• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help How to back up all info?

916x10

Android Enthusiast
Nov 13, 2010
I was about to run the SEUS and it told me to back up my phone first. Iknow that i'm going to need to be able to do so when I get ready to flash it to 2.1 so I figured might as well get this figured out. Is there an app that can do this for me or will I need to do so manually? Any suggestions on the best way to go about this would be appreciated.

Well since you are using the "A" version of the x10, you will have quite a long wait for the 2.1 update, from our favorite carrier AT&T, who as of 2 days ago, has NO idea if or when they will update the x10"A" to 2.1. Encouraging words for sure. Anyway to your question, this will be accomplished as you go through the update process with SE PC Companion program. Here is a link of where you will go:

Sony Ericsson - Promotion

You may want to establish or register on the site so the process can run smooth when we do update. However, as of today, we using AT&T cannot use any of SE programs for syncing or backup. Per SE, this was a decision that AT&T made when they rolled out the phones, so as of today, we cannot use this fantastic system. So As a result, AT&T will be providing links to their own area to backup and restore, if we ever even get the upgrade.

Now, if you are rooted, a different story all together. While rooted and debranded you can load up 2.1 on your phone, or at least you are suppose to be able to do so. However, no one using the "A" version and AT&T have been able to complete the update to 2.1 successfully. So again, we are hung up. BUT if things were different and you were rooted and debranded you would install a program called "Titanium Backup"..

I know this was not a lot of help, but you at least can enjoy the frustration that all of us on AT&T are experiencing. So stay tuned to this forum for further updates..

Upvote 0
rooting and debranding is very easy, you can even do it using apps now.
you can also flash with a generic uk rom and then upgrade to 2.1 using SEUS.
only thing you really need to do is backup your contacts to your sd card, or at least i found that to work best for me.
if you want to back up more you can use mybackup pro but i found it was better to just keep your contacts then reinstall everything else fresh although mybackup allows you to back up all your apps too

Upvote 0
One MAJOR issue with rooting... "YOU WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY" So unless your extremly tech savy and/or have the extra cash around to buy a new phone at basically full price, you may seriously want to think about any rooting or debranding. I feel that even though I am tech savy enough to complate the ROOT process, I do not feel comfortable enough with this phone to take a 100% guess that it will NOT fail within the next two years, thus may need warranty service, which I will not have available to me since it is VOIDED. What makes it worse is that we are dealing with AT&T and they will NOT bend an inch in regards to a voided warranty. Maybe other carriers are more relaxed, like Rogers in Canada, but AT&T is not!

So therein you have the rub, as they say...

Upvote 0
if you root then change to a generic rom and then update via SEUS you will have the latest software albeit a generic rom but you wont be rooted unless you re-root
i cant see how this would affect your warranty as its an official update
all your doing is rooting the 1.6 which will be replaced anway. if you have software issues, just reinstall, if its hardware issues then yes this could require warranty work

Upvote 0
if you root then change to a generic rom and then update via SEUS you will have the latest software albeit a generic rom but you wont be rooted unless you re-root
i cant see how this would affect your warranty as its an official update
all your doing is rooting the 1.6 which will be replaced anway. if you have software issues, just reinstall, if its hardware issues then yes this could require warranty work

You obviously do not about the wicked AT&T, LOL. It is a known fact that it voids the warranty and AT&T will check and it will be found out that it is rooted. Not to mention that no one has successfully done this with an A model and using AT&T. Like I said, unless you can afford it, best not to do it.. Just my 2 cents...

Upvote 0
Both me and a buddy on Rogers in Canada with x10a phones have updated now... and both have experienced the same issues (things are never as smooth as the instructions let on).

Here is the method that eventually worked:

Step 1: Begin installing the most recent version of PC Companion.

Step 2: On your phone, go into your contacts and perform a backup to SD card manually (not the "Backup & Restore" utility).

Step 3: On your phone, install "Barcode Scanner" from the market if you haven't in the past.

Step 4: Set the phone to allow install of applications from unknown sources. This will allow you to update your "Backup & Restore" utility directly from the SE site.

Step 5: Run PC Companion and connect the phone and follow the instructions that it gives. At one stage, it diverts you to the step about backing up... do it. Allow this process to finish.

Step 6: Once your phone is booted back up with 2.1, run the "Backup & Restore" utility and restore from your most recent backup (a few minutes ago).

Step 7: Check your contacts. If they do not exist, import them from SD Card from the manual backup you did just in case. Choose "from phone" and choose from vcard (not from vcards or from all vcards) and choose the one with the most recent date.

This process should get you back up and running with all your contacts and text messages and even apps (all that are compatible with 1.6 and 2.1). Unfortunately you now face setting up everthing again (email, facebook, etc).

Good luck. The most important thing is to double back up contacts. That seems to be the most important feature that Backup & Restore fails miserably at.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones