1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

How to advertise a new Android game?

Discussion in 'Introductions' started by pkingsley, Sep 26, 2011.

1. pkingsley

pkingsley Lurker
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    Hey,

I've just released my first Android app, "Hungry Ducks Free", on the Android market and had over 1000 downloads in the first 2 days. Now it has been on the market for a week it is getting very few downloads, I guess no one is going to try randomly searching for Hungry Ducks!

I'm new to all of this and don't really know what the next step is to go about getting people to find my game on the store. I don't really want to have to pay for advertising for it seeing as though I am giving it away for free.

If anyone has any ideas I would really appreciate hearing them.

Thanks!

Phil

Advertisement

2. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    Welcome to Android Forums, Phil!

I can give you a little advice, seeing as how I've been in the advertising business for the past 30 years in some form or another. You have three options.

The first one you are already doing ... nothing. Hoping, by some miracle the world discovers your app and you become a phenom. Could happen, but highly unlikely. You have just as much chance as hitting the lottery ... twice (and you'd make more money with the lottery.)

The second thing you could do is what most commercial enterprises do ... they hire someone to market their product for them, which they pay for, usually in large sums.

The third option you have is to do it yourself. Start slowly and use the media that your product targets. Apps are perfect for blogs and online fan sites, since everyone who reads them is a potential 'customer'. (Since you are offering your app for free, I am using 'customer' in a broad sense). You're going to have to do some work. Get out press releases to the media, blogs, reviews, etc. and don't just email, but try and make a phone call to an editor or writer. And don't get discouraged ... many will say 'no' or agree to review your app and never get around to it.

Use social media as well, although promoting through those venues borders on spam, so keep it relevant and topical. Don't just go blasting "great free game" all over the interwebs.

I could tell you more, but then I'd have to charge you ;)

Good luck.

pkingsley likes this.
  3. pkingsley

pkingsley Lurker
    None

Sep 26, 2011
    Thanks for all of your advice, I really appreciate it. Doing press releases all seems a bit daunting! Would it be possible for you to give me a good person/company to get me started?

4. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Jun 12, 2010
    Male
    IT
    Pennsylvania
    That's sort of like asking which is the best phone. ;)

Your best bet initially would be to find a reputable person in an area close to you so you can actually meet them. While electronic communication is a remarkable tool, there is nothing that will establish rapport faster than a face-to-face.

5. crash8088

crash8088 Lurker
    None

Mar 14, 2011
    Android App Developer
    I see your app now has between 10,000 & 50,000 downloads. It seems you have solved the problem of not being noticed. Care to share the secret to your success?

I published a small, free, basic but useful kids learning app,

6. countryqt30

countryqt30 Member
    None

Apr 25, 2012
    Funny thing I've published something very similar to that a few days ago.

7. avradu1984

avradu1984 Lurker
    None

Mar 27, 2013
    How did you get 1000 downloads in the first 2 days? I have 26 downloads in the first 4 days?

Any advice you'd like to share?

8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    On year and two year old posts, you can try dropping a private message, don't expect responses this much later.