1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

How to avoid message before connecting to USB storage?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Biffos, Jul 28, 2013.

1. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

How can one avoid the message after plugging in the USB cabel connecting a computer and before connecting to the USB storage of the phone? You each time have to confirm the message / press OK.

And can I disconnect the phone just by unplugging the plug or is there anything you should do before?

Advertisement

2. Thatdad

Thatdad Android Expert

As far as I know there isn't a way. Its so minor I guess Google didn't see a reason to add that option. And no you can just unplug. But if you feel like you should then left click on it and click "eject" then unplug.

3. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

OK, thank you. So just always click OK.

No, no, better just unplug without touching anything.

Thanks again.

4. Thatdad

Thatdad Android Expert

You're welcome. :)

The only reason why it ever matters with anything else is because if you unplug certain devices it won't save the changes you made. I've never seen android do that unless you're copying over music or something and its showing the files transferring and you unplug it during the process..

Which someone would have to be pretty dumb or distracted enough to do that.

5. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

OK, I hope, I do not belong to those persons, but who knows?

But, I have unplugged the plug (without touching anyting before) and the state of the phone obviously has stayed the same as plugged in. So the icons (there is a message after you plug in the device, that some apps won't work or something like that and some icons disappear when using it as a storage or so) do not appear anymore.

Have I to restart the phone now?

6. Thatdad

Thatdad Android Expert

I probably should have worded that differently. :thumbdown: I would assume so. Whenever I click my device on the computer it doesn't even give me the option to eject or disconnect so that's why I said it's probably not a big deal.

7. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

Yes, actually I would think so, too, that there would not be any problem to disconnect without confirming anything, may be there was another problem. But after restarting the phone it appears to work like before. All OK now.

Thanks again.

8. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert

9. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

Thank you for the link, divinebovine.

I will try that app. Do not know what "dual mounting" is.

Thanks again.

10. divinebovine

Dual mounting leaves the SD card mounted on the phone but also makes it available to the computer. Normally when you put your phone in USB mass storage mode it unmounts the card from the phone and mounts it only on the computer.

Background terminology, for anyone who doesn't quite get what "mount" means here: In computer/smartphone technology, the term "mount" means when the OS recognizes a filesystem and makes it available to the user. If you've ever plugged a USB drive into Windows and heard the sound that tells you that a USB device was recognized as being plugged in but it didn't get a drive letter, Windows failed to mount it.

11. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

OK, so that is why some apps do not work anymore as long as the SD card is unmounted.

So to just plug in an USB device, e.g. an USB-Stick, a SD-Card, an ISO-CD / DVD means to mount something (if Windows shoes the drive letter, if it does not fail).

Thank you very much.

12. divinebovine

Well, mounting refers specifically only to a subset of what happens there. When you plug it in and Windows recognizes that a USB device has been plugged in, it hasn't mounted anything yet. Only once Windows starts reading the filesystem and assigns it a drive letter is it mounted.

It's an important distinction to make in this context since we're talking about the MicroSD card that's not being physically touched.

13. Biffos

Biffos Well-Known Member

OK, many thanks, I understand.