1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General How PSX emulator works for Samsung Indulge

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Silvist, Mar 14, 2011.

1. Silvist

Silvist Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 23, 2010
    Student
    San Francisco, CA
    Heyo everyone,

I actually have just been extremely busy lately, and have been unable to post. Finally I got time to do so. I figured I let you guys know about this, incase you already didn't. I was curious about testing the full graphic capability of the Samsung Indulge. I wanted to see a 3D game, and push it to its limits. Well running a playstation game on your droid IMO is pretty much that.

There's two apps out there that can do this. One is complete crap, and the other is like 5$ on the market. FPSE is the name, can be found here:

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.emulator.fpse

Compared to the other app, it seriously runs like x5 times as fast. WARNING IF YOU DO NOT OWN A PLAYSTATION, DO NOT DOWNLOAD THIS! (unless the laws have changed lol).

IF you own a playstation, download this file (which is REQUIRED to use ANY PSX emulator)

BIOS PS1_scph1001.bin

Then you have to also get games, which again you MUST OWN THEM lol. Yes, if you download a ROM file, you must OWN a copy of the game personally *wink wink nod nod*.

*coughs*I google this PSX ISO Download Section

Anyways, the point about this post was mainly to inform you guys that not only is this phone 4G and fast, but the graphic quality is pretty dam up there. So far not many other android phones can run a PLAYSTATION as an app. Realizing of course the tablets with Honeycomb can run ps3 graphics ; ;, but still the indulge is FAR superior to the other Metro phones in terms of graphics. The screen might not be AMOLED, but heck i wouldn't be suprised that if it did, our battery life would be 10 minutes.

In case you want to know how to set it up, obviously download the app first. Install the file onto your sd card that it posted on mediafire above, and it doesn't matter where in the sd card it is. Then get a game, and put it on your sd card, again where ever. Then once you start the app select a game, which has to be in the format posted on the FPSE requirements:

Supports .img, .iso, .bin, .cue, .nrg and .Z disc image formats

Then, it'll ask you to select a bios, then go find the file i had you download and install onto your SD card. Now after this, mine took a minute or so before the game started. Not all games are supported, and I would check the apps site to see what games are. There's a crap load that are, like 250. Most of them are popular ones to. Any questions let me know.

Advertisement

PistaPete likes this.
  2. MetroPOS

MetroPOS Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 4, 2011
    South FL
    Yeah I've been emulating psx since last week. I've been using psx4droid, and FF7 has been running smooth on it...but Silent Hill has had some graphics issues with boxes popping up everywhere, and the game runs slower than it's supposed to. So you're saying fpse is a much better emulator? I guess I'll check that one out.

Also, outside of PSX games, I mentioned last week that I have gotten Need for Speed Shift and Gangstar (the...both very graphic intensive games) to work on our phone. Found a neat little NFL game called Backbreaker too, which also looks amazing on our phone as well and runs perfectly.

Unfortunately though I've also tried a few games that were made for the Epics/EVO/Nexus, and a lot of them seemed to crash on the Indulge. Not sure if it's because of our low screen resolution or what.

3. Silvist

None

Dec 23, 2010
    Student
    San Francisco, CA
    Well its all about how the software is built. Fpse IMO is far superior to to psx4droid, and it literally just came out not to long ago. So its been in development and testing for a long time. For ff7, yes psx4droid seems to be built better for it. But for other games such as Castlevania SOTN or Street fighter 3 Alpha, or Tenchu, seems like x4 smoother.

Another thing is they list all the games supported on the developer website, and there's a lot of games. Most of them are typical classics, or very popular ones at the time of psx. On top of all that, the controls seem more fluid to me. I'd almost say it literally feels like i'm getting 20 fps with psx4droid, and 60 fps with Fpse. Again I think psx4droid was only build for certain phones. Fpse seems to be a lot more universal, and they've also made there own free app to convert your psx games into iso's. So far I've tried a dozen games, and all of them have worked with cutscenes included. I'm going to try a newer psx game, to see the results.

Now, one app I know for sure works, but works like crap is N64 app for android. It worked on my indulge for a couple N64 games, but it would lag and sometimes the screen would black out. I realize that N64 was a little stronger in graphics than the psx, but still I think the app is just made for like HTC or Droid 2 phones. All they did was convert these apps from windows mobile to android. We all know how converting windows to linux or windows to mac works LOL. Better to build it from ground up, so that its tailored FOR the OS its running on.

4. Silvist

None

Dec 23, 2010
    Student
    San Francisco, CA
    Okay I did some more testing. Most games in Fpse I'm getting 60 fps average. Which is awesome :D! The only thing that sucks I'm noticing about fpse, is it was designed for a larger display in landscape mode. For some reason in landscape mode I can't see the start/select/L&R buttons. So in games that require those buttons constantly, that can suck. Though in portrait mode it works flawlessly. I also noticed that the controller layout is a "skin" and that could be the reason its not fitting the screen right. I tried out BOF3, Suikoden III, FF7, CT, FFT, and quake II.

So far again its owning hardcore. The only thing that makes me want to strangle samsung is the BLUETOOTH!!! I found a bad ass app called WIImote, that lets you use your Wii controller with the phone. BUT, samsung like HTC, doesn't know how to do bluetooth worth crap ; ;. Hopefully they'll be a fix for this app someday. And I haven't tried it yet, but I found an app that allows you to use your phone as a remote for like PS3 called blueputdroid. Gonna test it and let ya know how it works.

5. MetroPOS

None

Mar 4, 2011
    South FL
    Just bought fpse. Finally I can actually see what I'm doing now in Silent Hill...and it doesn't run at snails pace. But I noticed that all the games look a lot more pixelated now in fpse than they did in psx4droid. The graphics on fpse look more like software rendering quality and doesn't have that smooth 3D hardware look that psx4droid has...which is probably why these games are running much faster on it compared to psx4droid. And yeah it sucks how fpse is not displaying all the buttons in landscape mode, but if you can still pop open the sliding keyboard and use that for controls. Also the sound quality was a lot worse in fpse than psx4droid. I bet these are the reasons why fpse emulates faster. I really want something with the quality of psx4droid, but with speed of fpse.

6. MetroPOS

None

Mar 4, 2011
    South FL
    Silvist I figured out how to get the rest of the control pad to come up on the landscape display with fpse. You have to go into settings--input--touchpad and put a checkmark on draw buttons 2, 3, and 4.

Silvist likes this.
  7. Silvist

None

Dec 23, 2010
    Student
    San Francisco, CA
    Oh nice, yeah that worked great man thanks! Still pissed that you can't use a wiimote with the Indulge cause of sense UI or some crap.

8. cruncho1

cruncho1 Member
    None

Apr 8, 2011
    1- Game Dev.. - 2- Musician- 3- Artist
    Newport Beach CA.
    Hello
    Decided I want to see just what this puppy can do 3d gaming wise for S's & G's
    is this emulator about the most intensive test for us??
    also at the site some iso have "U" some "E" ???
    Figure I'll see what a flight sim or FPS :cool:might look like lol

9. Silvist

None

Dec 23, 2010
    Student
    San Francisco, CA
    I tested the game Nova which comes preloaded on the Spring Evo, and also the HD assassins creed. AC would work perfect if not for the darn resolution of the game. All the best HD games I've found require 400x800 resolution. Thanks again samsung - -.