1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

How Secure Are Remote Desktop Solutions??

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by ODog2323, Jan 7, 2012.

1. ODog2323

ODog2323 Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 20, 2010
    NJ, USA
    So I just loaded Splashtop (free Amaazon App Store download ftw) onto my tablet and phone, and installed the companion app on my home PC. It's my first experience with remote desktop computing, and it's extremely cool, but it got me thinking. How safe is it to leave the PC client running all the time?? Password protection and all aside, would that not be like inviting a complete stranger to sit in front of your computer and poke around? Or is it more or less equal to the risks we take on in the internet connected world?

I'd just assume not leave the PC client running all the time, but that seems to defeat the purpose if I'm out and about, and need to access my PC in a pinch.

Advertisement

2. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

Jun 30, 2011
    Male
    You could lock your computer itself. And as for Random stranger, where will you leave your computer that allows random strangers to have access on it anyway? I don't think you'll leave it lying around in the park or something?

3. tcat007

tcat007 Android Expert
    None

Jan 31, 2011
    Texas
    Yeah bothers me too... all these cloud based apps... give them your email and password and hope they don't have a vengeful employee... I turn my home PC off when not in use. My work PC runs all week. I plan on trying Splashtop with it (it works great at home). I can see it being much more useful for work. I just make sure I log off and don't let it remember my password. Hate to lose my device (Galaxy Player) and have someone able to turn it on and access anything important!