• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how often do you reboot your hero?

blampars

Nov 4, 2009
Michigan
I was just curious how often you reboot your phones? Since I've stopped using a task killer and letting android manage things, I've been having to do it twice a day to keep it speedy and usable. Here's my typical experience, what are yours?

Usually in the morning I reboot, read my rss feeds, check this forum & facebook (browser), some emails and some light texting. Once I get to working around 7:30am (i work landscaping) I pop in the earbuds and listen to soma fm with droidlive lite till lunch at 11:15. Lunch time I plug in the phone for about 40 minutes to boost up the battery to get me through my music habit for the rest of the workday which ends at 3pm.

I've noticed that if I don't reboot after lunch, my phone is just sluggish and slow as can be. Especially if I've got droidlive running and I get a text or an email. I only run two widgets, the "flip clock" and the small style calendar underneath it on my home screen. So I don't think that has much of an effect on my phones performance in the long run.

When I was using a task killer, the only time I would reboot was when I woke up in the morning, and I was good for the rest of the day. I've been considering running a task killer again, as android doesnt seem to be doing as great of a job managing things as I'd like, but I wanna hear some of your input and experiences first.

cheers,
-b

i have not soft reset the hero in a while. currently i have 174:38 on the clock. the only thing that crawls is when i open up Exchange ( i use an exchange server not google). i can wait about 10 seconds for that to pop up. but everything else just hums along. the only market app i have installed is google voice at this point and im running a stock un rooted device...

Upvote 0
Have had mine for 1 week, have had no need to reboot, I also use the stock message app, I usually get a full day out of it, tend not to use the phone much after 8pm, unless I'm out with friends. Phone has not gotten laggy or what I would consider laggy. Waiting for sprint to fix the battery drain with the stock message app. then I will really put the phone to the test.

Upvote 0
Every 3 days or so and that's just because my phone is only about 2 weeks new. I've been messing around with all the Task apps to find the right one for me.

Completely off topic, but I picked up my wife's iPhone last night and was surprised at how antiquated it felt. No widgets, no multi-tasking. She was having a problem with the Facebook app - and my first thought was to kill the app with Task Killer. I then remembered that the iPhone doesn't work like that. Glad to have my Hero. I ended up rebooting the iPhone, but couldn't remove the battery ;).

Upvote 0
After I stopped using and uninstalled all task killers about two weeks ago, I've only needed to reboot the phone once. And that was only to verify that there were no problems after rooting and removing some of the stock, autostarting apps.

It's chugging along happily with no lag at all right now.
91 hours uptime
14 hours awake time (16%)

Upvote 0
How the heck do I reboot the Hero???

Every so often, the phone starts to behave oddly -- buttons not working properly, I press the all apps button and a program gets selected (instead of the program list popping up), and other weirdness. I cannot find how to reboot it anywhere. Perhaps I am just dense.

Like I said, please don't laugh....

JMFlint

Upvote 0
Once every 1-3 days (varies). Usually after a reboot it works perfectly fine. I do have Advanced Task Killer which I use VERY sparingly to kill apps. I mainly use it to quickly view my memory and cpu usage as well as battery life (percentage).

I've been trying to leave apps open as intended as well as not reboot daily. For some reason every couple or so days, something happens to my phone that makes it stop working (usually force-closed apps or crashes).

For instance, tonight I sent out a couple text messages, left my phone in the car while I worked out [I go to the gym after midnight], and when I got back to check my messages, I turned it on and had a lovely message saying the phone itself had to "force close". I pressed [OK] and noticed I no longer had a Mobile Network. Turning Mobile Network off and back on did not resolve it, so I had to reboot the phone.

Hopefully the new firmware will fix some of my issues.

Upvote 0
I've been trying like hell not to reboot my hero since I started this topic.
It seems that the longer I let it run (usually past 60 hours), the better it starts running. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it sure seems like that is the case.

The two days after the update were laggy hell, but things seemed to have smoothed out for me now..

Upvote 0
I've been trying like hell not to reboot my hero since I started this topic.
It seems that the longer I let it run (usually past 60 hours), the better it starts running. I don't know how much truth there is to that, but it sure seems like that is the case.

The two days after the update were laggy hell, but things seemed to have smoothed out for me now..

I've stated the same thing in another thread. I agree fully with that statement.

Upvote 0
I highly recommend to turn your phone off once a day for at least 1 minute every day. Updates, patches, PRL info and other software is sent to the phone through the network and it will really help performance if you do this. Turning it off, takes it off the network, then turning it back on makes it re-register so if there is anything that needs to be pushed, it will come through. I recommend this for all phones, BB, PDA or whatever you use.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones