1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

[HOW TO] and some root terminology

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by scotty85, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

S-off means security off, it allows you to flash unsigned PG05IMG.zip files in hboot without s-off you can only flash official PG05IMG.zip files. I think you can figure out what all the other "s" terms would mean i.e. s-on;)

You are not rooted via Unrevoked, but via Revolutionary and you should be able to customize your sense 3.0 lock screen with McLabia's instructions after you flash a rom with the 3.0 lock screen included, like Synergy

2. CoyotesFan4Evr

CoyotesFan4Evr Android Enthusiast

I kinda thought that's what it meant. But I didn't want to assume and be wrong or that it could mean multiple things. And yeah I misspoke because I am rooted via Revolutionary. Which is awesome by the way. I haven't ponied up to flash a rom just yet though, still messing around with stock rooted.

3. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

I think you might run into less issues running a custom rom instead of stock

4. scotty85

scotty85 Extreme Android User

from post 2 above ;)

just make sure you are cautious what you flash in hboot. it can be dangerous if the wrong files are flashed,or proper precatutions are not taken. while its really cool to not have htc siginiture checks,with it comes great responsability. a bad hboot flash is the best way i can think of to turn your phone into an unuseable paperweight :eek:

glad you are here checking things out,lots of good info in this forum. :cool:

5. CoyotesFan4Evr

I would run a custom rom if it meant I didn't have to redo everything on my phone again. The biggest reason why I rooted with the new method was because I didn't have to have all my data wiped. The TB is so much better and in a sense more complex than what I came from and that being the Eris. I have done a ton of things to my TB and if there is a custom rom in which I wouldn't have to have everything wiped then ok I'll do it....but for now I suppose I'll deal with the issues I am having.:rolleyes:

6. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

What are you wanting to save on your phone?

7. CoyotesFan4Evr

Let's see the things that I don't believe titanium backup will save are the contacts but that's done with google so I'm ok there. Uh, all the pictures I downloaded that I use on an app called slideshow wallpaper. I downloaded them with DroidIris and I don't think that the app saves what you download although it might auto save them to my sd card. I'm just not sure because I have almost 200 pics downloaded and they are being used in a custom wallpaper slideshow. Oh and I have all my e-mail accounts setup just the way they should be. I know on my Eris that once I rooted I couldn't get my e-mails set back up.

8. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

For the emails if they are set up with a client like K9 or touchdown then they will be saved, if they are on the stock client you would need to reset up the account and then redownload them, but they wouldn't be lost they should still be on the server. The images should be on the SD card, if you backup the data for the app then restore it there should be no change. Your contact should be saved to google if you chose that option.

9. kattolo

kattolo Lurker

If you use Revolutionary to s-off the bootloader, install CWR (or any other custom recovery) and root the Thunderbolt, and you are on a Stock ROM, and you don't want to risk problems caused by OTA Updates, you can block them by renaming the file
    Code (Text):
    1. /system/etc/security/otacerts.zip
    for example naming it someting like otacerts.zip.bak

The file contains the certificate for the digital signatures of the OTAs, if the file is not present the installation of the OTA will not go through cause the OTA update file downloaded on the phone won't be verifiable as authentic by the phone.
    So, don't panic if you see the OTA update being downloaded!
    The update file will still be downloaded (it might do more than one attempt too), but it will fail the check and it will not be installed.

If you want to go back and allow OTAs you can just FLASH THE APPROPRIATE RECOVERY FIRST (that you can find in the sticky thread in the first page), rename the file back to otacerts.zip and wait for the OTA or check for OTA updates without having to worry about boot problems.

To rename the file is needed a file manager with root capabilities (like Root Explorer or Super Manager) cause the file's permission are rw-r--r-- (or 0644)

Warning:

This little trick applies just to OTA Updates (tested on Stock ROM), it's not meant for and it won't stop deliberate flashing or updating of ROMs (from recovery mode or clockworkmod for example)

rschmiege likes this.
  10. goingdead

goingdead Newbie

complete noob to the android platform/adb/rooting/blahblahblah/etc but i got the recovery root done in less than 15 minutes. finally got root!!!!!!!

now i just have to figure out how to get BAMF forever 1.0.3 on my phone ha

edit: definitely posted this in the wrong thread
    lol

11. m3jota

m3jota Lurker

I am following these steps. Steps 1-8 worked fine, on step 9 when I type "fastboot devices" command prompt returns no output and just shows the command line again:
    c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>fastboot devices

c:\android-sdk-windows\platform-tools>

next I tried step 10 and entered "fastboot oem mw 8d08ac54 1 31302E30" and then that just shows "< waiting for device >" and remains there for good. I have been waiting over 15 minutes now. Any suggestions?

12. scotty85

Sounds like you don't have fastboot drivers. Donwload them from revolutionaryz site,and try letting the wizard install them.

13. scotty85

As an afterthot,you did advanced reboot bootloader,correct? This should take you to the fastboot screen where you have the following options:
    Bootloader
    Reboot
    Reboot bootloader
    power down

That is the screen you want to run the "fastboot" commands in

14. m3jota

m3jota Lurker

Perfect! I am all set now. Downloaded the fastboot drivers from:
    http://downloads.unrevoked.com/HTCDriver3.0.0.007.exe

Fastboot recognizes my phone now.

15. scotty85

Awesome! Glad it's working now. :)

16. jscott96

jscott96 Well-Known Member

Where can I get the su file for the revolutionary root? I am in the process of re-rooting now

17. scotty85

On revolutionarys website. Or the bottom of the first post in the root/unroot thread: "working super user for TB sense" :)

18. jscott96

Would that be the "rmk-superuser-v1.0.0" from the XDA link?

19. jscott96

Got it and rooted once again! Now what ROM to go with!?

20. WormDoes

WormDoes Android Expert

Depends on what you like. If you like the way it looked and felt stock (sense) then chose a sense ROM. If you want to try something completely different try an AOSP ROM

21. scotty85

sorry for the delayed reply,im sure you figured it out by now,but yes. :) the rmk superuser is supposed to work lil better with new sense versions,and its always the one i use when rooting an RUU.

welcome back to the club :)

jscott96 likes this.
  22. jscott96

No worries, its just good to be rooted again! I am going to play with some sense rom's but then I think I wanna try the AOSP way of life.

:D

23. Sailing_Nut

Sailing_Nut Well-Known Member

OK, stupid question here!

What is a recovery? I did not find it in the definitions, only found custom recovery.

I'm reading up on everything before I root and want to be certain I'm understanding everything.

TIA!

24. Yeahha

Yeahha Usually off topic

Recovery is the platform that sits between hboot and the actual android system. Once rooted if you want to flash roms you will use a custom recovery as the stock recovery does not allow you to flash roms. I think you can get into recovery on a stock phone by booting into hboot, then pressing volume down until you highlight recovery and press the power button but I could be wrong as I don't think I have tried that on the thunderbolt stock but I have on other phones.

25. scotty85

Also,check out the definition for "custom recovery" in the 2nd post ;)

HTC Thunderbolt Forum

The HTC Thunderbolt release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1400mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews