1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Root How to backup before switching to a new SD card?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Glenn Bartley, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Glenn Bartley

Glenn Bartley Newbie

Hello everyone,

I am new to this forum and smart phones in general. Yesterday I bought an HTC desire that is rooted and running Leedroid. The phone came with an 8gb card in it and (of course) I have been busy playing with it and downloading apps, setting up scenes, etc.

My question is - if I want to upgrade to a 32GB card how easy is it to back up my entire phone and copy it on to the new card? Given that this phone is writing apps to the SD (A2SD)???

I have "Titanium Backup" which might do the trick? I am just not sure.

Thanks so much for any help :)

Glenn

Advertisement

2. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Android Expert

Use Titanium Backup to backup all of your apps and data.

Connect your SD card to a computer and copy the contents of the SD card to a folder on your computer for safe keeping. You can then transfer them to your new SD card. :)

Remember that you will need to partition your new SD card if you are running a LeeDroid ROM with A2SD+

3. SUroot

SUroot Extreme Android User

Its basically this from my faq, except before you do this take a Nadroid backup

..and instead of step 5, restore your nandroid backup.

4. JohnnyBravo1000

JohnnyBravo1000 Android Expert

Definitely get into the habit of making Nandroid backups every so often.

5. Glenn Bartley

Glenn Bartley Newbie

Hi Guys,

So I just got my 32GB card from Newegg and am now keen to switch over from the factory 8GB. I appreciate the replies to my original question but I just want to make sure I have everything clear before I try this.

STEP 1) Turn on phone in recovery mode and make a Nadroid Backup (AKA clockworkmod). (I am guessing that these are stored on the SD card by date?)
    STEP 2) Copy the entire contents of the old SD card to my computer (Simple copy/paste?)
    STEP 3) Get GParted Live cd, burn to CD, and boot to it (boot from CD option on computer start up I am guessing?)
    Step 4) Power off phone and switch to the new 32 GB card
    Step 5) Connect Phone via USB in Recovery mode and mount as USB mass storage (I am guessing when I plug the phone in it will give me the choice?)
    Step 6) Resize the existing FAT32 partition using the new Linux program from the back, leaving space after it and create an EXT partition in the space. (How much space do I create for the EXT partition?)
    Step 7) Restore Nadroid backup that was created in Step 1 (Again I am guessing that there will be an option to restore from backup and the file will be by date?)

Any other steps? Things I am missing?

If I F it up can I just put my old card back in and it will work fine?

6. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

All sounds good to me!

I have my ext3 partition set to 600MB.

7. Glenn Bartley

Glenn Bartley Newbie

I worked my way through these steps all the way to the last one. When I went to restore my backup I got an error message:

E: Can't mount/dev/block/mmcblk0p2
    (file exists)
    Error mounting /sd-ext/!
    skipping format...

Any thoughts? What should my next move be??

8. SUroot

Repartitioning your sd card with gparted

9. Glenn Bartley

Glenn Bartley Newbie

I used a tool that was recommended called "mini tool partition wizard". Maybe it didnt do the trick?

When I re-partition should I also format the 32 GB card again?

Glenn

10. SUroot

I've used it. It's Shit and got me in lots of trouble. Use gparted

11. Glenn Bartley

Glenn Bartley Newbie

I think I see what you mean!!I tried it again and now my computer wont even see the card. So I tried formatting it using windows and I just keep getting an error message "windows was unable to complete the format"....great...

WHAT SHOULD I DO???? WILL GPARTED BE ABLE TO FIX MY CARD?

12. SUroot

Yes. See my a2sd faq for steps on how to use it.

13. LECTER

LECTER Android Expert

Windows doesn't recognize the partition.

Use the tutorial in my sig (Gparted) and do what SUroot says, it's the best way to do what needs to be done.

14. Glenn Bartley

Glenn Bartley Newbie

Wahooo! Finally got it to work. Thanks so much guys!!

Glenn

15. SUroot

Tags: