• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

how the heck do i backup my phone?

Big Dan

Lurker
Feb 29, 2016
I'm not using my old Samsung S5 anymore because it's gotten so slow. I've gotten another phone but I'd also like to reset my S5 to see if that'll make it faster (will it?). But for some reason backing up is proving to be so difficult!!

My new phone is an HTC. I tried Smart Connect or whatever that thing is that enables the two phones to transfer data. But for some reason I can only move from new phone to old, not vice versa. Huh?

I tried Samsung Kies but the damn thing doesn't seem to 'see' the phone when the phone is connected via USB cable. Huh?

I've tried backing up to samsung cloud. That may or may not have worked, but of course for some reason we can't see the cloud. At least not thru the PC. Is there a way to see it otherwise?

I've also tried dropbox but I dont see any changes in my dropbox account when I view it from my PC. It seems my phone can now see my dropbox files instead? Which is fine but not what I was going for.

I'm getting pretty irritated! Can someone help?

PS - I'd like to backup pictures and videos and texts as well.

Great, thank you.

I've already installed about a dozen apps on the new phone. I've had it for a month actually.

Can I still restore the old phone's apps on the new one? Ideally without losing the apps on the new one.
Yes with Google,A friend of mine replaced his old phone and he logged into his google account on his new phone and it restored all his apps and some of his contacts.

Upvote 0
thanks man

Ive been using my new phone for a while now. I checked google photos today hoping all my old pix are on it so I can reset my old phone. but turns out google photos hasnt maintained the album's. So I really dont know if all my pix have been saved or only some of them. In fact I can think of certain pix that havent been saved.

Is there a way to maintain the same album view that I have on my old phone? Or a way to do a backup right now to google photos so I can be sure *everything* on the old phone is backed up on the cloud? I would prefer saving with the albums intact though, if that's an option.

I personally use super backup pro from the play store, that saves my contacts, apps, and data.
I use my Gmail account and the play store to reinstall the apps I currently have.
I use Google photos that backs up all of my photos and videos.
Music and sounds? I save all of them on my external SD....
I hope this helps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones