• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How To Best Manage Alternative Emails With Android and Gmail

So this isn't exactly android specific, but it really helps if you use email on your android phone that isn't gmail. We all know the gmail app is better than the different stock emails apps that come with phones, so why not just utilise gmail for every email account you have? With the added benefit that you can also use the gmail desktop interface at your pc to manage all your email accounts..

Source: Droid Den - How To Best Manage Alternative Emails With Android and Gmail - Droid Den

So you have an android phone, but your main email account isn't a gmail one. What do you do? Well lets get the important thing over with first. Make gmail your #1 main email! You won't regret it. It works so flawlessly with android that it would be silly not to. Not to mention its fantastic on your PC, especially if you use Chrome browser (and if not, why the hell not?!). Anyway, I know lots of people have other, non-gmail accounts (me included). So I thought I'd write up a guide on how to best manage these alternative emails you have within android. I'll be using hotmail as the example alternative email, simply because its the most common email you guys will have.

1. Open gmail on your PC and go to settings.
  2. Click on the Accounts and Import tab.
  3. Click on Add POP3 Email Account.
  4. Enter your hotmail email address and click next.
  5. Enter your username and password.
  6. Tick Label Incoming Messages, and in the dropdown box scroll to the bottom and select New Label.
  7. Enter Hotmail as the name.
  8. Tick Archive Incoming Messages (Skip the Inbox).
  9. Click Add Account.
  10. Done.

Now all your hotmail emails will automatically arrive in your gmail account, under the label Hotmail. Therefore they won't get mixed up with your gmail emails. And you can just click on the Hotmail label to see them all. Sort of like having a second email account inside your gmail account.

Anyway, check the source for more info :)

It's all a personal preference thing, but I like to keep my emails separate. I have two hotmail accounts: one hotmail.com, and one hotmail.ca. My hotmail.com account is an older email that I now use to register to forums and any other internet activity. I find this keeps my other emails free from spam and whatnot.

I do have my three email accounts "joined" on my Android phone using the email app, but I also use the separate Gmail app, which is great.

Upvote 0
What I did was I forwarded my primary email account to my Gmail account. My secondary email account is just imported into Gmail. I did this because I liked the push mail feature of Gmail. Now when I get an email (on my primary account), I am notified instantly (instead of the next polling interval).

I also set up Gmail so that when I send an email, it shows up as if it were sent from my primary email account. For replies, it is sent from whichever account the original email was addressed to.

This lets me keep both my original email addresses. Changing my account to Gmail would require me to communicate my new email address to everyone. By simply forwarding my email to Gmail, I can keep my original email addresses.

Upvote 0
What I did was I forwarded my primary email account to my Gmail account. My secondary email account is just imported into Gmail. I did this because I liked the push mail feature of Gmail. Now when I get an email (on my primary account), I am notified instantly (instead of the next polling interval).

I also set up Gmail so that when I send an email, it shows up as if it were sent from my primary email account. For replies, it is sent from whichever account the original email was addressed to.

This lets me keep both my original email addresses. Changing my account to Gmail would require me to communicate my new email address to everyone. By simply forwarding my email to Gmail, I can keep my original email addresses.

By forwarding the emails don't you still have to go to your primary account to clear the inbox?

Upvote 0
It's all a personal preference thing, but I like to keep my emails separate. I have two hotmail accounts: one hotmail.com, and one hotmail.ca. My hotmail.com account is an older email that I now use to register to forums and any other internet activity. I find this keeps my other emails free from spam and whatnot.

I do have my three email accounts "joined" on my Android phone using the email app, but I also use the separate Gmail app, which is great.

Well my method does keep them separate. Emails for the different accounts go to a specific label. Therefore you could say that gmail is just a placeholder for different email accounts (labels).

Thats exactly what the guide explains :p

By forwarding the emails don't you still have to go to your primary account to clear the inbox?

The source email account? Forget about ever going there again. If you are gonna run out of space on there (which is so unlikely nowadays) then pop in every so often and delete everything. But yeah theres np need to even go there any more.

Upvote 0
Well my method does keep them separate. Emails for the different accounts go to a specific label. Therefore you could say that gmail is just a placeholder for different email accounts (labels).

Thats exactly what the guide explains :p

The source email account? Forget about ever going there again. If you are gonna run out of space on there (which is so unlikely nowadays) then pop in every so often and delete everything. But yeah theres np need to even go there any more.

I don't agree with that because you never know what reason you may have to use it again in the future.

Doesn't matter though because I saw with my roadrunner account settings, I can set it to forward to gmail then delete from roadrunner.

Upvote 0
We all know the gmail app is better than the different stock emails apps that come with phones, so why not just utilise gmail for every email account you have?
Better is always highly subjective, regardless of topic. Even the existing replies clearly indicate that people don't always prefer the gmail app. The stock email app isn't the only option out there. There are certainly those that prefer K9, MailDroid, Touchdown, etc etc. The world isn't one-size-fits-all. This is certainly a useful solution for some but it won't necessarily suit everyone out there.

Also, be careful using Hotmail as an example for this "best" approach. Hotmail does support ActiveSync. It doesn't have to be set up as POP any more.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones