1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General How quick is the camera?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by SuperAkuma, Oct 28, 2011.

1. SuperAkuma

SuperAkuma Well-Known Member
    None

Jun 30, 2010
    My captivate died on me last month and I decided to drop att and go to Verizon so I bought the Motorola Bionic. That phone was 98% perfect besides the camera and it bricked on me after a week of use. I would of kept it if it didn't just die on me and found out it was a known issue.

But back to the camera, it was the worst camera in terms of speed out of ANY phone that I've ever own. Heck even my old school Motorola Razr v3 phone was faster in taking pictures.

On my captivate the camera was good. Not as good as the claim on the new Nexus but good enough.

I read a lot of review on this phone and so far a lot of people say the camera has great IQ for a camera phone but no one said anything about the speed.

Advertisement

2. enojy

enojy Newbie
    None

Sep 29, 2011
    Student
    I'd say it's pretty good/great.

Startup takes under a second,
    auto-focus takes anywhere from 1/3 a second to a second depending on the complexity of the scene,
    and then you've got about one more second from the time you release the capture button to being ready to take another photo.

Do note I've set my phone to store photos on the microSD card; opting to store captured photos on the phone's internal memory may yield even faster results.

3. 2manyPHONES

2manyPHONES Android Expert
    None

Jul 26, 2010
    NY & TX
    Speaking of the camera on the gs2 can you take pics while on a call? I have a captivate and it is a pet peeve of mine that the camera will not function while i am on a call.

4. kronie

kronie Member
    None

Oct 8, 2011
    There is definitely a serious delay from the time you press the shutter and it captures the image. One trick is to hold down the shutter button and let the AF lock on then once you release the shutter it takes the image much quicker.

5. er0ck

er0ck Lurker
    None

Oct 26, 2011
    agree with what kronie said. at least with stock samsung firmware (crapware). it's really slow compared to my iphone 4. CM 7 (which i think is stock android camera app is also slow. just did some indoor tests with auto focus and auto flash (flash fired): the shots took over 1 second.

iphone 4s blows everything away w/ regards to camera speed, some say imaging quality as well. it's a darn shame.

6. CrimsonPride

CrimsonPride Android Expert
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    student
    north alabama
    the iphone appears to be faster as it has the on screen shutter, when in actuality it really is not.

and it appears people are not auto focusing before taking a picture which would make it quite slow. but if you touch the screen it will auto focus and the picture will take as soon as the button is pressed

7. mightymoose02

mightymoose02 Well-Known Member
    None

Oct 13, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    I was only able to check out the Sprint Version (demo) at Best Buy and it took some pretty fast pictures compared to my Infuse 4G. Good flash and Good quality too.

I was told that the Sprint Version is pretty much identical to the AT&T Version.