• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to bring"Move app to SD card" option hidden missing in android 5.1.1 app2sd link2sd giving error

kumaranil13k

Jan 10, 2020
Question :-.How to bring"Move app to SD card" option hidden missing in android 5.1.1 app2sd link2sd giving error?

I have two mobiles of same company with different model **both having same os android 5.1.1** sharing below screenshot of about phone of both mobiles

Lyf water 7 ls 5004 about phone

bAP5n.png

Lyf wind 6 ls 5009 about phone

O2nj7.jpg

But one of the mobile model Lyf wind 6 ls-5009 (with 8gb internal memory) is showing "Move to SD card" option in setting apps but another mobile model Lyf water 7 ls 5504 (internal memory 16gb) one is missing locked not showing option for same app "move to sd card" may be locked by OEM. Screenshot of same app settings for both mobile option pasted below.

Lyf wind 6 ls 5009 app info (move to sd card option available)

ydfm1.jpg

https://www.linkpicture.com/q/c0Gpg.jpg

Lyf water 7 ls 5504 app info (move to sd card missing)

rLM1T.png

https://www.linkpicture.com/q/z81Ra.png

My queries

1. How to unlock unhide view or see the same option "move to sd" in another model lyf water 7 of android 5.1.1 by modifying the settings through any adb shell fastboot or terminal with or without rooting the mobile.

2. I tried app manager III or app2sd or link2sd apps on unrooted and rooted mobile to do the same but all fails to move the apps. All apps when move to sd option clicked they open take me open same dialogue box window to originals settings>app>appinfo option to move apps ( as shown in screenshot above) and there no option of move app to sd

Link2sd when app moved to move to sd it gave following error and link to sd is grayed out (Link2SD is grayed out because no partition mounted into /data/sdext2 how to mount) and disabled and not working (even on rooted phone)

Code:
Failure

pkg: /data/app/
com.gmail.heagoo.sdcardmovable-1/
base.apk Failure
[INSTALL FAILED INVALID_INSTALL LOC
ATION]

Failure

pkg: /data/app/
com.gmail.heagoo.sdcardmovable-1/
base.apk Failure
[INSTALL FAILED INVALID_INSTALL LOC
ATION]

5fvK1.png

https://www.linkpicture.com/q/Screenshot_2021-09-26-11-36-04.png

3. I tried adb shell pm set-install-location 2 in rooted mobile it's changed succesfully but still apps installed through Google Play Store or apkpure do not installs automatically to external sd card they still installing in internal storage not

3. I know all apps are not movable as their app mainfest don't allow I had tried to edit apk editor default prefered install location to external still same app without editing the app is moving to sd card in one mobile and no option of moving not showing option in another mobile with same android 5.1.1 same app same kernal version same.company but different models it means there is some setting lock or change how can we modify or unlock that option .

4. Any more setting I can alter to get the result of moving apps to sd card on my lyf water 7 ls 5504.Any adb shell command. I don't know if its locked in rom or hardware incompatibility then will 3rd party custom rom available in xda may be android 6.03 or android 7.1.1 or android 8,9,10 will allow or have such option and work in the same mobile or not

5. If there is any hardware or rom uncompatibilty or lock by manufacturer or vendor I am worried if I install custom rom of android 6.0.3 marshemellow or android 7.1.1 then will they have such option or not to move app to sd or to format as as internal in both custom rom

Last edited:
first off the move to sd card does not completely move the apps to the card. it mostly moves data and does not really save you room on your phone.

second if apps2sd or link2sd does not work......i'm not sure there is anything else you can do with this phone, other than to get a new phone as i suggested many times in your other threads.

Reactions: puppykickr
Upvote 0
@ocnbrze bro thankx for your reply and sharing your precious time advice opinion and time.

first off the move to sd card does not completely move the apps to the card. it mostly moves data and does not really save you room on your phone.

@ocnbrze bro yes move to sd move partial files as hex odb and lib cache don't move as they are used randomly and placed in internal and less frequent used is moved to sd card which is good. As moving more frequent used files will make phone slower as random read and write speed of micro ad is slower than internal rom so it's good if it rear on internal and it's good if few space is moved to external not all.

Second if apps2sd or link2sd does not work......i'm not sure there is anything else you can do with this phone

@ocnbrze bro yes app2sd and link2sd is giving eroor but what I found that after googling the eroor of link2sd on xda forum someone else query link share below that the vendor manufacturer have programmed and changed the external sd card drive mount name change and it link2sd can't found /data/sdext2 mounted by this name so is there any way to mount with any script in boot.int though app or some tools in rooted phone

https://forum.xda-developers.com/t/q-link2sd-error-invalid-install-location.2151747/

ther than to get a new phone as i suggested many times in your other threads.

@ocnbrze bro yes you have suggested I am planning and waiting for Amazon sale on year end Christmas and.diwali festival in India to get samsung galaxy m31 or 42 5g but want to use the old lyf mobiles for apps testing R&D to keep selective apps and files on the samsung new set and tear try multiple apps websites on lyf mobiles . So I need space to test and move and edit apps to the external sd card to old mobiles. It will help me learning education for android troubleshooting to..secondly I want in samsung mobiles to see if they support adoptable storage. Or move to sd bcoz I want to keep my internal tidy and keep apps files on cloud or external and keep atleaar 2-4 gb free space on internal memory for urgent and fast working and external to save NANDROID or apps or videos ..as I want to do video editing and graphic designing ono mobile to ...an handy short video graphic designing work let's see

Upvote 0
@ocnbrze bro yes you have suggested I am planning and waiting for Amazon sale on year end Christmas and.diwali festival in India to get samsung galaxy m31 or 42 5g but want to use the old lyf mobiles for apps testing R&D to keep selective apps and files on the samsung new set and tear try multiple apps websites on lyf mobiles . So I need space to test and move and edit apps to the external sd card to old mobiles. It will help me learning education for android troubleshooting to..secondly I want in samsung mobiles to see if they support adoptable storage. Or move to sd bcoz I want to keep my internal tidy and keep apps files on cloud or external and keep atleaar 2-4 gb free space on internal memory for urgent and fast working and external to save NANDROID or apps or videos ..as I want to do video editing and graphic designing ono mobile to ...an handy short video graphic designing work let's see

I can tell you now Samsung devices don't support adoptable storage, well not without rooting and suitable custom ROMs, and/or any of the methods you've already tried with your present phone. Also when choosing a phone for what you want to do, check that it can be rooted and that is has a good developer community....
NO devs = NO fun.

Upvote 0
@mikedt bro thanx for your reply and sharing for your precious time knowledge opinion experience and suggestion to obliged greatful and thanks a lot

I can tell you now Samsung devices don't support adoptable storage, well not without rooting and suitable custom ROMs, and/or any of the methods you've already tried with your present phone. Also when choosing a phone for what you want to do, check that it can be rooted and that is has a good developer community....
NO devs = NO fun.

@mikedt bro thanx a lot... kindly advice suggest Which brand smartphone and which model except samsung in indian market have android version which supports adoptable storage, force app to external storage, move app to sd card with 128gb internal memory 6gb ram and 6000mah battery and 64mega pixel quad camera and octa+octa core processors bro oppo, vivo, oneplus, realme, xaiomi or any which have good devloper community custom rom and plus features and mostly app movable features adoptable storage and bootloader OEM can be unlocked

Upvote 0
Upvote 0
@ocnbrze bro I think type or rental phone I don't think this concept.is in India people will prefer cheper Chinese smart phone then paying rent for it..

It is not really that way.

A 'burner phone' is a phone that is usually locked to a single cellular provider for a year or so.
The phone is bought at a great discount because of this.

In this way, a person with little money can have a decent phone.

You do not really rent it, but pay for minutes/data periodically.

After the year or so is up, you can have the provider unlock the device for you.

The drawbacks are that these devices are usually 1-3 model years old, and so by the time the term is up they are even more out of date.

The good news is that you can buy one and never pay for anything more if you only use the device on Wi-Fi.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is not really that way.

A 'burner phone' is a phone that is usually locked to a single cellular provider for a year or so.
The phone is bought at a great discount because of this.

In this way, a person with little money can have a decent phone.

You do not reallt rent it, but pay for minutes/data periodically.

After the year or so is up, you can have the provider unlock the device for you.

The drawbacks are that these devices are usually 1-3 model years old, and so by the time the term is up they are even more out of date.

The good news is that you can buy one and never pay for anything more if you only use the device on Wi-Fi.
@ocnbrze bro okay but in India I don't think cellular companies provide such service they sell Chinese phone with their brand name I have to purchased 5 year before this mobile lyf water 7 (the mobile device I asked in question)from Jio India as they were giving free unlimited 4gb as launching offer for first 6 moths but mobile config is no ot much but they cost high 8k -12k

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones