1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support How to add Motorola contacts to gmail from the Atrix?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by who4ever, Jan 6, 2012.

1. who4ever

who4ever Member
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    Hi. Maybe someone can give me a quick fix. I have about 100 contacts listed in my Atrix. All of them were entered directly into the Atrix. I noticed that only 20 of them show up in my gmail account, the others are just listed as a "Motorola Services contact." The gmail contacts have this Motorola listing and also the gmail listing. I would like to get the other 80 contacts added to my gmail account, so if I should ever lose the Atrix, I have not lost all of my contacts. I want to ADD them, not just SYNC them. I see there is a setting that allows me to store NEW contacts into my gmail account, but nowhere can I find anything that will let me add already created contacts in the Motorola account to my gmail account. Am I going to have to go online to my gmail contacts and manually add all 80 of these accounts all over again, then go back to the Atrix and these will probably show up twice, then merge the contacts? I hope someone can tell me a quicker way. Thanks, Dave

Advertisement

2. itsallgood

itsallgood Android Expert
    None

Jan 27, 2011
    I know what you mean, I had this same issue when I had to one of my older phones and realized that only new contacts was sync to Gmail. (Heck, I couldn’t even restore contacts from Motoblur.) So I did some research and found a way to back up all of my older contacts to my Gmail.

1) Open the “Contacts App.” > menu> Import/Export contacts> Export Contacts to SD Card. (Confirm your selection and remember its storage location.)

2) Open your file manager and see if you see the .vcf file. If you do, your all set.

3) Go to your desktop computer. Connect your Atrix 4G using the provided USB cable. Select “Mass Storage”, I think.

4) Open up your Gmail. Go to “Contacts” and select more> import and select the location/file your contacts are in. Press ok and that should be it.

3. who4ever

who4ever Member
    None

Apr 3, 2011
    Someone sent me this method and it works like a dream and doesn't involve connecting the Atrix to the computer. Just wanted to pass it on.

This will initially duplicate your contacts but it works.

Open your contacts
    Press menu and select import/export
    Export your contacts to your sd card
    Then import from sd card
    Select import to gmail
    Go into settings --> accounts
    Sync your gmail account
    Sync it again just to make sure

Now those contacts are in gmail.

If you go back into contact
    Press menu and select display options
    uncheck everything except gmail

Now only the contacts in gmail are showing

4. paulyeo11

paulyeo11 Newbie
    None

Nov 13, 2011
    I like this post , will try these step later.