1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Root How soon should I root?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by hansamurai, Apr 19, 2011.

1. hansamurai

hansamurai Lurker
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    Just got my Evo 4G today, first smartphone ever, but I'm ready to root with the prospects of everything it's really capable of doing.

Should I wait a few days/longer to see if the phone itself has any issues that would make dealing with HTC harder after root? I see I can unroot but I suppose if the screen breaks or something that might be difficult to perform.

Anyways, just curious because I'm kind of excited to do this soon but if you guys have advice/suggestions I'd like to hear it. Also if the Evo has any typical problems I should be looking out for, Wikipedia indicates a couple but I don't appear to have any bright spots, etc.

Thanks!

Advertisement

2. QuasarZ

QuasarZ Member
    None

Jun 14, 2010
    If the screen breaks? Well don't drop it haha. No, go ahead and root and flash to your hearts content. You can always unroot if you have a serious problem that you need to take it in for. I never had the intent or desire to root, stock was just fine for me at first, but I finally took the leap and love root. I have been flashing roms pretty much everyday lol. bright spots are hit or miss, but a lot of evos have 'light leakage' around the bottom and through the black 'paint' around the home, menu, back and search buttons. I was very picky at first and went through several phones to get one that was perfect. I finally realized that was not going to happen and just decided to live with it. Anyway, good luck. Questions just ask.

3. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    Mechanical Engineer for GE Nuclear
    NC
    Yesterday :D

4. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    Tech support rep for Knology
    so dak
    you should root on november 5th 1955.... but you might need a DeLorean with a flux capacitor for that lol seriously tho, rooting is the bomb, just make sure you do nandroid b/u's.... trust me on that one lol

5. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    I have a sweet flux capacitor, just need a delorean...

6. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Male
    +1
    It's not hard and it's not hard to undo if something does go wrong.

7. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    do you know that theres a company in texas that bought all the parts for those things when johnny z went on trial and bankrupt that builds them and sells them as new cars? the parts are still in the original delorean boxes!! a new, 30 yr old car?!?!? with a non anemic engine this time ta boot!! lol

8. beastinbolts

beastinbolts Android Expert
    None

Apr 16, 2011
    3...2.....1....root

9. arnezie

arnezie Newbie
    None

Jul 12, 2010
    Do it , Do it now!
    Its so easy, just read and ask questions. Welcome also!

10. hansamurai

hansamurai Lurker
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    Haha, think you guys convinced me. The straw that broke the camel's back was when I accidentally opened the Blockbuster app and now it seems to be updating itself every few hours. Yuck.

Will hopefully do this tonight.

11. CarrieK

CarrieK Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    Information Systems Analyst
    Nashville, TN
    Go for it! Some phones are harder to root than others (it is quite convoluted now for the LG Optimus phones, for example, as LG has pushed updates to close known rooting exploits so it involves reverting back to a previous radio, etc.) The EVO is far less complicated than that. Keep us posted!

12. BrianJB

BrianJB Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 19, 2010
    For me, I was too scared to root. Honestly because I didnt really understand the android operating system. Which now I still dont (lol) but I do know more than I did a year ago.

The thing that finally made me root was when htc released android 2.3, and then sprint pushed out an update like a week later which had alot of people thinking it was either 2.3 or a update file to prep for 2.3. But it was just bloatware from sprint. So I said "ok,enough is enough"

Never looked back....its much more fun watching xda for new rom releases/updates rather than waiting on cryptic messages from htc/sprint about "future updates"

13. lornaevo

lornaevo Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 30, 2010
    Male
    Queens, NYC
    Rooting was a wise decision for me. I now have a bloatfree phone running gingerbread.

14. An UrgeTo Dance

An UrgeTo Dance The Hero of the Winds
    None

Jul 22, 2010
    Male
    Same here my phone is lean and loves gingerbread.

15. corybantic

corybantic Well-Known Member
    None

Apr 14, 2011
    Turn around...
    I just recently rooted my Evo last Thursday and I've had my phone since they first came out. I wanted to fully experience what the Evo had to offer BEFORE I decided to root. If I were you, I'd do the same. As far as smartphone's go, it is - in my opinion - the best smartphone out there and the best smartphone I've ever had (been through 4).

I would suggest you give youself about a month or so to play around with it and get used to the ins-and-outs and, while your getting familiarized with your phone, start reading up on rooting: what it entails, what works with what, what not to do, how to flash roms, etc. I used the "ROOTing for Dummies" post located in this forum to root my phone and it worked perfectly, I also relied a little on YouTube for cross-referencing purposes.

Since I'm new to the whole rooting thing, I can understand why you may want to root right away, my last two phones, a Palm Pre and and iPhone 3Gs, were all rooted/jailbroken, so I knew that by rooting my Evo I was going to open it up even more. But, like I said, take some time to do some homework and find out what you really want from your Evo and, as always, post questions here at the forums - they've been invaluable for me!

youdoofus likes this.
  16. hansamurai

hansamurai Lurker
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    Root complete! Only took about an hour and this was with me holding my two month old in one arm. Yes, rooting the EVO 4G was so easy I did it one handed while balancing a baby in the other.

Anyways, things look good so far, the only big issue that I haven't looked into at all yet is I'm not able to connect to my company's Exchange server because "this server requires security features your phone does not support." Didn't realize this would happen, and this is kind of a major thing since work is paying for my contract, haha.

Should note I was able to connect fine on stock, all it required was that I unlocked with a PIN or password.

17. CarrieK

CarrieK Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Excellent post. I've had my EVO since August and just rooted it a few weeks ago. Before that I rooted an Optimus S. It is not something to just jump into, as I found out with the Optimus. I rooted using the method on Android Central with the command line so I would be famliar with it in case I needed to know it to follow more complex instructions to get myself out of a mess. As for ROMs and kernels I've stayed with stock-based ones as I rooted mainly to get rid of bloat and to use wifi hotspot. I have begun looking into boot animations though.

It was not very responsible of me to encourage someone to just go for it. Being rooted does open a lot of opportunities and it is pretty easy to do with the EVO. Having said that, it is still a big step and should not be taken lightly.

youdoofus likes this.
  18. Xtremedays

Xtremedays Android Expert
    None

Apr 5, 2010
    Male
    Auto Technician(for now)
    If you did not flash a custom rom or kernel, rooting should not have affected it as all you did was unlock your phones potential at this point. Some more info if you have it might get some help on the matter. I am familiar with Exchange but I am sure there are some on here that are.

19. CarrieK

CarrieK Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Did you just root or did you actually install a custom ROM? If all you did is root then Xtreme is right...it should not have affected you in that way. Of course, one-handed rooting holding a baby no less could make anything happen ;)

Am I correct in that you are saying you rooted a work phone? Was it already set up and activated when they gave it to you? I know our IT section is actually in charge of our work phones and they have additional security features on them. I wouldn't dream of attempting to root a work phone!

20. hansamurai

hansamurai Lurker
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    I installed Cyanogen 7.

I had to buy the phone, so I consider it my property, got the phone new in the box. I had to select it from an "approved list" of phones mostly consisting of Blackberries, iPhones, Droid X, and the EVO. Wasn't sure why it was so limited but it seems to be because of the security features required for their Exchange policies (as in these phones have them all built in out of the box).

I installed Touchdown (for accessing Exchange) and that's... okay, but I'd really like to access my work email the normal way.

I will probably either unroot or stay rooted and install the latest stock (maybe even dabble in that "official" 2.3 leak from a few days ago and see if Exchange works).

Anyone know for sure if I can return to stock and stay rooted and access Exchange? Can they remotely check S-ON/OFF?

Here are my priorities in determining what state the phone should be in:
    1. Access work email the normal way through Android's built in Exchange client
    2. Freeze/delete all the bloatware that was included
    3. Full HDMI out and Wiimote support

21. CarrieK

CarrieK Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2010
    Nashville, TN
    Not sure how I'd feel about having to buy my own work phone. (EDIT: Who am I kidding...it would tick me off if I had to pay for my own! If I have to have a cell phone to do my job I feel my place of employment should have to pay for it, unless I am a contractor or something.) Anyway, I get your point about doing what you want to it since you paid for it. Ours are assigned to us and already activated when we get them.

I'll let someone else take over in terms of what you need to do to achieve what you want. Good luck :)

22. hansamurai

hansamurai Lurker
    None

Apr 19, 2011
    Should note that while I bought the phone, they pay for the service, so that's why I feel particularly obligated to get proper Exchange support working.

Thanks for everyone's initial advice including those who warned me to explore the phone a bit more. I don't regret rooting, just wish I had known about this side effect. At least all the EVO hacking seems mature enough that I can go back to stock (un)rooted pretty easily.

23. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    EXCELLENT SMITHERS!!! CM7 has been rockin my EVO world for a lil while now... good stuff man, good stuff indeed :)

and yes, its not hard to tell if the s-off is in place, if i was you, id keep a folder on my sd card with the stock rom and the RUU files, so in a pinch you can factory reset, put the stock rom back on, and flash the pc36img file to turn s back to on. in the rooting for dummies guide, the links for the files i referred to are somewhere in there. i guessi could go look lol ill do that if it slows down a bit here at work

here (s-on tool)
    here (list of all ruu's, which vary depending on the physical build of yer device)
    and lastly heres the xda unrooting guide thing-a-ma-jig

24. evomattnc

evomattnc Android Expert
    None

Feb 10, 2011
    NC
    No they cant tell remotely whether you have s-off or not...

You would flash the s-on tool first then run the ruu to unroot. Basically flashing the s-on tool is the only way to lock your NAND back (s-off to s-on). Then when you run the RUU it returns all your partitions to the defualt setting including recovery and hboot (which is why you must select the proper ruu for your hboot, ignore this if you actually want to upgrade hboot...why? i dunno not necessary but it may be necessary one day if you run into a particular problem so it happens on occasion or if you ever downgraded to the eng bootloader which is not a great idea, tmartin bricked his second evo yesterday downgrading on an hw0004, he had just got the replacement the day before LOL). You wouldnt want to run the ruu then flash s-on as you wouldnt have your custom recovery anymore to do so.

I have never used an exchange account on my evo but you can try flashing back to your stock rom. You made the back up right after rooting correct? Restore it and try. Also there are stock roms out there in the ljnk for my sig you can find sprint lovers which is stock and try your exchange stuff from there.

25. youdoofus

youdoofus Android Expert
    None

Feb 26, 2011
    so dak
    i guess i missed the remotely part

you dont think they can tell remotely? or just dont bother to look? im bettin that its possible, just not likely for them to check it. but then again, the way our privacy is being invaded these days... who knows?

Tags: