• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root HOW TO: Change Android system fonts (root req)

tymogr

Jun 14, 2010
Hello world! This guide will teach you how to change the fonts on your rooted Droid Eris. I'm not sure if this works for all Android phones, so backup your phone before proceeding. This DOES change key Android files, so be careful. If you brick your phone, it's not my fault.

First of all, go to this website and find a font you like:

1001 Free Fonts - Download Free Fonts for Windows and Macintosh

The file you download should be a .zip, and when unzipped be in the format .TTF. Copy the .TTF file to your SD card. I suggest SDCard/Fonts/. After finding a nice font, download Type Fresh from the Market (free). Also, pick up AndExplorer (free) while you're there. Type Fresh will allow you to change your fonts, and Andexplorer is used as a handy file explorer.

Run Type Fresh, and it will display all the system fonts that Android uses. Touch DroidSans, and it will display a window using AndExplorer. At this point it should request superuser permissions; allow it. Find the folder with your fonts, select a font, and press okay. Press menu and select apply fonts. Allow it to reboot your phone when it asks, and afterwards you should have a nice new font to make your Eris even sexier ;D

Let me know if you have any issues that I might be able to help with. I'm busy with work and being social and whatnot, but will try to get back to you as fast as I can.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones