• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How satisfied are you with your Prime?

How satisfied are you with your Prime?

• Exceeds Expectations

Votes: 30 50.0%
  • Meets Expectations

Votes: 18 30.0%
  • Below Expectations

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Have Wifi Issues

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Have GPS Issues

Votes: 6 10.0%
  • Have Screen Issues

Votes: 3 5.0%
  • Have Lag Issues

Votes: 5 8.3%
  • Have Other Issues

Votes: 9 15.0%

• Total voters

rsarno

Thank Me, Im Irish!
Jun 6, 2010
grabbed this idea from XDA forum .. thought some people here may not be voting over there.

Ok I am seeing a few threads on people's impressions on the Prime. Some say theirs is completely fine, some say they have wifi/gps issues, some have stuttering, some have screen issues, etc. However, I feel that it is kind of hard to gauge how the Prime is doing due to certain thread titles attracting different people (IE: A thread called "GPS Issues" would attract negative impressions on the Prime while a thread called "Positive Transformer Prime Thread" would attract positive impressions).

So I thought I'd make a hopefully unbiased poll so people who want to buy the Prime (like me) won't have to read a thread full of people saying their GPS doesn't work and then go to another thread with people saying that their Prime works perfect.

Vote above please.

Reactions: GalaxyNexus
So far it is amazing. We used it to play.Christmas music when our family came down Christmas Eve and i saw 3 things right off the bat that amazed me.

1. Screen is amazing
2. Sound quality is better than any.handheld device.out and thats w/o the keyboard/subwoofer
3. The battery and energy use is.great. played music.for approx 8 hrs and battery was at 93%
4. The spun aluminum case kept it cold to the touch. Not room temperature. Not cool. But cold. No overheating issues ever i imagine.
5. Graphics are almost console quality on the free ball rolling game (whatever it was called)

Oops thats more than 3 but the more i thought about it the more i came up with.

Upvote 0
I voted other issues.

My issue is that I don't have one yet.

Don't even get me started. Ordered with Tiger Direct USA on 11/22, called and was told it would ship 12/19, called on 12/19 and was told they received NO SHIPMENTS from Asus and the first shipment would be 1/15/12.
Then I read on-line customers who now have a Prime they state came from Tiger Direct. Trying hard to give them a break but I feel deceived.:mad:

Upvote 0
My daughter loves it but she pointed out three things I noticed but had not mentioned since I did not want to spoil her gift and also since it was from Santa and I have never seen it before.

The first is the boot time. It is extremely long. I was not going to compare to the iPad 2 but she made the statement while we waited on the bootup .."you could boot the iPad 2 a bunch of times before this boots once. I hope it gets faster." I have to agree that the boot time is horrible.

She also noticed the light bleed on the right side. Its most noticable on dark screens and will definitely be an eye catcher during dark scenes in movies. The nice long boot time does not help because you really get to look at the light bleed a long time.

Next is the interface speed. Now I had the Xoom and see the improvement in speed but I have to agree with my daughters obverstation that it still is not silky smooth like the the iPad 2.

We also experienced APP crashes and a random reboot. She did not know whatthe crash was so I acted like it was nothing and just closed it out. It happened again on another app while I had stepped away and she read the prompt and came to get me. I have not played with the iPad 2 extensively but she uses one daily and she said she has never had that happen on hers.

I think the device is ok. Don't care for the light bleed . This one has a cracking sound when held on left side near the volume buttons. I can push on the screen in the location and tell there is movement between it and the shell. Just not to sure about the device yet. I will probably return it and at least try to get one that does not have such noticable light bleed.

Upvote 0
I'm pretty happy with mine so far. No wifi problems or light bleed. I am not sure that my gps is working. I have only tried to connect once and couldn't, but it may have been a line of sight issue. I'll try it again soon. If there is a gps issue like others have reported hopefully it can be corrected with a firmware update. I have had a couple of reboots and I agree that the boot time seems really long. But otherwise I love it. Can't wait for some ice cream sandwich!!

Upvote 0
My daughter loves it but she pointed out three things I noticed but had not mentioned since I did not want to spoil her gift and also since it was from Santa and I have never seen it before.

The first is the boot time. It is extremely long. I was not going to compare to the iPad 2 but she made the statement while we waited on the bootup .."you could boot the iPad 2 a bunch of times before this boots once. I hope it gets faster." I have to agree that the boot time is horrible.

She also noticed the light bleed on the right side. Its most noticable on dark screens and will definitely be an eye catcher during dark scenes in movies. The nice long boot time does not help because you really get to look at the light bleed a long time.

Next is the interface speed. Now I had the Xoom and see the improvement in speed but I have to agree with my daughters obverstation that it still is not silky smooth like the the iPad 2.

We also experienced APP crashes and a random reboot. She did not know whatthe crash was so I acted like it was nothing and just closed it out. It happened again on another app while I had stepped away and she read the prompt and came to get me. I have not played with the iPad 2 extensively but she uses one daily and she said she has never had that happen on hers.

I think the device is ok. Don't care for the light bleed . This one has a cracking sound when held on left side near the volume buttons. I can push on the screen in the location and tell there is movement between it and the shell. Just not to sure about the device yet. I will probably return it and at least try to get one that does not have such noticable light bleed.

Hmm mine boots in under 1 minute. ICS will fix a lot.Honeycomb is full of bugs.Btw I love this thing.Had it at my families house for Christmas & everyone raved over it.How it's so thin & how beautiful the screen & graphics were.There were 2 ipads there that no one payed any attention too.

Upvote 0
I love this tablet. I don't have any issues other than standard HC issues, which should be fixed with the imminent ICS update. WiFi strength/range is roughly the same as my Galaxy Nexus', the only time I tested the GPS it locked instantly to my exact location in google maps, screen is beautiful. Battery life has been pretty good over all, though i wish the cord was longer. There are a few bloat apps on it, and even like 6 bloat music tracks that can't be deleted. Overall I'm very happy with it. Eagerly awaiting the keyboard dock and the ICS update. Anyone know if there's been any progress on obtaining root on it yet?

Upvote 0
I love this tablet. I don't have any issues other than standard HC issues, which should be fixed with the imminent ICS update. WiFi strength/range is roughly the same as my Galaxy Nexus', the only time I tested the GPS it locked instantly to my exact location in google maps, screen is beautiful. Battery life has been pretty good over all, though i wish the cord was longer. There are a few bloat apps on it, and even like 6 bloat music tracks that can't be deleted. Overall I'm very happy with it. Eagerly awaiting the keyboard dock and the ICS update. Anyone know if there's been any progress on obtaining root on it yet?

For the music tracks, did you go into File Manager and delete them through there? That's what I did and they deleted fine.

Upvote 0
My first tablet, I had toyed around with getting a Galaxy 10.1, but when I heard about the Prime being the first quad to come out, I figured I could hold out for the latest and greatest.

Wife and I are happy with the purchase, I've been playing with it ever since I got my hands on it. Haven't had any issues like those stated above. No light bleed, no spotty wifi, no GPS issues, no random reboots. All and all I'm a very satisfied customer.

Upvote 0
I really dig it, my first.

I say it meets expectations. Fast, quick, easy to use, I love it.

But I see a few minor issues...

1. the Battery life report says nothing and only shows system apps. This is generally kernel related and it seems their kernel is not reporting data about what apps are using battery, only system apps.

2. when in the Marekt app, if you select "my apps" you see a list of all your apps. If you click one, you got to the apps permissions?? WTF? So, if you want to see the change log or reviews you have to back out, search for the app, and then you can see the apps details and update. My phone does it right, the tablet does it wrong.

1 big issue...

GPS. I cant see or lock on any satellites. Not inside, not outside. Not after reboot not after clear AGPS data. This is reported by many. I pray they fix it via an OTA update.

Upvote 0
GPS. I cant see or lock on any satellites. Not inside, not outside. Not after reboot not after clear AGPS data. This is reported by many. I pray they fix it via an OTA update.

L-N-L,

I wonder if you just have a bad unit? I have seen others that say theirs is working fine? Hmmmm. I haven't ever dealt with Asus support, but have you talked with them?

Upvote 0
Don't even get me started. Ordered with Tiger Direct USA on 11/22, called and was told it would ship 12/19, called on 12/19 and was told they received NO SHIPMENTS from Asus and the first shipment would be 1/15/12.
Then I read on-line customers who now have a Prime they state came from Tiger Direct. Trying hard to give them a break but I feel deceived.:mad:

Modus operandi for Tiger

Upvote 0
I am really enjoying my transformer prime in the two days i've had it. We ordered it 11.27.11 from Best Buy. Got a shipping notice from Best Buy on 12.19.11 and arrived on 12.27.11. Was disappointed I didn't get it for Christams, but beggers can't be chosers.

This is my first tablet and I am really impressed. Co-workers who saw me play with it after it was delivered (had it shipped to office) were impressed with it too, especially the one who just got their ipad2. For me, the Prime is the most practical. I got the 32gb model, and the keyboard dock. Also picked up a 32gb micro sd card for it. My wife just got a new dslr camera and we can use the sd card for the camera in the keyboard dock and view the images instantly. This will be great as we are going on a European vacation in the spring so we can view the pictures instantly as well as have something to entertain us for the long flight over.

I really like the solid feel and the metal case. Again, I don't have a lot of experience with tablets, but i've looked/demoed a number and it feels the best in the hand.

As for use, i've noticed it lag a couple of times, but it seems to have happened when i had something else running. I am not overly concerned at this point as i know honeycomb is not taking advantage of the the quad core.

As for the issues people have mentioned, I am a poor judge for light bleed. I wasn't having any wi-fi issues, but i did install the firmware updates this morning on the machine and have noticed improved signal strength, atleast in the office. As for the GPS, it has a note within 20 meters of exact location. At home it put me in the street outside my house and at the office it has me sitting in the parking lot. not exact, but not far off.

Reactions: JackG058
Upvote 0
I am really enjoying my transformer prime in the two days i've had it. We ordered it 11.27.11 from Best Buy. Got a shipping notice from Best Buy on 12.19.11 and arrived on 12.27.11. Was disappointed I didn't get it for Christams, but beggers can't be chosers.

This is my first tablet and I am really impressed. Co-workers who saw me play with it after it was delivered (had it shipped to office) were impressed with it too, especially the one who just got their ipad2. For me, the Prime is the most practical. I got the 32gb model, and the keyboard dock. Also picked up a 32gb micro sd card for it. My wife just got a new dslr camera and we can use the sd card for the camera in the keyboard dock and view the images instantly. This will be great as we are going on a European vacation in the spring so we can view the pictures instantly as well as have something to entertain us for the long flight over.

I really like the solid feel and the metal case. Again, I don't have a lot of experience with tablets, but i've looked/demoed a number and it feels the best in the hand.

As for use, i've noticed it lag a couple of times, but it seems to have happened when i had something else running. I am not overly concerned at this point as i know honeycomb is not taking advantage of the the quad core.

As for the issues people have mentioned, I am a poor judge for light bleed. I wasn't having any wi-fi issues, but i did install the firmware updates this morning on the machine and have noticed improved signal strength, atleast in the office. As for the GPS, it has a note within 20 meters of exact location. At home it put me in the street outside my house and at the office it has me sitting in the parking lot. not exact, but not far off.

Welcome to the forum, and great review!

Upvote 0
Great to hear the positive reviews

Noticed someone posting about the short cable (i'm assuming it's the charging cable they're referring to). I have an Asus Transformer (the original one) and discovered that a standard USB extension cable (USB2 or USB3 only, not the USB1 cable) can be put in-between the AC adapter and the Asus proprietary cable in order to extend the length of the charging cable. Charges just fine. I assume that this hasn't been changed for the Transformer Prime.

Upvote 0
Great to hear the positive reviews

Noticed someone posting about the short cable (i'm assuming it's the charging cable they're referring to). I have an Asus Transformer (the original one) and discovered that a standard USB extension cable (USB2 or USB3 only, not the USB1 cable) can be put in-between the AC adapter and the Asus proprietary cable in order to extend the length of the charging cable. Charges just fine. I assume that this hasn't been changed for the Transformer Prime.

I tried a usb extention cord, and it didn't work. Though i can't honestly remember if it's usb1 or 2. So I don't know which was the problem. The cord is pretty standard length through, I just wish it was longer.

Upvote 0
Of those not experiencing GPS issues, how many of you are actually using the GPS?

Polls on XDA indicate that there IS an issue with the GPS on almost 2/3 of the units, so I find the big fat zero on this poll very suspicious.

I cannot say I have actually used it. I have tested accuracy. It does not get my location nearly as close as my iPhone does. My iPhone shows me in my house but not so exact as to be the correct room. Our Primes put us about 60 to 100 yards away.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones