1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How smooth is the Galaxy S3 compared to iOS?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Kgor93, Aug 14, 2012.

1. Kgor93

Kgor93 Member

I have an iPhone 4 and am considering switching to Android by buying the Galaxy S3. My one big concern from going from iOS to Android is smoothness. iOS is kinda boring, but the thing I love is how smooth and fluid it is. I would want that from my Android device. I played with an S3 in the AT&T store for about 5 minutes and had no complaints but just wanted to get feedback from those of you who have had the device for a while. Is it as smooth as iOS?

And on another note, I have a lot of built up SMS messages and contacts on my iPhone. Is there any way to port my SMS data and contacts from my iPhone to an Android device? I can jailbreak if need be.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

If you get a SG3 and it comes with Ice Cream Sandwich 4.0 installed, a Jelly Bean 4.1 update will be available shortly. 4.1 might come installed if you wait a bit to buy. Either way, Android JB 4.1 is every bit as silky smooth as iOS. You won't be disappointed in that respect.

3. Kgor93

Kgor93 Member

Gotcha. Thanks for the reply. So I'm guessing you're happy with your S3?

4. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert

Don't have or want a SG3, I have a HTC Amaze. But I had a chance to play with a Nexus running JB. Smooooth....

5. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy

I have a GS3. If it's not on power saver, it is as smooth, or maybe only occasionally hitches. If it's on power saver, it does hitch at the first time you swipe a screen, but after that it's fine. I also only barely notice the first hitch, it's very subtle/short in duration. Also, S-Voice causes some home button lag, because it's waiting for you to push the home button a second time to activate S-Voice, but that can be disabled to make it smooth again (you'll just have to launch S-Voice manually if you want it).

When it gets Jelly Bean, it should be on par or better than iOS. So, unless you want a phone now, I'd recommend waiting a month. By then, the GS3 should have Jelly Bean and the next iPhone should be getting previews, so it'd be a good time to compare.

6. Kgor93

Kgor93 Member

Cool. Yeah I plan on waiting for the next-gen iPhone before making a final decision.

7. Metroid Prime

Metroid Prime Oil Can!!! Oil Can!!!

The S3 is going to be awesome with jelly bean.

8. sergey

sergey Android Enthusiast

I came from an iPhone 4 and I was concerned with this. Especially as my first Android phone was not smooth at all. It was garbage.

My S3 is as smooth as iOS. I love it. Forget power save. Pointless.

The biggest issues coming from the iPhone are:
    1) Apps- you get to start over and the selection is not as varied
    2) Music- got lots of iTunes songs? Good luck wiwth that
    3) The screen is worthless in the bright sun

The battery performs just as good as the iPhone, if not better. I don't use power save. Since I have wifi at work, I just run the phone off wifi and it is not unusual to go to bed with 46% battery life, which is impossible with my iPhone.

9. ravenas

ravenas Well-Known Member

1) It should be noted most of the apps people use are already ported to Android. Angry Birds, Real Racing, FlipBoard, Netflix, Twitter, Facebook, etc. and hundreds more are there. You'll also find a whole new world of Home Screen and Lock Screen apps to play with. Livens up your visual experience. I liken it between starting out in gradeschool where you're entire schedule is controlled by teachers to being let loose into the world of college. Just follow a few of those "Show me your Home Screen" threads and you'll get lots of ideas.

Only thing I've hear iOS has more of are camera apps. I have both iOS and Android devices. Of the apps I cannot get on one to the other I can count maybe 5, almost all of them games I played once and forgot.

2) I don't get the music restriction. Do you mean music you leased from Apple in the early DRM days? If so, I believe there's an Apple workaroud for that if you updated your license. Any music you bought DRM-free (or ripped to your HDD) can easily be ported to Android. There are several Android players that sync to your iTunes library (DoubleTwist is popular). I just use Google Music. Storage and streaming is free. Install the app on your computer and it syncs your library to GMusic, playlists and all. Then you can playback on the phone by streaming or save for offline.

Amazon's MP3 service does the same, though now they switched to "song matching" aka iCloud. If you want a music streaming service that gives you access to your library and songs you don't know, look at Spotify. Rdio and Pandora stream music by creating radio stations for you.

As for smoothness, can't say I ever noticed a performance hit on Android once I went to a 1GHZ dual processor phone. My ol' Samsung Galaxy S2was fluid. My S3 is like butter. (I also run stock Jellybean on my Galaxy Nexus. The voice transcription is the best I've seen anywhere.)

Only issue I have ever run into is when an app mibehaves and I have a gajillion open. Then I might get a freeze which force me to reboot. It happens maybe once every 6 month. But then my iOS would just slow down and force me to do the same.

By the time iPhone5 hits shelves, it'll be a very interesting contest. We gotta see what sexy surprise Apple has awaiting us.

10. It's better than any iPhone though the stock browser crashes way too often.

11. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

You must have a dud phone or your screen brightness not turned up enough, because I had no problems using my brother's s3 in the sun the other day.

12. Um...ALL glossy screens have problems in direct sunlight...it's not a dud

You can get an anti-glare screen cover like moshi I visor ag