• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to adjust the roaming identification sound?

Hi everyone,

I just got the Moment and I like it so far, but for the love of God I can't figure out how to turn the sound off when my phone goes out of service. Where can I find this!?

I live in an area with poor cell service (I knew this and I hate talking on my phone) and just want the noise shut off. I don't need a stupid beep to tell me that it's outta service. It's driving me nuts. Please help!!

Thanks in advance.

Someone should answer soon. If not I will later when I get the phone in my hands!!!

According to the user's guide the only sound settings are under

Menu>Settings>sound and displays>notifcation ringtone.

Possibly there is something under roaming at

Menu>Settings>Wireless Controls> Mobile Netowrks

An turn off call guard.

That May Work!

Upvote 0
The call guard setting did not work. I already turned this off and I still get the notification when I "lose" signal and reconnect.

The notifications ringtone is different than the loss of signal and reconnect ringtone. So disabling this will not change/disable this specific notification.

I haven't found anyplace to turn this off yet...

Upvote 0
This is not a Moment thing. All Android phones have the same issue. It's really amusing to be in a Subway car and hear the tone comming from several Android devices, almost like they're talking to each other. I'm guessing that the people at Google who design the OS never go out of cell signal range. Other than the lame update proceedure for this phone, this is the most annoying bug (feature?).

Upvote 0
I would've hoped someone could have id'd the sound file (name) which then could be replaced with a silent file, but no luck yet.

i have my phone on vibrate all the time, so i haven't heard this in/out of service sound; nor do i know what it sounds like...

i'm looking under (rooted phone) system > media > audio and see the following folders

UI
Alarms
Notifications
Ringtones

and don't see anything that's obviously the notification... i'm sure if we can find the sound file, we can replace it with a no sound file...

Upvote 0
To solve the problem of it notifying you multiple times within the day instead of turning your phone off and on all the time just put it into airplane mode which takes about 2 second vs. taking minutes to restore the again when you turn it back on.

Also with it going in and out of service it is looking for service the whole tome which uses battery life fast.

Upvote 0
Is there any listing in the UI folder? Seems that would have the logical files? Wondering if I recreate that folder and name a silent file to the exact name of the tones, if it would work?

here's everything i get (nothing really stands out to me as change of service and i haven't added any audio that i know of...):

system > media > audio

>ui
videorecord.ogg
camera_click.ogg
keypressstandard.ogg
keypressreturn.ogg
keypressdelete.ogg
keypressspacebar.ogg
effect_tick.ogg

>alarms
alarm_classic.ogg
alarm_rooster_02.ogg
alarm_buzzer.ogg
alarm_beep_01.ogg
alarm_beep_02.ogg
alarm_beep_03.ogg

>notifications
Highwire.ogg
Beat_Box_Android.ogg
DearDeer.ogg
Tinkerbell.ogg
F1_New_SMS.ogg
CaffeineSnake.ogg
Voila.ogg
KzurbSonar.ogg
Heaven.ogg
F1_New_MMS.ogg
F1_MissedCall.ogg
TaDa.ogg
OnTheHunt.ogg
DontPanic.ogg

>ringtones
MidEvilJaunt.ogg
Samsung_Tune.mp3
BentleyDubs.ogg
Ring_Classic_02.ogg
BeatPlucker.ogg
SitarVsSitar.ogg
LoveFlute.ogg
InsertCoin.ogg
FriendlyGhost.ogg
RomancingtheTone.ogg
VeryAlarmed.ogg
Animato_Tone.mp3
CaribbeanIce.ogg
TwirlAway.ogg
EtherShake.ogg
Growl.ogg

edit: does anyone have a logcat of when they go in and out of service?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones