• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to adopt external micro sd card in samsung smart phones?

kumaranil13k

Jan 10, 2020
Question

I want to buy a new android smart phone and interested to by samasung galaxy 5g series or 4g series. But as while asking question many made me.in doubt that samasung galaxy don't support adoptable storage or move app to sd card or prefer external storage option in it.

So while google I found. The following query in android enthusist...in it one expert answered ways to adopt storage (format as as internal) through many ways in samsung device by rooting or without rooting. The device they mention is. S7 or may be old device...I want to confirm will it work in any new samasung galaxy devices

https://android.stackexchange.com/q...d-card-as-internal-storage-on-samsung-devices

Samsung (and some other manufacturers') devices don't support Adoptable Storage by default. However, there are some workarounds how you can enable it. Some devices will require root, and others don't. If you have a Galaxy A5, J5, J7, On5, choose method 2 (root required).

Before proceeding, make sure you have a backup as this will format your SD card.

Method 1 (NO ROOT | Galaxy S7)
Some Samsung phones (e.g. Galaxy S7) and other Android devices do not require root. You will need to execute the following commands using ADB:

adb shell
sm list-disks
sm partition <DISK> private
reboot
Replace <DISK> with the output of the previous command. (example: sm partition disk:179,64 private). If you don't want to convert the whole disk, then use this command instead: sm partition <DISK> mixed <VALUE>. Replace <VALUE> with the percentage (0-100) to keep as external storage. (Example: sm partition disk:179,64 mixed 50, for 50%).

If you do have root access, you can use my app Root Essentials instead. Root Essentials will execute all the commands for you, without the need of a PC.

Method 2 (ROOT | Galaxy A5, J5, J7)
If the above method didn't work for you, then it is not possible to get adoptable storage without root. (e.g. Galaxy A5, J5, J7, On5).

If you have rooted your device, you will need to download my app Root Essentials. After you have downloaded it, go to "Adoptable Storage". Then click the button "Adopt".

Root Essentials will ask you to flash a plugin using a custom recovery. (e.g TWRP). It is not possible to flash the plugin without a custom recovery. After you have flashed the plugin, reboot your device and open Root Essentials again. Now try adopting your SD card again and it should work.

I have adopted my SD card successfully, what do I need to do next?
After you have adopted your SD card, you will need to migrate your existing data to the SD card. This is to free up space on the internal storage.

To migrate your data:

Open (Android) Settings
Tap "Storage". (or "Device maintenance" > "Storage").
Select your SD card.
Open the menu (3 dots at top right), and tap "Migrate data".
Now your data will be migrated to the SD card.

If any one used any of the following mobiles the samsung galaxy 5g series (f62, f52, m32,m42) or samsung galaxy 4g series (f41 f22 m31 m21 m12) or xiomi ( redmi 10 prime, power 9 , note 10t, mi 10i, mi 11x) or Realme (nazo 30 ,x7, a 22, 8s, gt master edition, z7 , ) or oppo ( a53s, a 74, f19 pro+) vivo ( v20 v21 v21e) , poco (m3 pro m3, z3,x 3)

As the following link says samsung galaxy Galaxy A5, J5, J7, On5, S7,S9 work with these option

https://android.stackexchange.com/q...d-card-as-internal-storage-on-samsung-devices

Last edited:
No longer an option in the newer Samsung devices, and for good reason. Using the SD as adoptable internal storage slows down the phone since access speeds on the SD are not as fast as the internal flash memory, the card is encrypted and can't be read in another device, and use of an SD on this manner will cause it to fail prematurely due to the frequent writing to it resulting in the loss of your data.
This was always something of a hack for phones with limited storage. The newer phones, at least the higher-end ones, now have sufficient internal storage so this is not necessary. They are also much more difficult if not impossible to root to use 3rd-party storage apps like Link2SD.
I did stuff like this years ago, as did many others here, but those days are pretty much gone. I've felt no need to attempt rooting my current phone (S9) and I find the internal storage is quite sufficient.

Upvote 0
If you make the SD card internal storage, you greatly diminish the lifespan of the card.

The one time that I did this the card lasted about three months, and when it crashed everything that was on the card was lost forever.

Pictures, videos, apps, app data- all gone and unable to be recovered.

When the card is formated as internal, it is encrypted and will only work in that device.
No other device can get the encryption keys.

Reactions: ocnbrze and mikedt
Upvote 0
Question

I want to buy a new android smart phone and interested to by samasung galaxy 5g series or 4g series. But as while asking question many made me.in doubt that samasung galaxy don't support adoptable storage or move app to sd card or prefer external storage option in it.

So while google I found. The following query in android enthusist...in it one expert answered ways to adopt storage (format as as internal) through many ways in samsung device by rooting or without rooting. The device they mention is. S7 or may be old device...I want to confirm will it work in any new samasung galaxy devices

FYI that article is referring to the Galaxy S5 and S7, which are ancient. So it's very likely that non-root method will NOT work for current Samsungs. My Samsung has 256GB of internal storage, so adoptable storage is not something I would even consider.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
so i have been following @kumaranil13k's threads and i think he is an app developer and needs to test a lot of apps on one device and the only way to do this, is to try and use adoptable storage.....i might be wrong on this, but it is what i gathered from his posts.

and i got bored at work so i hopped on Samsung's website and noticed they have a chat feature. @kumaranil13k you might want to give them a chat and maybe they can point you in the right direction as far as what phones will suit your needs. maybe you can workout some kind of business deal as well.

Upvote 0
@Fox Mulder @puppykickr @mikedt @Davdi bro all of you first thanks for replying and sharing your precious opinion advice suggestions knowledge to grateful obliged for ur kind help

No longer an option in the newer Samsung devices, and for good reason. Using the SD as adoptable internal storage slows down the phone since access speeds on the SD are not as fast as the internal flash memory, the card is encrypted and can't be read in another device, and use of an SD on this manner will cause it to fail prematurely due to the frequent writing to it resulting in the loss of your data.
This was always something of a hack for phones with limited storage. The newer phones, at least the higher-end ones, now have sufficient internal storage so this is not necessary. They are also much more difficult if not impossible to root to use 3rd-party storage apps like Link2SD.
I did stuff like this years ago, as did many others here, but those days are pretty much gone. I've felt no need to attempt rooting my current phone (S9) and I find the internal storage is quite sufficient.
If you make the SD card internal storage, you greatly diminish the lifespan of the card.

The one time that I did this the card lasted about three months, and when it crashed everything that was on the card was lost forever.

When the card is formated as internal, it is encrypted and will only work in that device.
No other device can get the encryption keys.
FYI that article is referring to the Galaxy S5 and S7, which are ancient. So it's very likely that non-root method will NOT work for current Samsungs. My Samsung has 256GB of internal storage, so adoptable storage is not something I would even consider.
Neither would I consider adoptable storage. My current phone has 128GB internal storage, and a similarly sized SD card for Photos/Videos/music etc. Which is formatted EXT4 so is readable my PC and Laptop (Both Linux - there's no Microsoft here).

@Fox Mulder @puppykickr @mikedt @Davdi bro as u all concern is right and ur opinions are same and 100% true. First let me tell my reason for adoptable storage concern. I had purchased a SanDisk extreme V30 A2 128gb/256 micro sd card with seq read 160mbps/ seq write 90 Mbps speed with 10 years warranty . I want to create 3 partition 1st partition fat32 dedicated to photos videos whatsapp media mount second partition ext4 as apps files moved and 3rs partition as ext4 for nandroid backup twrp recovery backup or adb pull now reason for moving apps is that I want to install certain profesion tools apps of many categories (internet browser downloaders, system apps, video editing apps, graphic designing apps, gps apps, social networking apps, cab air rail booking ticketing, finnacing banking apps, educational, video confrence apps) like photo editing, video editing , Google ads social networking tools, logo creating, architectural deigning tools, camera tools, video photo, meeting video conference apps...now as videos 4k 8k shooted video and images or edited needs high sequential read and writing speed and apps need random read and write speed. Now the output videos edited shooted or downloaded size is from 100mb to 1000mb (1gb) so the video each video or photograph edited needs 5-10 samples ( 5gb to 10gb) and I a day I have to edit 5-10 projects (50gb-100gb project files) while editing while working. so i need huge storage and huge free space on internal and external sd card. Now I know it's done in laptop pc desktop in Adobe priemer final cut sony vegas desktop latptop Mac or windows softwares . But Adobe photoshop lightroom premeier cavas many such apps is having android versions apps to and I want to to do part time working in mobile to. For final smaal editing at last moment on tour travelling to.

When the card is formatted as internal, it is encrypted and will only work in that device.
No other device can get the encryption keys
@puppykickr bro as you have bitter experience I can understand hdd usb drive or memory card are not stable fast as internal memory. As about lifespan the profesional SanDisk extreme micro card have warranty of 5-10years and I will get replacement and about data loss i had planned to keep take weekly monthly or daily image nandroid backup (adb pull or twrp) of external micro sd card and system userdata.img on hdd usb and store in cloud to recover it back within 30 min of either micro external sd card or full system boot userdata.

As when formatted as internal it's encrypted I think if I am not wrong (if wrong kindly correct me suggest me) that internal encrypted as card can be accessed through windows MTP. Usb share and cloud storage and adb pull is possible and there is dm-0 device for internal storage which not encrypted (unencrypted) is there any such device for external micro sd card as internal to which we can take backup.

Upvote 0
@ocnbrze bro thanx for replying and your wonderful reply and sharing ur opinion knowledge suggestion to obliges ans grateful to you bro

so i have been following @kumaranil13k's threads and i think he is an app developer and needs to test a lot of apps on one device and the only way to do this, is to try and use adoptable storage.....i might be wrong on this, but it is what i gathered from his posts.

and i got bored at work so i hopped on Samsung's website and noticed they have a chat feature. @kumaranil13k you might want to give them a chat and maybe they can point you in the right direction as far as what phones will suit your needs. maybe you can workout some kind of business deal as well.

@ocnbrze bro sorry to bore you brother with my daily same queries..actually I think that nothing is impossible every problem have some solution one or other way so I am trying to turn every bit possible chance to solve the riddle...

@ocnbrze bro yes you are right about testing apps but I am novice not app a developer I had already tested download apk of different categories and tested in my old lyf water 8 android 6.1 marshemellow internal memory 16gb and external 64 gb memory card with adoptable storage
And edited apks mainfest from apk editor the installlocation : preferexternal and sucessdully moved 250 apps out of 300 apps on external sd and extracted the edited apks .

@ocnbrze bro as u all suggested in other threads recommended to seprate old mobiles for testing apps and to purchase new 128gb mobile for designing profesional work so I had finalised in this festival discount to get new. any new smart phone Mobile and stop boring and troubling you from my queries

@ocnbrze bro as u all concern is right and ur opinions are same and 100% true. First let me tell my reason for adoptable storage concern. I had purchased a SanDisk extreme V30 A2 128gb/256 micro sd card with seq read 160mbps/ seq write 90 Mbps speed with 10 years warranty . I want to create 3 partition 1st partition fat32 dedicated to photos videos whatsapp media mount second partition ext4 as apps files moved and 3rs partition as ext4 for nandroid backup twrp recovery backup or adb pull now reason for moving apps is that I want to install certain profesional tools apps of many categories (internet browser downloaders, system apps, video editing apps, graphic designing apps, gps apps, social networking apps, cab air rail booking ticketing, finacning banking paying apps, educational, video confrence apps) like photo editing, video editing , Google ads social networking tools, logo creating, architectural deigning tools, camera tools, video photo, meeting video conference apps...now as videos 4k 8k shooted video and images or edited needs high sequential read and writing speed and apps need random read and write speed. Now the output videos edited shooted or downloaded size is from 100mb to 1000mb (1gb) so the video each video or photograph edited needs 5-10 samples ( 5gb to 10gb) and I a day I have to edit 5-10 projects (50gb-100gb project files) while editing while working. so i need huge storage and huge free space on internal and external sd card. Now I know it's done in laptop pc desktop in Adobe priemer final cut sony vegas desktop latptop Mac or windows softwares . But Adobe photoshop lightroom premeier cavas many such apps is having android versions apps to and I want to to do part time working in mobile to. For final small editing at last moment on tour travelling in mobilty and final touch o can use mobile then laptop.

@ocnbrze bro as u suggested samsung chat I had tried for manufacturer vendor them for them rooting adb shell SM Storage manager or PM package manager ..for samsung mobiles they think all ilegal to root modify any settings so it's profesional developer in xda android forum who can suggest me.solutions..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

@Fox Mulder @puppykickr @mikedt @Davdi
@ocnbrze bro can help and tell that do the following sm storage manager (SM) package manager (PM) can work with new smartphones names listed below.

Does Storage manager (SM) Package manager (PM) command works in android 10,11?

I want to purchase new android mobile as new smart phone come.with android 9,10,11.

As I want adaptable storage as all experts told no new mobile vendor manufacturer supports adoptable except android 6.0 marshemellow it was introduced but many forums it said that android 9.0 (https://source.android.com/devices/storage/adoptable) and above support but it's hidden disabled by vendor manufacturer and can be enabled through following commands

adb shell
sm has-adoptable
sm set -force- adoptable true
sm set-virtual-disk true
Reboot

Or

Adb shell
sm list-disks
sm partition disk:179:160 mixed 25
sm format private:179,3
sm mount private:179,3
Reboot

Or

Adb shell
pm set-install-location 2
pm get-install-location
Reboot

Now I want to ask that do Storage manager (SM) or Package manager (PM) java command is Available in android 9,10,11 new any model smartphone mobile phone (samsung, vivo, Oppo, MI..any company any model u know ) without rooting (as rooting may cause warranty void) will SM or PM above commands can be runned by terminal emulator and will any of the above SM command partition or format external sd card as internal can be enable or partly run adopt the external micro sd card through this method

If any one used any of the following mobiles the samsung galaxy 5g series (f62, f52, m32,m42) or samsung galaxy 4g series (f41 f22 m31 m21 m12) or xiomi ( redmi 10 prime, power 9 , note 10t, mi 10i, mi 11x) or Realme (nazo 30 ,x7, a 22, 8s, gt master edition, z7 , ) or oppo ( a53s, a 74, f19 pro+) vivo ( v20 v21 v21e) , poco (m3 pro m3, z3,x 3)

As the following link says samsung galaxy Galaxy A5, J5, J7, On5, S7,S9 work with these option

How to adopt SD card as internal storage on Samsung devices?

Upvote 0
Even if the card has a warranty, that will only replace the card- and at that point, who cares?

Everything will be lost.

Even if you back up as you describe you would need to back up even more often, because the card will give no warning before it dies.

You will waste enormous time constantly backing up things.

Why not use the SD card as a backup for your work, and store the app apks online?

Why not have an external hard drive for more storage?

It just sounds like you are trying to stuff 10 pounds of potatoes into a 5 pound bag.

Reactions: kumaranil13k
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones