• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to auto open an email attachment

exus69

Lurker
Aug 28, 2011
Hello all,

I searched for this but could not find it anywhere.
When I click on any attachment I want it to be opened up automatically instead of going to the downloads folder and clicking on the downloaded file again. This will be applicable to doc,docx,xls,xlsx,pdf,jpg.

Please help

i just tested with a .txt, .doc/x, .pdf. when i open the mail, click the attachment title...it opens automatically, or it opens and asks me to choose the program to open it with. if u click the save icon, it is saved in the download folder, and u have to open manually. same thing if u have many attachments, and u click save all. but even after saving, just click the title of the attachment, not the save icon, and it'll open directly :) hope that helps

Upvote 0
Perhaps the email app is looking for another app which is not there, or some other low level data coruption. You can try fixing byt going into Aettings, applications finding the app you are using then on the dialog after you tap it, clear the cache data which will rebuild itself if needed.. See if that improves things.

Based on what you are saying there is no reason why it wouldn't open the attachement. You do have Polaris Office on the phone also correct?

Upvote 0
i just tested with a .txt, .doc/x, .pdf. when i open the mail, click the attachment title...it opens automatically, or it opens and asks me to choose the program to open it with. if u click the save icon, it is saved in the download folder, and u have to open manually. same thing if u have many attachments, and u click save all. but even after saving, just click the title of the attachment, not the save icon, and it'll open directly :) hope that helps

Thanks alot heshanj for solving my prob. It was my silly mistake
of not tapping the title of the attachment. I kept pressing the
save button all the time. Actually I had tried tapping on the title
some weeks back but that it never opened automatically. Guess
I must be tapping "very softly" because its a brand new phone.

We sort of take extra care for anything thats new lol.

Thanks for helping DaveSyd. Appreciate :)

p.s.: Can you guys help me out with another problem that am facing
with the sent folder. Here's the link http://androidforums.com/samsung-galaxy-s2/408079-email-app-sent-folder-problems.html

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones