• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

How to bypass "tethering block" on Three network?

3 UK. :rolleyes: been there done that.

It's unlimited if you're just using it on your phone, with the default browser. Change your browser and 3 will accuse you of tethering.

That should work, you're basically spoofing the browser User Agent String, to be the same as the default one. The evidence so far would indicate that 3 UK uses deep packet inspection to detect tethering.
Yessss . I phoned 3 and asked them about this .. and the newbie said yes they are packet sniffing. And you know what !! They put me straight back onto the one plan with unlimited tethering

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Any should work i update mine every month to the last build just make sure you have root.
This is the sort of speed I get on my TV now

Attachments

• 20150915_190244.jpg
    20150915_190244.jpg
    208.7 KB · Views: 246
Upvote 0
Yessss . I phoned 3 and asked them about this .. and the newbie said yes they are packet sniffing. And you know what !! They put me straight back onto the one plan with unlimited tethering
Hi mowe13, so three put you back on the 'the one' plan with unlimited tethering? Like a few of my friends I have been on the one plan for some time on a rolling sim only contract but one of my friends has just had a text saying this plan no longer exists and he has to change plans with a max 8gb of tethering. I'm just waiting for a text! Thanks

Reactions: mowe13
Upvote 0
I'm on 3 PAYG , my phone is a Huawei Y500 I bought for peanuts from EE about a year ago and came already unlocked. And for the past year I've had NO problems teathering, what so ever to my Hudle 2 tablet. But if I try to use an older Huawei 300 I did buy from 3 then I can't teather at all. So, that suggests try using a phone bought from anywhere apart from 3 so it doesn't contain any code from 3 that stops you from teathering. Just a thought.

Upvote 0
Hello people.

I could really do with your help. I have been on the One plan for 4 years and it is coming to an end on the 20th of November and without being mellow dramatic - this is going to be like having a limb removed. I have worked out that I have spend at least £2000 on Three, and as a loyal customer there was nothing they could do but say hard luck, the major problem is that I am a property guardian and there is no way of me getting static internet where I live, so I either move (this is my home) or I have no films or gaming or any of the other perks that this service provides.

It really amazes me that they can't put an bolt on to contracts for the select heavy users like ourselves. I average about 100 Gb per month because this is my only source of internet, I have been unable to upgrade as my contract finished in July so I am stuck with a battered old S4.
12Gb on their new deals simply isn't enough! I am not that savvy - so any non too technical advice on how to get round this problem would be very much appreciated.

Desperate

London.

Upvote 0
Hello people.

I could really do with your help. I have been on the One plan for 4 years and it is coming to an end on the 20th of November and without being mellow dramatic - this is going to be like having a limb removed. I have worked out that I have spend at least £2000 on Three, and as a loyal customer there was nothing they could do but say hard luck, the major problem is that I am a property guardian and there is no way of me getting static internet where I live, so I either move (this is my home) or I have no films or gaming or any of the other perks that this service provides.

It really amazes me that they can't put an bolt on to contracts for the select heavy users like ourselves. I average about 100 Gb per month because this is my only source of internet, I have been unable to upgrade as my contract finished in July so I am stuck with a battered old S4.
12Gb on their new deals simply isn't enough! I am not that savvy - so any non too technical advice on how to get round this problem would be very much appreciated.

Desperate

London.

100 GB... I feel your pain.. but that is a lot for any wireless provider.
I am not in your area / country to even know of any options that you might have.

Satellite TV (ex: Direct TV in USA) have internet service, but not cheap and not that fast. you might find something like that.
you will have to evaluate if that is something you want to give up on other things to afford it.

I have also read that Google is working on a project with Balloons (like weather balloons) to bring internet to places like yours. but that maybe a few years away.

good luck

Upvote 0
anyone else managed to get around this? ive got the exact same issue with sim009 as the error code.

I am trying to tether via usb and ive tried wifi on my windows laptop
I have also tried to mask and emulate the headers of an android browser on my windows machine but it keeps refering me to the Three page saying im tethering and its blocked.

Any help would be seriously appreciated

Thanks

Upvote 0
I have a LG G3 on three.co.uk.

Having followed the above procedure (changing tether_dun_required to value 0) I tried tethering on a friend's laptop - and bingo - tethering working fine.

After the weekend had passed, back on my personal laptop - tethering now not working (three limit reached warning page on browser) - I checked the tether_dun entry and it had reverted back to "1". I changed back to "0" and it still would not work.

I have now tried tethering on my work laptop - and it is working with no problems - so it seems three keep note of the IP address of the computer that you reach the limit on?

Upvote 0
I have a LG G3 on three.co.uk.

Having followed the above procedure (changing tether_dun_required to value 0) I tried tethering on a friend's laptop - and bingo - tethering working fine.

After the weekend had passed, back on my personal laptop - tethering now not working (three limit reached warning page on browser) - I checked the tether_dun entry and it had reverted back to "1". I changed back to "0" and it still would not work.

I have now tried tethering on my work laptop - and it is working with no problems - so it seems three keep note of the IP address of the computer that you reach the limit on?

create a new apn
call it three
set the apn as three.co.uk

enter nothing else.

try that!!!

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I have a HTC One M8 (bought sim free - i.e with no Three software) and am on the Three One plan with unlimited data and 8GB Tethering allowance. I'm based in the UK. I was able to tether above the 8GB limit when my HTC ran lollipop (Three couldn't detect that I was tethering at all), However since upgrading the software to Marshmallow Three are able to detect my tethering. My APN is called "3" and is set to "three.co.uk" - do any of you know how either a) I can stop three from detecting my tethering or b) I can go back to Android Lollipop?

Thanks for your help.

Upvote 0
Hi all,

I have a HTC One M8 (bought sim free - i.e with no Three software) and am on the Three One plan with unlimited data and 8GB Tethering allowance. I'm based in the UK. I was able to tether above the 8GB limit when my HTC ran lollipop (Three couldn't detect that I was tethering at all), However since upgrading the software to Marshmallow Three are able to detect my tethering. My APN is called "3" and is set to "three.co.uk" - do any of you know how either a) I can stop three from detecting my tethering or b) I can go back to Android Lollipop?

Thanks for your help.

You could try this
Go to access point names
Add a new APN
Put all details in exactly as the 3 - three.co.uk APN but call it something else, and change the APN type from default,supl to default.
Select to use the new APN
It may work, it does connect to the internet and you can tether while connected to it. Worth a try.

Upvote 0
You could try this
Go to access point names
Add a new APN
Put all details in exactly as the 3 - three.co.uk APN but call it something else, and change the APN type from default,supl to default.
Select to use the new APN
It may work, it does connect to the internet and you can tether while connected to it. Worth a try.

Thanks for the idea Ebsy. I tried it, but unfortunately it didnt work. Appreciate the help though!

Upvote 0
Hi,

I'm not from England and I'm traveling to France in a few months for a week, so I'm planning to get a Three sim on ebay so I can have data while traveling,
From my understanding I can use Three Feel At Home in France and it's cheaper than get a local sim.
I plan to use this sim in a unlocked MIFI Huawei router or in my Android phone to share the connection only with mobile devices (tablet / phone).

It's safe to use a PAYG Sim with all you can eat data or should I go with a Broadband sim to avoid problems and eventually the sim cancellation?

Thanks

Upvote 0
All I have managed to come up with sofar without rooting is this . Three have now even started blocking individual aps like kodi . And have now reduced my tether to zero even though I am still on the one plan .
Vpn works but only on the hand set itself so ,I use pdanet+ to connect direct to a laptop but this is recognised so then I run the vpn alongside pdanet for usb tether .
Now for some reason when I set up the laptops network to use as hotspot It has a problem .But if I download a simple wifi hotspot .exe it works and I can connect any device but the traffic is eratic. Anyone else want to try this and post results plse .peace ,love,and light

Upvote 0
Yes . Last sept my contract was finished and I was put on the rubish new plan that had limited tether . So I called them up and asked them outright are they packet sniffing data . All of a sudden I was speaking with a manager who put me straight back onto the one plan . Strange . I knew that after this contract that I would have to find an alternative source for tether . But they have cut me short of my contract .
I again called them and they gave me £40 and told me they wouldn't do anything about it . And that I am entitled to cancel my contract as it is breached .

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones