1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How reliable is Pushbullet compared to iMessage? - Pushbullet

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by James328, Sep 19, 2016.

1. James328

Administrator Thread Starter

I'm new to android, coming from an iPhone 6 and using osx day to day, and I was curious how reliable pushbullet is compared to something such as imessage? The ability to send sms from my desktop and keep everything in sync with my mobile was awesome in the Apple ecosphere, and I'm looking for a similar alternative for android. Any thoughts?

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

It's blocked in China...so can't see me using that one any time soon. I have a Macbook, but I don't use iMessage, nor Facetime.

3. AZgl1500

AZgl1500 Extreme Android User

I would never use a message app that is tied to the manufacturer of the phone, so that rules out iMessage real fast.

I will use WhatsApp which is better anyway. everything is hidden with encryption by default.
    or use Textra or Chomp, both by the same devs and both are stone cold solid in performance.

I prefer Textra

* Textra SMS - Android Apps on Google Play

I have the paid version because believe in helping the devs and getting rid of adverts.

James328 likes this.
  4. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

Pushbullet works really well. I don't use it much anymore but never had an issue with it. I also used MightyText, no complaints with that either.

James328 likes this.
  5. tube517

tube517 Android Expert

I've used Pushbullet with an iMac. I had to turn it off because the notifications were conistent and therefore annoying.

Pushbullet now has fees/limits for the free service, I think. I don't use it anymore.

There is a new text messaging app called (temporarily) "Messaging" by the Klinker brothers. The app is in beta and is now going to public beta which means it is open to everyone. You do have to join the beta group but that is easy. The fee will eventually be $5.99/year if you use the "Message from anywhere" feature. It has a chrome extension. The app is free. I don't think I'll be using the message from anywhere feature but I've tried it and it still has some bugs but they are quickly working those out. (It's a beta)

https://plus.google.com/communities/112847528442261130949

James328 likes this.
  6. Clementine_3

Clementine_3 Extreme Android User
    VIP Member

That's why I went to MightyText. I don't mind paying for stuff but recall thinking they were charging too much at the time. PB has some nice features, I did like copy/paste but not for $40 a year. 100 texts a month just isn't enough so the free version is sort of useless. MT is the same price for Pro but the free version is 250 texts a month. For a while I was using both so could use 350 texts. lol. I just don't bother now though. They are both good but, for my needs/wants, not worth the price.

James328 and tube517 like this.
  7. James328

Administrator Thread Starter

Fantastic idea about using both PB and MightyText free accounts together for 350 combined!

Clementine_3 likes this.
  8. svim

svim Extreme Android User

Not quite 'everything'. Only WhatsApp to WhatsApp messages are encrypted. Whenever a WhatsApp user is texting with a non-WhatsApp user there is no encryption. Those encryption keys can only be exchanged from one WhatsApp to another, it just can't work when one is secure and the other is not. Note that WhatsApp is now using the same encryption protocol as what has been the underlying encryption in Signal Private Messenger (which also requires the same Signal to Signal exchange of its encryption keys). Signal Private Messenger's open encryption protocol has also been recently adopted by Facebook Messenger and will be used in Google's Allo. The list of texting apps and services keep growing and growing, but compatibility between them is limited at best. We always just fall back to the archaic but tried and true SMS/MMS for exchanging text messages.

James328 likes this.
  9. CenturionB

CenturionB Well-Known Member

before I did not know about encryption, thx

Pushbullet - SMS on PC and mor

Pushbullet - SMS on PC and mor Forum

com.pushbullet.android

Pushbullet is "the app you never knew you needed", according to CNET. Here's why: Stay Connected
• Conveniently send and receive SMS messages from your computer • Reply to messages from many popular apps including WhatsApp, Kik, and Facebook Messenger • Easily share links and files between your devices, or with friends Never Miss A Notification
• See all of your phone's notifications on your computer, including phone calls • Dismiss a notification on your computer and it goes away on your phone too • Use Pushbullet Channels to subscribe to timely notifications about things you care about Save Time
• Text from your computer using your keyboard instead of grabbing your phone • The easiest way to get a link or file onto your phone to open or share • Deal with notifications on your computer as they arrive "Pushbullet Is a Fantastic App Every Phone Should Have" - Gizmodo "TNW’s Apps of the Year: PushBullet for Android" - TNW ★ Secure: Protect your notifications and SMS with end-to-end encryption ★ Used by millions of people and counting ★ Translated into over a dozen languages by an awesome group of our own users See all the places Pushbullet is available: https://www.pushbullet.com/apps

READ MORE
February 25, 2020
Last Updated
Rating
1M+
Installs