• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps How the music player or navigation app to keep app alive in the background

Snail

Lurker
Dec 13, 2018
My app need to keep running all the time in background event the screen is off.My application is not an internet product, and it is for special people in special scene. So I need to prevent the system killing my services and let my application can use network and gps service all the time.

I know this requirement is very harsh for an android developer. I used some ways from google to implement it. But they don't work very well for all the most android smart phone, specially in new android system (android O and android P)

I want to tell my boss that we cannot do (not wouldn't do) this requirement. But I don't have any evidence like Official documents to persuade my boss. Also his two questions I could not give correct answers:

1. why my music player (like kuGouMusic or QQMusic) can keep playing in the background ?

2. why my navigation app (Gaode or Baidu map) can keep record my route when the app in the background ?
If you have some official documents or you know how the two kinds application( music player and navigation app) do to keep the app alive. Also if you have other good solutions to keep the application alive, welcome to share to me. please kindly help me .

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones