about religion is, more people have been killed in the name of religion than in every war in recorded history, despite all the teachings of peace, love, and tolerance.

Reactions: verizyou
Upvote 0
I really don't understand how people are religious. It seems like people created the idea of God because they can't accept life for what it is. They made up God in order to cover up the undesirable aspects of life and death. People want to believe there is something after life but I just can't believe that. After you die, it's like before you were born. Think of it like going to sleep and then you just never wake up. Believe what you want but I find religion a bit ridiculous. Life is all about science people. Live your lives and stop wasting your time worshiping dust in the wind.

Upvote 0
Guys let’s not turn this into another religion yea or neh thread as it'll only go downhill and end up being closed like that last one. If you don't feel you have anything constructive to say then don't post.

Personally I don't really pray in the way that a lot of people think about prayer but then although I consider myself a Christian I don't believe that 'God' is an individual to pray too.

Jesus said that ‘God is love’. Love is a very difficult word in English because in other languages there are many different words to describe different kinds of love, whereas in English we only have the one word. One meaning is that it is the thing that connects us. This is how I see god, an underlying force that connects us all, a bit like the force in star wars.

I try to follow in the path of Jesus and do good by others. By wishing someone else well is essentially prayer. It's not about the words you use but about your mentality and how you feel about something.

Please don’t take the bible at face value and immediately jump to the conclusion that because some things disagree with science it must be wrong. The bible was written at a time when people just wouldn’t understand half the things we understand today and was written in a way that people of the time would understand. The story is not the point, the point is the message behind it. Jesus used parables all the time to explain things in a way people of the time would understand and the same goes for the Old Testament. The story of creation for example was a way of explaining creation in simple terms that people of the time would understand. It is not outright fact that that bible says there was Adam and Eve so it must be true. Try to open your mind when reading scripture to the meaning behind what was written not the acctual story.

Upvote 0
I'm an atheist, so I never pray. I do respect other peoples' beliefs though, which is the main reason I won't get married in church because I feel it would be disrespectful to people who do believe. If I have to attend church (for a wedding for example) I do not join in with hymns and prayers, but rather sit or stand quietly, because I feel it would be hypocritical to sing the praises of a god I don't believe in.

I do however believe in doing unto others as I would be done by, and that what goes around comes around. I suppose there's an element of karma in there.

Upvote 0
And the funny part about religion is, more people have been killed in the name of religion than in every war in recorded history, despite all the teachings of peace, love, and tolerance.

That is an oft-repeated myth.

Wars are about territory and borders and political power, and have been, with very few exceptions, since the beginning of humankind.

Some armies invoke a god to the troops as a motivator, but the real motivator has always been acquisition of land, goods and often human beings for slaves (or the freeing of slaves, as was a portion of the reasoning behind the American Civil War).

The Christian "holy" crusades were one of the notable exceptions, as is portions of the ongoing struggles in the "holy land." Both of those examples, by the way, seem to have strong elements of land grabbing as their incentives, as well.

Upvote 0
That is an oft-repeated myth.

Wars are about territory and borders and political power, and have been, with very few exceptions, since the beginning of humankind.

Some armies invoke a god to the troops as a motivator, but the real motivator has always been acquisition of land, goods and often human beings for slaves (or the freeing of slaves, as was a portion of the reasoning behind the American Civil War).

The Christian "holy" crusades were one of the notable exceptions, as is portions of the ongoing struggles in the "holy land." Both of those examples, by the way, seem to have strong elements of land grabbing as their incentives, as well.

I agree, religion is used as a justification or excuse for their real goals and/or to gain support for their goal of gaining land/goods/power. The crusades and continuing struggles in the same area are the same.

Upvote 0
After being educated and thinking for myself...there is no way I can possibly believe a God exists or any of the nonsense that I was taught throughout my upbringing. I just can't stomach it anymore. This world would be such a better place without religion. My opinion of course.

Being without religion does not necessarily mean being without God.

Many believers stay away from the group-think of churches and say they develop as close a relationship with their perception of God as best they can.

Upvote 0
After being educated and thinking for myself...there is no way I can possibly believe a God exists or any of the nonsense that I was taught throughout my upbringing. I just can't stomach it anymore. This world would be such a better place without religion. My opinion of course.

You couldn't have said it any any better.

I never pray. Personally, I don't believe in God or any other higher being anymore. I was raised Catholic but many things along the way have shown me that it's all nonsense.

Upvote 0
I think not spelling out the word G-o-d is kind of ridiculous. Another form of mind control.

What, we aren't good enough to spell out "it's" name? The use of fear mongering tactics is the strongest form of mind control.

I truly believe we are in the ends times so to speak and God's Word gives so many prophecies that we see coming true today.

I strongly urge you to print this quote out. Put it in a time capsule that you will open in 2020 or even 2030/2040. (I don't know your age).

You might just look back and say to yourself, "What the heck was I thinking - I let end of the world conspiracy theorists control my life and now I have nothing to look back on except lies, deceit, and sorrow."

Upvote 0
I think not spelling out the word G-o-d is kind of ridiculous. Another form of mind control.

What, we aren't good enough to spell out "it's" name? The use of fear mongering tactics is the strongest form of mind control.

I strongly urge you to print this quote out. Put it in a time capsule that you will open in 2020 or even 2030/2040. (I don't know your age).

You might just look back and say to yourself, "What the heck was I thinking - I let end of the world conspiracy theorists control my life and now I have nothing to look back on except lies, deceit, and sorrow."

You're trashing an ancient Hebrew/Jewish tradition practiced by many Jews today, jamor. :(

I'm hoping you're doing it out of ignorance rather than vindictiveness toward that culture and faith.

Upvote 0
But your never dreaming nothing. Its just a matter of you cant remember it.

I disagree, there have been many nights that I haven't dreamt anything.
"You've got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything."

Actually, whenever you enter REM, you do dream. The reason you don't remember is because of a natural physcotropic drug named DMT that gets released into your brain. Some say its magnitudes stronger than other hallucinagins such as mushrooms or acid.

Tapatalk. Samsung Moment. Yep.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones