• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root How-to calibrate your battery!!!!

Lefort1

Android Enthusiast
Apr 23, 2010
This wasn't my idea so I'm linking to the originator of this to give credit where credit is due:

Calibrating your battery and Android - Android Central Forums

IMO this is great for anyone who didn't fully charge their battery with their phone off when they received theirs. If you purchased a 1500mah or Seido "1750mah" battery, I think this will benefit you immensely! I did this in conjunction with Hydra's undervolt kernel and I'm at 1 day 2hrs with 25% battery life left on my HTC 1500mah battery :D:D

Did you fully charge your battery with your phone off before removing the battery file?

yes, i did.

i followed the instructions and my phone still won't charge a battery to a true 100%. it dropped to 94% within 10 minutes or so. when i charge my batteries with my external battery charger i get much much better battery life. my phone will show 100% for hours and hours when i put a battery in fresh from the external charger.

i just don't think deleting this file will do what people were hoping for. i think there is more to it.

Upvote 0
jasonb stop being a troll, on the forum that he gave us to do the battery calibration you are saying it didn't work. We Get the point it didnt work for you. I did this battery calibration, i will post results in a few days, also im running the undervolt kernel from hydra.

I need to write this down so I don't forget and end up doing it myself seeing as I am a member of several forums. Your saying if a user provides feedback on more than one forum it is considered "trolling"?

Upvote 0
People's problems with a drastic and immediate charge drop just after unplugging from the charger could be due to leaving it on the charger for too long after it's finished charging. im pretty sure all wall chargers by now have a built-in overcharge protection, which basically cuts off the power getting from the charger to the phone itself once the battery is at 100% capacity. at that point, if the phone is left on the charger, the battery level actually DROPS to around 95%, maybe a little less, and is sustained around that percentage to prevent overcharging. the result is your phones battery icon will display that its at full 100% charge, but in reality it is around 95, hence the immediate drop in battery as far as the icon knows.

My advice would be to take your phone off the charger as soon as notification light turns green and see if that helps. otherwise you will be living with this effect until better charging technology is released.

Reactions: jasonb1985
Upvote 0
Have to agree. He has helped me before.

thanks! :)

i'm sorry to chasehale10 for having to deliver bad news, but i figured id point out that from my experience this little trick didn't work. anybody who wants to try it, feel free. i can't stop anybody from trying it, but if you do, make sure your testing is controlled and accurate if you're going to come on here and claim that it works. i hate to say it's a complete waste of time and effort (for me it was), but it took literally a minute or two to delete the file and boot the phone back up, so everybody feel free to try it if you don't believe me.

my testing was very controlled and my results show that it did not make a difference on my phone. i don't really have a problem with battery life on my phone, what i did want to check was if the phone actually charges the battery to a true 100% after doing this. i killed it completely, then plugged it in and then i watched the led turn green, and decided to let it sit and charge for another half hour or so. from my past experiences i found that if i unplugged it right as it turned green, it would stay at 100% for a while. so if i repeated that process it would have meant nothing. instead i let it charge an additional 30 minutes and then i unplugged it. within 10 to 15 seconds it was back down to 99%. i browsed the web for a couple of minutes, maybe 5 minutes tops, checked again and it was at 94%.

so it did not fix the charging issue. some people might see battery life increases, it's possible i guess. but i never had a problem with battery life. i charge my 3 batteries with an external charger and get really good battery life. i just did this hack hoping it would make the phone charge the battery like it should, but it did not.

but sorry to chasehale10 for sharing my findings on more than one android forum. i'll cease to post on all of them immediately. sorry for the inconvenience.

Upvote 0
People's problems with a drastic and immediate charge drop just after unplugging from the charger could be due to leaving it on the charger for too long after it's finished charging. im pretty sure all wall chargers by now have a built-in overcharge protection, which basically cuts off the power getting from the charger to the phone itself once the battery is at 100% capacity. at that point, if the phone is left on the charger, the battery level actually DROPS to around 95%, maybe a little less, and is sustained around that percentage to prevent overcharging. the result is your phones battery icon will display that its at full 100% charge, but in reality it is around 95, hence the immediate drop in battery as far as the icon knows.

My advice would be to take your phone off the charger as soon as notification light turns green and see if that helps. otherwise you will be living with this effect until better charging technology is released.

this is exactly what i experienced both before and after trying this. it sucks though when you put the phone on the charger when you go to bed. it sucks that it can't be at 100% when we wake up and start our day.

the only solution for me was to get an external charger. i get much better results this way. much better battery life.

Upvote 0
this is exactly what i experienced both before and after trying this. it sucks though when you put the phone on the charger when you go to bed. it sucks that it can't be at 100% when we wake up and start our day.

the only solution for me was to get an external charger. i get much better results this way. much better battery life.

which is funny because there are people who will swear that charging our batteries in an external charger ruins them because they were "meant to be charged in the phone".

Upvote 0
which is funny because there are people who will swear that charging our batteries in an external charger ruins them because they were "meant to be charged in the phone".

are you one of those people?

i don't claim to be a battery expert or anything so i don't really know. all i do know is that it charges them fuller than the phone. maybe it is bad, but they never even get warm or anything so i doubt they are over charging. the charger i use is also only a 350MA charge, so it charges them much slower than the phone plugged into the wall.

Upvote 0
are you one of those people?

i don't claim to be a battery expert or anything so i don't really know. all i do know is that it charges them fuller than the phone. maybe it is bad, but they never even get warm or anything so i doubt they are over charging. the charger i use is also only a 350MA charge, so it charges them much slower than the phone plugged into the wall.

lol no im not one of those people. im just showing how ironic it is that people who swear by a method of charging your phone and against another method, are the ones missing out on a fully charged phone.

Upvote 0
lol no im not one of those people. im just showing how ironic it is that people who swear by a method of charging your phone and against another method, are the ones missing out on a fully charged phone.

ok. just curious. i wasn't implying that you were or anything. lol

it is ironic. it's also ironic that a $5 charger from ebay charges a battery better than a $530 phone. this is my one and only real complaint about this phone though. other than this issue i love it.

my solution is for everybody to grab a second battery and one of these $5 chargers and rotate between the two batteris. i know it's a pain in the ass to have to take your case and then the back cover off, but the increased battery life is really worth it.

who knows, maybe the whole issue can be fixed with a software patch.

Upvote 0
The phone is designed for the avg user, not someone who is willing to buy extra batteries and external battery slow trickle chargers. For the avg person a daily charge is plenty to keep the phone going 24-7. It charges the battery quickly for a reason. They could have made it so that the charge takes longer and always tops off the battery 100% but this comes at the expense of long term usage and convinience. If you stick a couple widgets for gps,bluetooth,wireless and network you can get more time out of any battery. I am not on my phone all day but without the widgets I would get just enough to make it 24hours now I can go 36hours without a charge and have gone over 2 days. This is on the stock battery. Turn everything off while I sleep, and when I need a feature I pop it on. I turn it off when I'm done.

Upvote 0
pics....

Attachments

• CAP2010070321111.jpg
    CAP2010070321111.jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 160
  • CAP2010070321111(2).jpg
    CAP2010070321111(2).jpg
    143.6 KB · Views: 169
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones