1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root How the hell do I unlock my bootloader with a broken power button?! AHHG

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cocomonkilla, Feb 20, 2011.

1. cocomonkilla

cocomonkilla Lurker

I'm trying to install Cyanogen so I can wake my phone with the trackball as my power button has completely stopped working. I've gotten to the point where I need to unlock the bootloader, but when I do the oem unlock through fastboot, the warning screen needs to user the power button to continue :(. Any way around this?

Advertisement

2. cocomonkilla

cocomonkilla Lurker

it did the unlock but now I can't go into recovery without the power button! what do i doooo

3. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert

adb reboot recovery, or install Quickboot

4. michaeljien

michaeljien Lurker

i am having the same problem!

My power button does not respond!

cocomonkilla, were u able to find another solution to do the root??

I am a total noob on this subject...

can you please guide me thru step by step how to get to tracking ball wake?

THANKS A LOT~!!!

5. krtecek007

krtecek007 Lurker

well, although QuickBoot helps you get one step further, the power button is still needed for the selections/confirmations in all remaining steps

so till now no luck with getting no-OTA gingerbread update with NexusOne with broken power button

6. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert

Ah, I forgot a step! Use ROM Manager (or fastboot) to flash a custom recovery, and use that to flash the OTA update, after turning off sig verification.

krtecek007 likes this.
  7. krtecek007

krtecek007 Lurker

you lost me after "use that to flash the OTA update, after turning off sig verification"

please send more info or link...

e.g. i have now installed/flashed "RA-passion-2.2.1" ([Recovery] [07-Jan-2011] RA-passion-v2.2.1 - xda-developers) but i'm still not able to move any further, operation with power button are still present in the requested steps

Thanks!

8. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert

No power button is needed with Amon Ra's recovery, I use it myself :)

You're on the right track. If you installed it via ROM Manager, just hit the reboot recovery button, and you're there.

If you installed it via fastboot, you're boned as you need to power button to continue, so reboot the phone and do it via ROM Manager.

sos4ever and krtecek007 like this.
  9. krtecek007

krtecek007 Lurker

Still no luck :-/

how does it look on my phone-
    In (free) Rom Manager v3.0.0.1 - it displays that "current recovery: RA Recovery v2.2.1" & "Latest Recovery: ClockworkMod 3.0.0.5"

When I hit the "reboot into recovery" option - I'm asked whether I'm really sure to "reboot into RA Recovery v2.2.1" - after OK button, the phone shows the nexus boot animation and then I'm back to the infamous android "exclamation mark" picture with no possibility to do anything.
    I tried the same with (free) QuickBoot (recovery option) with same output.

What specific condition is causing this, what information from my side is needed to help to resolve it ?

Thanks!

10. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert

In my experience, ROM Manager gets confused... it might think you have Amon Ra installed, but if you've rebooted the phone since since you did it, it will have reverted to stock (as you are seeing).

Get back into ROM Manager, and regardless of what it thinks you have installed, flash the recovery again, then reboot into it.

sos4ever and krtecek007 like this.
  11. krtecek007

krtecek007 Lurker

worked, the gingerbread was successfully installed on the NexusOne with broken power button!!!

Thanks a lot!

For others struggling with this point - above discussion contains mostly everything, there wasn't anything specific after the rebooting...

12. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert

Great stuff :D

13. Ngo93

Ngo93 Android Enthusiast

Pretty new to this, what does unlocking a bootloader exactly do?

14. Rusty

Rusty Android Expert

Allows you to use fastboot to flash .img files.

Ngo93 likes this.
Tags: